Strength Training

Options
Hi Everyone!
I'm pleased to announce that I've finally reached my goal weight and looking great =)

I decided starting next week, I'm absolutely gonna start exercising everyday. I don't need cardio, I just want to build muscle and look fit. My body fat percentage currently is 22% and I'm 110 pounds at 5"5'. I've done T25 and insanity in the past. I loved T25 but not insanity. It used to make me want to vomit. I'm looking for a DVD workout, that I can immediately buy and start on monday. I have weights at home and I can buy more. I'm looking to fix my arms, abs, legs, chest and butt. I've heard good things about Kayla Itsines but it's an ebook. I'm not sure if it's worth the trouble. I've also heard about P90X but it has a lot of cardio. I have an strength training app on my iPhone that I can plan and use daily but I would love to have a DVD of some sort. Recomendations are welcome. I don't have access to gym but I might seriously consider paying the 60$ if I'm gonna get quick results. Thanks so much!!!!

Replies

• IsaackGMOON
    IsaackGMOON Posts: 3,358 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Is there no chance getting a gym membership?
  • cbrook29
    cbrook29 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Don't completely eliminate cardio. It is a vital tool. I lift every day but often finish with HIIT (high intensity interval training) by doing battling ropes or prowler (aka weight sled). You can pay $20 for planet fitness and they have all you need (well 95% of everything you will need). Small amounts of Cardio mixed with weights are the best in my humble opinion. I would just google " home weight training " or "using free weights at home"
  • cbrook29
    cbrook29 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Technically you can get away without cardio - just depends on your body - I find I need just a smidge of cardio to really stop down into the single digits.
  • Jerseygrrl
    Jerseygrrl Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    Google body weight strength training. There are lots of sites dedicated to using your bodyweight only to gain strength.
  • karenkasbi
    karenkasbi Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    Hi Isaack and cbrook. The gym close to me is YMCA, I live in Montreal and it's 60$ to register and 60$ per month. It's expensive, dirty and crowded. I used to go there. It's always full with teenagers weight lifting. I might consider driving somewhere but a little hesitant. The thing is, I don't have appetite. I'm not sure if I can eat more that I'm currently eating. I definitely want to get fit and look good in a swimming suit. I'm very determined but I would love to have a DVD. I don't have patience to read a book about body building. I can't memorize the exercises. If I do cardio with what I'm currently eating, I'm gonna lose so much weight. Maybe I can drink a protein shake in the morning.
  • karenkasbi
    Options
    I'm looking for a DVD if there is
  • XavierNusum
    XavierNusum Posts: 720 Member
    Options
    Have you looked into the Body Beast program? Also any of the P90X series can help you build strength and muscle depending on how you adapt them to your needs.

P.S...there are no quick results when it comes to strength and muscle growth, just like weight loss.
  • karenkasbi
    Options
    ooh body beast looks just like what I need.
  • kiela64
    kiela64 Posts: 1,447 Member
    Options
    @karenkasbi are you anywhere near one of Montreal's universities? I was there for about a month and got a limited pass for UQAM's gym facilities. I don't know much about their weight lifting section because I only used the pool, but at least while the summer is still on there might be something short you could get at a university while there aren't too many people there.
  • karenkasbi
    Options
    @kae612 I'm not near downtown. Thanks for the suggestion. I just got body beast. I'm starting monday. @XavierNusum thanks so much. It looks like just what I need.
  • happygalah
    happygalah Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    Hasfit on youtube
  • jimmmer
    jimmmer Posts: 3,515 Member
    Options
    karenkasbi wrote: »
    Hi Isaack and cbrook. The gym close to me is YMCA, I live in Montreal and it's 60$ to register and 60$ per month. It's expensive, dirty and crowded. I used to go there. It's always full with teenagers weight lifting. I might consider driving somewhere but a little hesitant. The thing is, I don't have appetite. I'm not sure if I can eat more that I'm currently eating. I definitely want to get fit and look good in a swimming suit. I'm very determined but I would love to have a DVD. I don't have patience to read a book about body building. I can't memorize the exercises. If I do cardio with what I'm currently eating, I'm gonna lose so much weight. Maybe I can drink a protein shake in the morning.

I see a list of stuff about what you're not willing to do to reach your goals.
  • karenkasbi
    edited July 2015
    Options
    lol :-) @jimmmer I started body beast today and I love it. It seems just like what I need. I will post before after pictures when I finish the program. I also bought a protein shake and I drank a cup after workout today. I'm also gonna start eating healthier breakfasts especially eggs and bananas in the mornings with coconut milk.

I just have a question. With what I'm currently eating (350 calorie breakfast max) a small plate of healthy lunch whatever I cook that day (I'm lebanese, I make healthy home made food (up to 600 calories) and smoothie for a dinner (raw veggies with seeds and nuts in nutribullet) what are the results I'm gonna get in three months when I finish body beast? Can someone tell me? I don't mind losing a few more pounds but I want to get a little muscular.
  • emodavis
    emodavis Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I'm going to add you because I want to see what kind of wonderful stuff you're cooking.
  • karenkasbi
    Options
    sorry but I don't log my food. I can send you a lot of recipes though. Tell me what you like
  • rontafoya
    rontafoya Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    There are lots of programs out there for body weight training. Have you considered kettlebell training? I used to do it a lot more than I do now (mostly into heavy free weights at the gym now). The reason I highly recommend kettlebell training is because if you do it right it's great for your midsection, butt, hips, balance, strength, stability, etc. It's a great complement to other training too.
  • Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,841 Member
    Options
    Hi Everyone!
    I've done T25 and insanity in the past. I loved T25 but not insanity. It used to make me want to vomit. I'm looking for a DVD workout, that I can immediately buy and start on monday. I have weights at home and I can buy more. I'm looking to fix my arms, abs, legs, chest and butt. I've heard good things about Kayla Itsines but it's an ebook. I'm not sure if it's worth the trouble. I've also heard about P90X but it has a lot of cardio.

All the T25, Insanity, P90X and Crossfit are is organized calisthenics, which is a good combination of cardio and strength/conditioning using mostly body weight and resistance. You can build with any of them, but can find many free resources online for home workouts (Like Fitness Blender and the like). Add in some free weights and you will be good to go.

• jimmmer
    jimmmer Posts: 3,515 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    lol :-) @jimmmer I started body beast today and I love it. It seems just like what I need. I will post before after pictures when I finish the program. I also bought a protein shake and I drank a cup after workout today. I'm also gonna start eating healthier breakfasts especially eggs and bananas in the mornings with coconut milk.

I just have a question. With what I'm currently eating (350 calorie breakfast max) a small plate of healthy lunch whatever I cook that day (I'm lebanese, I make healthy home made food (up to 600 calories) and smoothie for a dinner (raw veggies with seeds and nuts in nutribullet) what are the results I'm gonna get in three months when I finish body beast? Can someone tell me? I don't mind losing a few more pounds but I want to get a little muscular.

If by getting muscular you mean retaining your existing muscle mass and losing fat (known as "cutting"), then a moderate calorie deficit and high protein (1gm/lb of bodyweight) are what you need.

If by getting muscular you mean adding to your exist muscle mass (known as "bulking"), you need to eat your maintenance calories + 250 every day. You'll add (on average) 1/2lb a week which will be a combination of connective tissue, bone density, muscle and fat. You'd then run a cutting phase as described in my first paragraph to lose the (small amount) of accumulated fat and retain your newly added muscle.

As to your last question: 3 months is nothing. A blink of an eye. Any significant results with this stuff takes 6months to a year. You may find you have to run several bulk/cut cycles to get the results you desire. Some of us have been tinkering around with our training and our bodies for years. That's the timescales you need to be thinking on. Look to keep increasing the weights and perhaps run the routine a few times (or move on to another routine).

If you don't like the idea of "bulking/cutting" as outlined above then you can alternatively find your maintenance calories, eat them every day and lift. This is called "recomp" It'll take a longer time to get results than bulking/cutting, but you won't go through stages where you are uncomfortable with fat gain and body shape issues which can be common with bulking.

Whatever you do, you need to find your maintenance calories. Then you can subtract 250 for a slow cut, add 250 for a slow bulk, or eat at them to recomp. That will mean counting calories.

• AsISmile
    AsISmile Posts: 1,004 Member
    Options
    jimmmer wrote: »

If by getting muscular you mean retaining your existing muscle mass and losing fat (known as "cutting"), then a moderate calorie deficit and high protein (1gm/lb of bodyweight) are what you need.

If by getting muscular you mean adding to your exist muscle mass (known as "bulking"), you need to eat your maintenance calories + 250 every day. You'll add (on average) 1/2lb a week which will be a combination of connective tissue, bone density, muscle and fat. You'd then run a cutting phase as described in my first paragraph to lose the (small amount) of accumulated fat and retain your newly added muscle.

As to your last question: 3 months is nothing. A blink of an eye. Any significant results with this stuff takes 6months to a year. You may find you have to run several bulk/cut cycles to get the results you desire. Some of us have been tinkering around with our training and our bodies for years. That's the timescales you need to be thinking on. Look to keep increasing the weights and perhaps run the routine a few times (or move on to another routine).

If you don't like the idea of "bulking/cutting" as outlined above then you can alternatively find your maintenance calories, eat them every day and lift. This is called "recomp" It'll take a longer time to get results than bulking/cutting, but you won't go through stages where you are uncomfortable with fat gain and body shape issues which can be common with bulking.

Whatever you do, you need to find your maintenance calories. Then you can subtract 250 for a slow cut, add 250 for a slow bulk, or eat at them to recomp. That will mean counting calories.

This this this.
  • lseed87
    lseed87 Posts: 1,110 Member
    Options
    Befitin90days is on youtube. Kind of like Julian Michaels and Insanity....