Where to begin??

Options
JuniperT
JuniperT Posts: 394 Member
So, in all honesty, I'm pretty new to this kinda stuff. I love being able to track my food and being held accountable for what I put in my mouth but I need some suggestions. When it comes to excercising, I don't know where to begin. I'm a stay at home mom, I have a jogging stroller so on the nice days I go out for walks. I just got a pilates ball and a dvd I need to watch...but can someone recommend some excercises for a beginner? I am getting an elliptical soon so that should help, and I just can't get to the gym so I'm left with being unsure of what I can do for now, where to start. I'm a bigger girl, so I don't want to start out crazy ~lol~ I want to work my way up there. I really appreciate any suggestions.

Replies

• nfanning3
    nfanning3 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    an instructor at my gym says "any exercise is good exercise". so just move about to some music...stretch, crunches, a little punching the air fast then slow, cha cha...these are all things we do in our cardio mix up classes. you can do it:)
  • Just_Bethy
    Just_Bethy Posts: 272
    Options
    Check out the couch to 5k in 2 months ...with a jogging stroller you might be able to try that?!
  • angel79202
    angel79202 Posts: 1,012 Member
    Options
    I started with the elliptical and recumbent bike..start with 15 minutes then build to 30, friend me if u need more support.
    you CAN do it!!!
  • fridayjustleft04
    fridayjustleft04 Posts: 851 Member
    Options
    I started out with EA Sports Active for the Wii. That and whatever exercise DVDs I could find (Biggest Loser is good).
  • karisbrandes
    karisbrandes Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I'm a SAHM too and I like Jillian Michael's DVDs. They don't use much equipment or space and really get results. Also, walking is great - gets you moving and your little one(s) outside!
  • charliebird
    charliebird Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    Check out the couch to 5k in 2 months ...with a jogging stroller you might be able to try that?!

"C25K" Definately a great way to burn calories and something you can do with the kids. (as they get older they come "running" with me as they are on bikes and scooters!!)
  • Yvanna
    Yvanna Posts: 4
    Options
    there are a lot of things you can do with no equipment and just a few minutes at a time.... my trainer often has us do Tabata intervals. pick a few exercises- plank, jumping jacks, jogging on the spot and punching the air, squats anything you feel comfortable with and can do with good form, get someone to teach you first if you are unsure of an exercise or it hurts in the wrong way ;) you can add to it later as you get stronger - we do it for 20 seconds at a time then take 10 seconds rest break do this for 8 rounds which is 4 minutes. Make sure you are well warmed up first! You can do this when you get your eliptical to add some intensity :).

As for DVDs the Walk Away the Pounds ones are cheesy but great for starting out- you are moving but have very low impact while getting your heart rate up. Try borrowing a few workout dvds from your library so you can try them out and don't get bored with the same ones.