For those of you doing weight watchers...

Options
...are you enjoying it?
...how much have you lost?

I am officially starting June 4 or June 5 but I tried it out today with the points and I've done pretty well.
I did not sign up for it. I just googled all of the information.

Replies

• zoombie_bear
    zoombie_bear Posts: 963 Member
    Options
    I'm on mincavi, it's pretty much the same kind of eating, started jan15th and lost 45lbs so far
  • Raylynn87
    Raylynn87 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    i've been doing it online since october. lost 56 lbs so far.
  • purplespeckle
    purplespeckle Posts: 652
    Options

do you find it to be hard? i feel full but i don't actually feel satisfied.
    and great job on your weight loss.
  • ItsLessOfMe
    ItsLessOfMe Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    I've lost 38 lbs and I'm actually thinking about changing to calorie counting. It doesnt make sense to convert everything to points when the calories are available more directly. I did the old program but I can see how the new program with "free" fruits could be appealing. I dont know. I know I would have to count my veggies if I do calorie counting. So I'm not sure

Weight watcher works though. It's just alot of trouble converting everything to points. I've been doing points and calorie counting for a month now and I just dont wanna do both.
  • kecmorgan
    kecmorgan Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I was doing both also and I've realized that this new "Points Plus" system isn't as affective for me as the old program was. I lost about 23 lbs on the program before I plateaued. calorie counting is much a much more efficient use of my time and I can actually see where my intake is going wrong (calories, sodium, fat, etc).

Just my two cents.
  • tiffanykeaton
    tiffanykeaton Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I did weight watchers from July 2010 to about December 2010 and lost 25 lbs. it definitely works, and really helped me be accountable for my portion sizes. I feel this website does that too though. You record your food and serving size to determine your calories, just like weight watchers..but with weight watchers it just takes it one step further and you convert it into points. love this site but i did find i was more consistently going down in weight with weight watchers.
  • Mandz1984
    Mandz1984 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I've been doing the new ww program (called propoints in UK) since January and I've lost around 25 pounds. I'm not that strict so I have good weeks and bad weeks. I joined mfp a couple of months ago and sometimes I do calorie count, but I mostly just log exercise. WW does work if you follow the plan, and I think the new plan focuses more on healthy eating than the old one. But that being said I'm getting sick of paying for it so I might switch full time to mfp in a couple of weeks. I'm just a little scared to completely let it go because I've had success. I'm in two minds about the whole thing!
  • jen_42
    jen_42 Posts: 26
    Options
    I did weight watchers..lost weight but had to pay each month...they changed the point system half way through my membership...so after all the information i had put in..just went out the window..so i lost interest..with this program its simple and easy..LOVE IT!!! :bigsmile:
  • Pseudocyber
    Pseudocyber Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    I joined WW about a month before joinng MFP. I'm doing the monthly plan with WW - so it's about $40 US / month. With that, I get access to the website, which is pretty good, and can use a couple of apps on my Droid (Android) phone - so the points calculation isn't difficult - they don't count calories, since anyone can do that ... :wink:

So, instead they have a "proprietary" algorithm that takes fat, carbs, protein, and fiber and assigns "pointsplus", which are typically higher than the points. So, you get so many points per day with a minimum of 29. I started WW with 52 points, and litteraly could not eat all the points comfortably - meaning without feeling I was eating unhealthily. I wanted to start "eating right" - and could not eat that many points without resorting to eating "junk food".

So, I came over to MFP and have started logging my food here instead, with a specific goal of coming close to my calorie goal while also hitting protein, carbs, sodium, etc.

For a while, I was also logging at WW, but always coming in WAY UNDER my points - mainly because they count fruit and vegetables as "free" and zero points, while MFP still counts the calories, carbs, sugar, sodium, etc.

Since I'm trying to eat as healthy as I can - as raw as I can - more fruit and vegetables, as little processed food as is reasonable for me, avoiding meat, when I eat it go for chicken or fish in place of beef - this left me with logging food on WW but for no points ... so what is the point?

I've given up on logging at WW, and just log food here - I still go to my monthly WW weigh in, and I like getting the silly little tokens they give out for milestones, but I am thinking about quitting WW and saving my $40.

On the other hand, it gives me satisfaction to weigh in at a meeting and be losing more than others - it helps motivate me to be a little competitive in this, even though I know I'm doing it for ME.

In a nutshell, I like MFP more - but I'm still doing WW, for now. Hope this helps.

Congratulations on changing your life!!! Cheers - :drinker:
  • nikkib71
    nikkib71 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I have been following WW for a number of years, and seem to yo yo on it, since January I have been following Propoints, and great managed to maintain my weight but thats about it.. So after feeling so down, someone suggested this site, for 1 its free and so simple, so have followed for the last week and lost 2.5lbs. So ok this may be week 1 , but certainly given me the boast I need, and have cancelled my WW subscription. When i have compared what I have eatne over the past week, I was still left with 6 points per day on WW which can be between 300-400 calories, so no wonder I was not losing.
  • grassette
    grassette Posts: 976 Member
    Options
    I've done WW twice, and found it to be effective at losing weight, but did not stick with it after I hit my target weight, and starting gaining it all back at the rate of 2.5 lbs/mo. WW is expensive, but I liked the talks where you learned about strategies to get over hurdles, like banking points. The last time I lost 40 lbs, but got a real starvation response after I stopped. I was ravenous, and nothing could satisfy me. My doctor says that that was because I lost too quickly. So I am starting again, but don't want to lose so quickly this time. I'm not doing WW this time again. Too expensive. And now with a site like this one, I don't think I need to.

WW is good if you have never lost weight before, and need to learn how to do it. They are good at teaching you and giving you advice throughout the process. I am going to rely on what I learned from them, but this time, I am going to plateau at 25 lb increments on my way down and get my body used to the new weight before I lose more. I don't want to provoke that starvation response again. Any strategy to avoid yo-yo dieting is what I am going for this time.
  • Molly08
    Molly08 Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    I've been doing weight watchers (and MFP) for 5 months now. I was worried that I would be able to keep up logging on two websites, but honestly it has been worth it. I have kept MFP mainly because of the friends I had made here before weight watchers and I like to see if I'm overdoing the free fruits. I've lost 49.7lbs since I signed up January 7th 2011 and am still going strong. I've averaged a 2.1lb loss a week and am hoping to have lost just over 100lbs by my 1 year anniversary.
  • Raylynn87
    Raylynn87 Posts: 12 Member
    Options

do you find it to be hard? i feel full but i don't actually feel satisfied.
    and great job on your weight loss.

thank you. :) yes, it's still hard just being on a diet in general. i still crave bad stuff, and im a night time snacker and i eat when im bored (not good, i know). i just don't eat as badly as i used to. and i don't drink soda. that alone has really helped with the weight loss.

im reading the other comments that people are leaving about weight watchers and how they prefer this site. i've been sticking with the weight watchers online program (going by that for my diet) but i like going on here and getting a bigger picture of how im eating: seeing how many calories im allotted a day and how many calories and sodium i take in each day (neither which are measured on weight watchers). i also like being on this site because i find it easier to connect with people on here rather than weight watchers.

but either program is not going to be easy, but they help you in the long-run with a successful weight loss. good luck with your weight loss, and if you have any questions, don't hesitate to ask. :)
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!