Shoes for walking?

Options
AmesLee78
AmesLee78 Posts: 111
My husband and I went walking today. We walked about 2 1/2 miles. By the time we were done I had HUGE blisters on both feet. I was wearing VANs skate shoes. Obviously not made for long walks. Can someone recommend a good walking shoe..something in the 50-70 dollar range? Thanks!

Replies

• BryanAir
    BryanAir Posts: 434
    Options
    New Balance makes some good walking shoes, although you'll probably get blisters for a while regardless. Good socks can help with that.
  • AmesLee78
    AmesLee78 Posts: 111
    Options
    Oy..I have to worry about my socks too? LOL
  • waverly9876
    waverly9876 Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    I was partially paralyzed and was wearing the Reebok Easy Tones which made me walk worse. I was told by my friend who works at a pediatrist to get New Balance shoes. I used to hate them but I went in and got fitted and they are the best thing ever. I am walking so great now. They are over 100 but they are well worth the money. I wear orthodics in them and they feel amazing. I would spend a little bit more to have sneakers that will help your feet.
  • ewhitis
    ewhitis Posts: 132
    Options
    I know it's wierd but.....use underarm anti persperant (I know I spelled it wrong) on your feet before putting on your socks.It will keep your feet from sweating and reduce the friction!
  • JennMuc
    JennMuc Posts: 70
    Options
    I, too, love my new balance shoes. I didn't get fitted but would like too some day...I got mine from CostCo (or maybe it was Sam's Club) and they were around $50. I love them!
  • CallejaFairey
    CallejaFairey Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    i started a new job where i was walking and on my feet most of the day, i had to give in and get new shoes too, and the person at the shoe place i went to recommended the Sketchers shape-ups. i didn't care about the shape-up part, but they are made for walking, so the comfy part was what i wondered about. i love them! my feet and legs took a few days to get used to them, but after that, my feet sure don't feel like i have been on them all day. idk what they are in US dollars, they were $90 canadian for me.
  • Elleinnz
    Elleinnz Posts: 1,661 Member
    Options
    I absolutely love my Merrell's - I have a pair of Siren Sport for serious walking and the gym and a pair of Lorelei Zip for rushing around town - 15 minute walk to work....
  • nfanning3
    nfanning3 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    shoes are gonna be so different for each person. there is such inticate technology involved for dif stuff, go to a decent athletic store that can show you and expain to them what you need. hibbett sports, lady foot locker or athletes foot are great, if you have them. new balance come in a variety of price ranges and widths. nike and aasics are great choices with a wide range of options. just be careful cause they are all made with support and stablility designed for dif types of feet and activity.
  • chicone
    chicone Posts: 17
    Options
    I asked my shoe store people what kind of shoes to get for walking. They recommended running shoes. They are lightweight, breathable and super comfy. I've have the Adidas Supernova 3 I think. Before that I had Adidas Sequence. They are wonderful!!! The Sequence were about 70, the Supernova's are about 100. When it comes to your feet, you can't skimp. I would get the best running shoes you can afford. You're feet will thank you... (cheesey... isn't it!!???!?!?!?) LOL

I've also had Saucony shoes and they are pretty good too.
  • klyttle
    klyttle Posts: 9
    Options
    I too went to the shoe store which recommend the running shoes. I participated in the Komen 3 day walk (60 miles for breast cancer!) and needed good shoes. I bought a pair of $160 shoes. They were great for the walk, but the next 60 mile walk I did, I found I again needed another pair of good shoes for my next journey but couldn't afford the expensive shoes again. I went to Academy and bought a pair of Reebok Avon Walk for Breast Cancer Millennium Running Shoe which worked GREAT! I still wear them and they've lasted a lot longer than the expensive shoes. The anti-blister socks helped too if you're more prone to blisters at first. Once you break them in though, you should be fine.
  • klyttle
    klyttle Posts: 9
    Options
    P.S....I save the Vans for casual wear. Love my Cara Beth's!