Question about power racks

Options
So, my gym has three Kaiser power racks, in addition to our real squat racks and, while I regularly use them as overpriced squat racks/benches, I've never actually used the pressurized air function instead of free weights.
Last night, I had to ask one of the PTs to help me remove the bar you use with the air pressure because I wanted to use the rack and ended up getting a lengthy lecture about how much better air is than iron. I didn't really get what he meant, so I'm coming to MFP.
Has anybody ever used the Kaiser air power racks? Is there some sort of advantage to the system? I may be old school, but it seems like an unnecessary complication. Thoughts?

Replies

• yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options
    So you move air instead of weights?
  • SBRRepeat
    SBRRepeat Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    yopeeps025 wrote: »
    So you move air instead of weights?

Yeah, the bar weighs about 5 pounds and is attached to pullies and the resistance is regulated by air pressure.
    You have full range of motion, unlike a smith machine, but I don't really understand the advantage over actual weight.
  • HamsterManV2
    HamsterManV2 Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    I tried to google it and only saw some cables pulling the bar down... That's basically using bands or chains on the bar for advanced lifters who need to train the top of the squat or deadlift (as you pull further away from the floor, the resistance increases and it takes more work at the top of the rep).

For 100% of beginner lifters, that is unnecessary. Of course I am not sure what this special rack actually does so correct me if I am wrong.
  • Mycophilia
    Mycophilia Posts: 1,225 Member
    Options
    Unless there's some gauge for the air pressure it would be a nightmare to use with progressive overload. If the resistance is constant I don't see how this is any different than just using plates.
  • SBRRepeat
    Options
    I tried to google it and only saw some cables pulling the bar down... That's basically using bands or chains on the bar for advanced lifters who need to train the top of the squat or deadlift (as you pull further away from the floor, the resistance increases and it takes more work at the top of the rep).

For 100% of beginner lifters, that is unnecessary. Of course I am not sure what this special rack actually does so correct me if I am wrong.

Sounds like you googled the right thing. I think the idea is to always use pressurized air (that's what the cables pulling the bar down are for) instead of actual weight to improve... Something... Form? Power, maybe?

I've been lifting for 18ish months, but really just to supplement race training. Was just curious if anybody was familiar with this contraption.
  • SBRRepeat
    Options
    Mycophilia- there's a big screen that gives you the weight you're lifting and a little pump to change air pressure, so it may actually be quicker than adding/removing plates.
  • HamsterManV2
    HamsterManV2 Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    OK then, but I don't see how it is "superior" to regular ol' weights. In fact, if the resistance is constant, it's the exact same thing. If anything, you can adjust the bands to pull the bar at an angle away from you instead of straight down, but I don't see how that can possibly simulate any training better than what there is now... Maybe practice for lifting in a typhoon?
  • madhatter2013
    madhatter2013 Posts: 1,547 Member
    Options
    Sounds like a hassle to me...
  • SBRRepeat
    Options
    Sounds like a hassle to me...

Lol, I'm glad you think so. I've been trying to figure out the possible advantages since I joined the gym last year and I always end up deciding it can't possibly be worth the extra effort.

Plus, if no one can tell whether I'm squatting 5 lbs or 150lbs, how is anybody going to be impressed by my mad skillz? :wink:
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Sounds gimmicky. At best it's going to only be as good as normal iron weight training.

Unless maybe you can adjust in very small increments? New PR of 347.19932LBS, guys!
  • shor0814
    shor0814 Posts: 559 Member
    Options
    I watched the video and I am not convinced. Trainer adding/dropping weight mid set or mid lift? No improved safety that I can see and what are the mechanisms for preventing a spike in resistance mid lift causing you to crash and burn? Still seems to need plates as well, I assume for any substantial weight? A lot of complexity for few to no advantage from what I can see.