How you view yourself?

Options
Does anyone else still see themselves as fat even though you have lost weight? I tried to explain to my daughter that no matter how much weight I've lost I still feel fat and look fat. I am down to 166 and I still feel 200. I will be talking to my therapist about it next week.

Replies

• boogiewookie
    boogiewookie Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    ive only lost 22 lbs with 47 to go so I am still fat but I've lost several inches and feel like I'm the exact same size as I was when I was over 200lbs. the only difference is I have fun poking my newly inflated muscles lol
  • heathergettinfitblandford741
    Options
    I think self esteeme plays a big part... i have very low self esteeme and my weight gain hasnt helped at all. I go through phases where i feel great about myself then i go through phases where i HATE myself. I looked back on family vacation photos from a couple years ago and i looked so thin and remember thinking back then that i was so fat! i think its all a mental thing. A therapist is probably a good healthy option for you. I hope everything goes well.
  • Cortneyrenee04
    Cortneyrenee04 Posts: 1,117 Member
    Options
    Yes... I forget I'm not (anywhere near) 200 pounds any more.
  • Vickilick
    Vickilick Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    I used to weigh less then 9 stone and still thought I was big.
  • CandyMonster160
    CandyMonster160 Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    On a side note, I hope your daughter is old enough to understand that isn't a normal way of feeling. Seek professional help for those issues, and don't put that on your daughter. IMHO. I'm only saying that because I grew up with a mother who was constantly telling me how fat she was and felt, it played a major part in my self esteem issues growing up and into my 20's.

• AddieOverhaul
    AddieOverhaul Posts: 734 Member
    Options
    I find I'm actually more aware of my "problem areas" now that I'm down over 30lbs. I was kind of blissfully unaware before it kind of hit me that I got fat and decided to do something about it.
  • IILikeToMoveItMoveIt
    IILikeToMoveItMoveIt Posts: 1,172 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Sometimes I feel bigger than I am and others I feel smaller than I am. But when I clothes shop I constantly, without fail, pick sz 10. Everytime. When I glimpse myself in passing somewhere I am so dissappointed that I don't match how I feel... but I'm working on it so...I'll get back there!
    It takes time for your mind to catch up. Therapy should help, it's a great tool.
  • cristical
    cristical Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    I have lost 75 pounds and I HONESTLY see the EXACT same body -.- It's horrible! The only difference i see is a bit in my face and not even that much. I hope I wake up to it soon!
  • jdorman1973
    jdorman1973 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    On a side note, I hope your daughter is old enough to understand that isn't a normal way of feeling. Seek professional help for those issues, and don't put that on your daughter. IMHO. I'm only saying that because I grew up with a mother who was constantly telling me how fat she was and felt, it played a major part in my self esteem issues growing up and into my 20's.

Of course I explain that to her. I already said I was going to talk to my therapist about it next week. And I don't put anything on my daughter. What happened if you must know is I bent down to get something out of reach and said dang it I am still too fat to reach way back in a cupboard. Didn't know she heard me. She said you are not fat. I said I know but sometimes people who used to be fat have a hard time seeing themselves thinner when they lose the weight. I know I am thinner and healthier and I am working on my self image. I need to be more positive to break old habits. To which she said good job mom.
    I believe my question was does anyone else feel like this not what should I say to my daughter.
  • xX_PhoenixRising_Xx
    xX_PhoenixRising_Xx Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    It took ages for my brain to catch up, and even now after maintaining for a year I often have to take a photo to see what I really look like in an outfit. From looking at my progress photos I'm pretty sure that my head still thinks I look 15kg heavier than I am. I'll look at a photo, think I'm that size and then look at a current photo and realise that I'm much smaller. I've finally managed to choose the right size clothing off the rack now though, rather than automatically going for the largest size, so that's something.
  • jdorman1973
    jdorman1973 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    It took ages for my brain to catch up, and even now after maintaining for a year I often have to take a photo to see what I really look like in an outfit. From looking at my progress photos I'm pretty sure that my head still thinks I look 15kg heavier than I am. I'll look at a photo, think I'm that size and then look at a current photo and realise that I'm much smaller. I've finally managed to choose the right size clothing off the rack now though, rather than automatically going for the largest size, so that's something.

good job! you look great going by your profile pic. I still go for an XL and then tell myself your not that size girl go smaller.
  • Laurenjenai
    Laurenjenai Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    Feeling that way seems to be the norm. I know I did no matter how many compliments I recieved, I just couldn't believe it. With time and a new well fitting wardrobe my confidence was restored.