Tough day grocery shopping

Options
i try not to go to the grocery store hungry. Wasn't particularly hungry today, but man! Everything on those shelves looked good. Read lots of labels and decided it just wasn't worth it for this chocolate bar or those cookies. Stayed strong and didn't buy any trigger foods, but am having a difficult time accepting that this is my life from now on... Anybody feel the same way/ have perspective?

Replies

• 365andstillalive
    365andstillalive Posts: 663 Member
    Options
    I'm an IIFYM eater; my biggest struggle is making sure I get enough protein sources in the cart haha

I don't restrict anything, so for me, the biggest change is just that I don't eat as much of stuff as I did a few years ago.

I suppose the best suggestion is to make a list beforehand?
  • MamaBirdBoss
    MamaBirdBoss Posts: 1,516 Member
    Options
    I don't go down those aisles. :)

I'm an IIFYM eater, but most of the junk doesn't taste all that good. If I'm going to spend calories on something really calorie dense, it had better be AMAZING. So I bake when I've got a serious itch.
  • PixelPuff
    PixelPuff Posts: 901 Member
    Options
    Well, it is your life up until you hit your goal weight. When you switch to maintenance, you'll have more calories to eat, which means it'll be a bit easier to plan around snacks! I'm eating 1200 calories per day, but I plan very well to include things I like... For instance, Chinese from my favorite restaurant, Hershey's Milk Chocolate, etc. But all within my calories! It'll be much easier when I switch to maintenance.
  • superfox12082
    superfox12082 Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    I think you just made a big step! I do the same thing, I read labels and decide whether the calories/crappy ingredients are worth it. 99% of the time I put the item back on the shelf (it's usually too expensive also). Remember a small treat every now and then isn't going to ruin your diet. :smiley:
  • barbecuesauce
    barbecuesauce Posts: 1,779 Member
    Options
    i try not to go to the grocery store hungry. Wasn't particularly hungry today, but man! Everything on those shelves looked good. Read lots of labels and decided it just wasn't worth it for this chocolate bar or those cookies. Stayed strong and didn't buy any trigger foods, but am having a difficult time accepting that this is my life from now on... Anybody feel the same way/ have perspective?

Would it help to consider the chocolate bar or the cookies in context of your whole diet? If you've had a day of mostly vegetables and lean protein, you could use the carbs and fat the cookies and candy would add.
  • ElsaVonMarmalade
    ElsaVonMarmalade Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    One thing I have learned: Treats taste so much better when they're actually treats.
  • Camomilejane
    Camomilejane Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I agree, I used to enjoy shopping more when I wasn't watching my weight. However, I also realise what a greedy person I used to be. I now make choices, I no longer drink alcohol, and when I want a treat, I also increase my exercise. It keeps me motivated, knowing how hard it is to burn the fat.