HELP I CANT EVEN DO A GIRL PUSH UP

Options
How can I improve this?

Replies

• TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Google 100 push ups.

Another way......start with wall push ups, then desk push ups....eventually bring it down to the floor.
  • erimethia_fekre
    erimethia_fekre Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    Start by doing push-ups off of a wall. Build some strength that way until you can complete a few on the floor.. Move on to sets, then try them without your knees on the floor.

The only thing that improves it is willpower and following through
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    ^^^ This......be consistent & be patient. (My kryptonite is chinups)
  • Lasmartchika
    Lasmartchika Posts: 3,440 Member
    Options
    I started doing the ones in this video to get used to the movement... then I've progressed to the "girl" pushups. :smile:
  • msf74
    msf74 Posts: 3,498 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    How can I improve this?

Inverted rows.

Start slow, work your way up to the equivalent of your body weight and you will be able to do full push ups...
  • AddieOverhaul
    AddieOverhaul Posts: 734 Member
    Options
    Right now I'm doing them using my bathroom counter. Once I can do ten pretty easily I will try my coffee table, then on my knees on the floor, then real ones!
  • Laurenjenai
    Laurenjenai Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    Lol I can relate, I use to have a hard time doing modified push ups, then I noticed during and after the INSANITY program I was able to not only do modified push ups but regular ones too and more advanced type push ups further on. Not saying to do Insanity but slowly but surely if you continue to work on your upper body strength it'll get better. A lot of the moves they had I only did what I could and how i could and it still worked me, and then I got there. Wall push ups are a great start.
  • adconline
    adconline Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    How can I improve this?
    Start from the wall as you fer stronger inch your feet back...
    you also lower yourself in the push up position slowly .... stay consistent and you WILL GET STRONGER
  • ThatMouse
    ThatMouse Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    http://www.startbodyweight.com/p/push-up-progression.html

But consistency is key, for sure. I'm a total push up nerd and have to teach a lot of kids and ladies how to do a proper push up - take your time with it, learn it right. Start on the wall and make sure you're keeping everything tight.

Enjoy!
  • bioklutz
    bioklutz Posts: 1,365 Member
    Options
    I HATE pushups. They suck. They hurt. They take a lot of effort and some strange noises. Possibly a little crying or curling up into a fetal position afterwards...

I started pushups off the back of my couch. Then the arm of my couch. Then a bench. I am currently doing them at the height of about 8 inches. My next step is pushups without an incline!
  • AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    Options
    msf74 wrote: »
    How can I improve this?

Inverted rows.

Start slow, work your way up to the equivalent of your body weight and you will be able to do full push ups...

Explain to me how a pull movement will increase her strength for a push movement.
  • Michellereducf
    Michellereducf Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    Can't do them either! I love all the suggestions starting on the wall an working your way down.
  • FitnessTrainer69
    FitnessTrainer69 Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    If you don't have a gym or weights then the " wall down to floor" would be a great place to start for anyone. Also, while trying on the floor, push for as long you can until you fall. Repeat this a few times. You could also build up the negative part of a pushup by going down as slow as possible for maybe 6-8 sets.
  • luluinca
    luluinca Posts: 2,899 Member
    Options
    They're not called "Girl Pushups", they're called modified push ups. All the suggestions above will work, it's a gradual process building the strength you need for pushups. You might also try doing basic planks. Practice every day and you'll get there! Good luck!
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    Start with wall push ups (as much or less of an incline as needed). Work on getting to a set number of reps a set (maybe 10 or 20? for 3 sets?). Decrease the incline to make it harder.

Then when you feel comfortable (or can't level off anymore on the wall push ups), switch to kneeling push ups. Again, work for a set number of sets and reps.

Then move on to full push ups.

If you end up feeling adventurous in the future, there are a variety of other push up variations that are pretty challenging.

Hope this helps!
  • shrinkingletters
    shrinkingletters Posts: 1,008 Member
    Options
    luluinca wrote: »
    They're not called "Girl Pushups", they're called modified push ups. All the suggestions above will work, it's a gradual process building the strength you need for pushups. You might also try doing basic planks. Practice every day and you'll get there! Good luck!

Thank you.
  • Katzedernacht
    Katzedernacht Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    Please don't call them girl push ups.
    Now, it took me like 3 months,lol I did as many modified ones ( on my knees ) as I could,this was like..3? -_-
    now i can do proper ones, chest to ground and all.
    consistency
  • Ioras88
    Ioras88 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I can't do push-ups either. At least not 'normal' ones. Good thread though, I'm also going to look into the solutions posted here. :)
  • oh_happy_day
    oh_happy_day Posts: 1,138 Member
    Options
    luluinca wrote: »

Thank you! Modified not girl push ups. Plenty of us girls can do standard push ups and more advanced versions. :smile: And you'll get there as well - practice, practice, practice!