If you're not "regular" how bad is it to take a lax?(TMI)

Options
megz4987
megz4987 Posts: 1,008 Member
Ok so on average, I make a 'spicy meatball' about 3 times a week, if I'm lucky. When I notice I haven't gone in a few days, I drink a few cups of "get regular" tea by yogi or take a gentle laxitive. Is that bad to do? I know there was a debate a few days ago about cleanse's and if they really help or not. I'm not looking for the weight loss with lax's, I just don't want to get backed up so to speak.

Replies

• slieber
    slieber Posts: 765 Member
    Options
    I use magnesium/calcium tablets twice a day, every day - for my joints. It has a secondary effect of keeping me regular. That might be a better option than a standard laxative.
  • stanvoodoo
    stanvoodoo Posts: 1,023 Member
    Options
    I would try adding fiber to keep you regular. Much easier on your system. Benefiber is great justg add to water or get the sugar free chewables.

Good luck!
  • LesliePierceRN
    LesliePierceRN Posts: 860 Member
    Options
    The tea isn't bad..but there are better ways to go about it. The tea is made from Senna leaf.. which causes cramping and works by stimulation. That's fine every once in a while, but you can become dependent on that if overused. Magnesium works very well, especially good for women with migraine problems and very active exercisers. You can also try upping the fiber and water in your diet. I give my daughter, who has chronic bowel problems, miralax every day, which is fine as well. It works like a synthetic fiber, so no dependency. Also, a tbsp of blackstrap molassess is good for the gut and loaded with electrolytes as well.
  • oxavecamourxo
    oxavecamourxo Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    I was exactly the same way. It was terrible. It was like that for 10 years, but once I stopped eating meat, I don't have that problem anymore. I make my way to the bathroom every day. :)
  • registers
    registers Posts: 782 Member
    Options
    Ok so on average, I make a 'spicy meatball' about 3 times a week, if I'm lucky. When I notice I haven't gone in a few days, I drink a few cups of "get regular" tea by yogi or take a gentle laxitive. Is that bad to do? I know there was a debate a few days ago about cleanse's and if they really help or not. I'm not looking for the weight loss with lax's, I just don't want to get backed up so to speak.

haha i had to read this subject a few times. I thought, "if you're not a regular here, how bad is it to go to lax airport?? WHAT" Depends on how the tea affects you, if it gives you diarrhea that will dehydrate the body. If you're having difficult look at your diet. Make the changes people suggested.
  • megz4987
    Options
    Thanks for all the great suggestions!!
  • missmomma77
    missmomma77 Posts: 42
    Options
    I added 2 tsp of milled flaxseed to my breakfast. I haven't had a problem since.
  • DustinReiner
    DustinReiner Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    I'm not big on laxatives, eat some fiber! A "real" bran muffin. A apple, raw brocolli.

I'm always leary when someone mentiones laxatives and diets, reminds me of an ex-girlfriend from years ago.
  • dia77
    dia77 Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    try phisillium , really works. Make sure you drink 2 cups * 8 oz with a full table spoon.
  • megz4987
    Options
    Sorry for the flashback!!
    I'm not big on laxatives, eat some fiber! A "real" bran muffin. A apple, raw brocolli.

I'm always leary when someone mentiones laxatives and diets, reminds me of an ex-girlfriend from years ago.
  • Christie23
    Christie23 Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    I have the exact same issue and always have. My daughter does, as well. Some helpful suggestions... drinking diluted apple cider vinegar helps me a lot on a day to day basis... (it also has a lot of other attributes that are great for you too). Also, making a habit of drinking green tea whenever possible has helped a lot too... and it has the added benefit of helping in burning fat.

Maybe this will help... I love this site and tend to use it a lot since I avoid medicine whenever possible... http://earthclinic.com/CURES/constipation.html
  • milaxx
    milaxx Posts: 1,122 Member
    Options
    You poo 3x's a week? I think I poo that much in one day. I would lean toward more natural remedies. I'm the odd duck that actually likes apple cider vinegar. In addition to adding a capful to my water bottle (16oz) I also occasionally use it when making my salad dressings. I also eat loads of fruit and veg.Increase you fiber intake., I sometimes add a bit of flaxseed powder to my juices or protein shakes. No processed food or sodas, limited gluten and dairy. This means my body can quickly process pretty much everything take in and makes me pretty regular.
  • alianf
    alianf Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I had this problem while pregnant and a bowl of All Bran every morning did the trick for me.