Barfing after weight training

Options
I had my first session with a trainer yesterday and about 50 minutes in, I felt nauseous. I had to cut the session short by 5 minutes, and then felt really yucky for about an hour after. I had dinner and then started feeling sick before bed. Again this morning, I am not feeling 100%. Is it normal to feel barfy after a weight training session? how long should it last? how do I make it go away? and how can I prevent it next time?

Replies

• yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options
    Drop the intensity OP. You're going too hard.

BTW No I have never felt that way after weight training. Cardio yes plenty of times.
  • thop83
    thop83 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Personally, it affects me when I eat a lot of carbs or overeat right before heading to the gym. Another side effect could be feeling drowsy or lazy after a few minutes in the gym. You could also be over exerting your body which may not be as prepared for the workout as you may think.
  • HamsterManV2
    HamsterManV2 Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    Too much too fast = barfing.

The goal is to improve yourself in the long run, not exert yourself so much that you actually harm yourself and slow the progress. Talk to your trailer (YOU ARE PAYING HIM/HER, THEY BETTER LISTEN TO YOU), adjust the intensity accordingly, and go from there!

Some trainers want you to feel like you 'worked so hard, this trainer must be good' and make you do all sorts of exercises because they believe sweaty = hard work = good trainer. You should be gradually improving instead of suddenly thrown into workout that is beyond you. Keep that in mind.
  • AlisonH729
    AlisonH729 Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    Since it was your first session I'm going to bet it was a overexertion.

Sometimes too much water during a workout will make me nauseated. Or being a little dehydrated prior to. Yesterday was pretty warm & humid and I had to back off a bit.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    No, it's not normal. The best way to avoid it is to not do you're next session while you have the flu. Or pregnant.

Congrats on the upcoming baby!
  • jmac4263
    jmac4263 Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    I agree lifting weights I have never been sick like that but after a really long cardio training yes!! Hope you find answers and don't give up on the weights!
  • belle975
    belle975 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    DavPul wrote: »
    No, it's not normal. The best way to avoid it is to not do you're next session while you have the flu. Or pregnant.

Congrats on the upcoming baby!

LOL!! I am not prego or have the flu. But thanks :smile:
  • belle975
    belle975 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Too much too fast = barfing.

The goal is to improve yourself in the long run, not exert yourself so much that you actually harm yourself and slow the progress. Talk to your trailer (YOU ARE PAYING HIM/HER, THEY BETTER LISTEN TO YOU), adjust the intensity accordingly, and go from there!

Some trainers want you to feel like you 'worked so hard, this trainer must be good' and make you do all sorts of exercises because they believe sweaty = hard work = good trainer. You should be gradually improving instead of suddenly thrown into workout that is beyond you. Keep that in mind.

I called my trainer and let him know I was feeling sick. He said we would go easier. Thanks.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    belle975 wrote: »
    I had my first session with a trainer yesterday and about 50 minutes in, I felt nauseous. I had to cut the session short by 5 minutes, and then felt really yucky for about an hour after. I had dinner and then started feeling sick before bed. Again this morning, I am not feeling 100%. Is it normal to feel barfy after a weight training session? how long should it last? how do I make it go away? and how can I prevent it next time?

I'm going to go on the limb and suggest you go see a doctor too. I wouldn't be so sure this is because of overtraining. Sounds more like you caught a bug.