weighing yourself?

Options
kiela64
kiela64 Posts: 1,447 Member
edited July 2015 in Health and Weight Loss
I've seen a number of people talk about weighing themselves every day or every other day. I don't have a scale, and I'm not going to buy one because other people in my family have difficulties with them.

I weighed myself about a month and a half ago at the gym I was at while I was away for a course, and I just got weighed at the doctors' office.

I know using different scales would give you different results, and so I'm skeptical of the difference between my two measurements.

I was wondering if anyone has recommendations for getting weighed regularly and reliably without owning a scale? I doubt I can just go hang out at the doctors' and ask to hop on the scale every few weeks, haha.

Replies

• rubyandmani
    rubyandmani Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I have a scale at home but I dont trust it, one its nt digital, second I dont have a hard surface. all carpeted or uneven. although I try to guess andit turns out right as I do double check either at drs or in market
  • AJ_G
    AJ_G Posts: 4,158 Member
    Options
    Buy a scale and keep it hidden at home while you're not using it?
  • kiela64
    Options
    AJ_G wrote: »

hiding things isn't really possible, I live with my parents. Thanks though!
  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,652 Member
    Options
    Use one of those scales outside the GNC at the mall or something like that.
  • Laurenjenai
    Laurenjenai Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    Lol,
    kae612 wrote: »
    AJ_G wrote: »

hiding things isn't really possible, I live with my parents. Thanks though!

See if your parents will hide it for you till your ready.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    There is a drug store in our town that has an old scale that sits by the counter...not sure if the place you live has something like that.

Or a gym, work....friends house?

Just make sure if you are weighing you do it at the same time everyday wearing about the same amount of clothing etc esp since you can't do it first thing in the morning naked.....
  • yellowantphil
    yellowantphil Posts: 787 Member
    Options
    SezxyStef wrote: »
    Or a gym, work....friends house?

Maybe buy a scale and keep it at a friend's house?
  • cabwj
    cabwj Posts: 843 Member
    Options
    I see that you're a student. Does the gym on your campus have a scale? Or the student health center?
  • sweetteadrinker2
    sweetteadrinker2 Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    You actually can go to your docs office and ask to hop on the scale every couple of weeks. I did that for awhile before I got a digital scale. The nurses don't care, its quick easy and costs nothing.
  • EmmaFitzwilliam
    EmmaFitzwilliam Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    Amazon has a very small "travel" scale. It measures - at a guess - 8 inches by 12 inches.
  • kiela64
    Options

I have never seen a scale at the mall...

cabwj wrote: »
    I see that you're a student. Does the gym on your campus have a scale? Or the student health center?

They probably do! I don't have access to the gym because I'm not registered for the summer semester, but once September hits I will. That's a good idea :smile: thanks!
    You actually can go to your docs office and ask to hop on the scale every couple of weeks. I did that for awhile before I got a digital scale. The nurses don't care, its quick easy and costs nothing.

Oh wow! My doctor's office is really busy, though I don't think they would let me. But I may ask if I can't find anything else reliable.
  • Laurenjenai
    Laurenjenai Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    kae612 wrote: »

I have never seen a scale at the mall...

Sometimes they are by the restrooms but I think you have to deposit some change.
  • jaqcan
    jaqcan Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    I don't think any doctor would care if you stopped by once a month to weigh in. Every day would be too much, but once a month, I think you'd be fine.
    You'll have to use the same scale to get an accurate reading. Using the scale at my mother's house, I'm 20lbs lighter. :neutral:
  • vixtris
    vixtris Posts: 688 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    well if you don't want to buy one, then weigh yourself when you go to the gym, near the same time of day or same time in your routine. Although, you will get a better measurement at home, naked, in the morning, after using the restroom. you could keep it under your bed or tucked into your underwear drawer.
  • kiela64
    Options
    jaqcan wrote: »
    I don't think any doctor would care if you stopped by once a month to weigh in. Every day would be too much, but once a month, I think you'd be fine.
    You'll have to use the same scale to get an accurate reading. Using the scale at my mother's house, I'm 20lbs lighter. :neutral:

That is a dramatic difference, woah! Noted!
  • hekla90
    hekla90 Posts: 595 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    My Walmart has a blood pressure machine that also takes weights, calculates bmi etc. They are apparently serviced monthly or so and the one where I live is accurate. All the locations of my gym have fantastic and accurate digital scales that are quite expensive models. Don't assume the doctors scald is accurate especially the older slide models. As a nurse those can be pretty inaccurate based on a lot of factors like whose weighing of its been calibrated or zeroed...
  • barryplumber
    barryplumber Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    Measuring tape is the best tool anyway it don't lie and all tapes are the same, so you can use different ones
  • kiela64
    Options
    Measuring tape is the best tool anyway it don't lie and all tapes are the same, so you can use different ones

That sounds like a good idea. What measurements would you suggest? I filled out the mfp ones: neck, waist, and hips. Just tracking those ones?