Which is better?

Options
Which is better? Low carb lifestyle or just remaining under the allotted 1200 calories per day? I try to eat low carb a lot of the time but then sometimes I give in and eat something like potatoes..Does this mess with anyone else? Like you feel like you didn't lose because u ate the potatoes (that were boiled)!!

Replies

• Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    Whatever works for you is best. If you want to eat potatos and can lose weight while eating potatos, eat potatos.
  • strong_curves
    strong_curves Posts: 2,229 Member
    Options
    Whichever works for you but its a good idea to not always eat under 1200 cals a day.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    Even if you choose a low carbohydrate diet, you still have to be in a calorie deficit to lose weight. If low carb meets your other goals (some people feel it helps control their hunger), go for it. But you don't have to avoid carbs to lose weight and calories are going to be important either way.
  • rosesteph
    rosesteph Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Sometimes I allow myself more but then I walk on my treadmill. I have been doing a cheat day as well...Where I allow myself some guilty pleasures minus guilt
  • rosesteph
    rosesteph Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Thanks to everyone for input
  • Gska17
    Gska17 Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    As others have said, whatever works for you. I'm a pasta & bread fiend. I just measure/weigh it and enjoy. :)
  • sherbear702
    sherbear702 Posts: 649 Member
    Options
    You're trying to stay under 1,200 calories a day? Why? Are you doing low carbs for health reasons or because you think carbs are the devil?
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    1200 is really low. Are you sure that is the best setting for you?

I do LCHF, and I usually eat 1400-1800 calories per day. As the others said, calorie deficit is the main part of weight loss.

LCHF is a way of eating. The first week or so is a hard adjustment for some. It does pass so hang in there if you decide to do it.
  • Faith4eva31
    Faith4eva31 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    I think whatever works best for you. I have found that none of that stuff really works for me. I usually try and do everything in moderation. I stick with whole grains and higher protein. 1200 calorie mark is good for me because I usually try and eat about 1400-1500 because my exercise burns that all down to 1200...
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    Options
    If you have diabetes or insulin resistance then low carb might be best for you, even if you do go off plan now and then. If you don't have any medical conditions that require you to go low carb, then you just need to create a calorie deficit in whatever manner seems most sustainable for you.
  • paris458
    paris458 Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    I did low carb for a long time and my weight would fluctuate alot lose some gain some. it wasnt until I started eating 1200 and logging that I am losing the last of the weight that I need to. I realized its not the carbs that make me gain weight but the overall calories. I still eat fairly low carbs because they make me more hungry but I dont avoid them all together.
  • rsclause
    rsclause Posts: 3,103 Member
    Options
    I eat fruit every morning and an apple for a snack. I have found that if I keep bread to a minimum and avoid potatoes, I do well. I don't avoid sweet potatoes but limit myself to only a half. Other that that I would follow the deficit that MFP comes up with. Going way below that made me feel bad and really didn't cause me to lose weight. I always do better eating at a slight deficit with exercise.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    Whatever works for you, as everyone else has said. Each person's ideal macro mix is different and you need to find what works for you.
  • BWBTrish
    BWBTrish Posts: 2,817 Member
    Options
    Whatever makes you feel good and happy :)
    I eat it all and lost over 100 pounds in 8.5 months

Only thing i cut out is added salt and sugar ( this for medical reasons) But i eat fruit and occasional honey, a doughnut, pizza fries etc etc

But i weigh EVERYTHING I dont use cups, spoons or serving sizes. I cook from scratch. I started with 1200 calories a day and now i am up to 1400 a day.

So do what suits you :) There are no bad or good foods, just too much food ( if you dont have medical issues of course like diabetic or some kinda food intolerance).
    Just moderation is the key.