Calling all PARENTS.

Options
How do you go about implementing healthy habits to your child? Teaching them healthier ways and moderation without making it a huge deal? I know *i* buy and cook the food. We have chips and cookies in our house but it is not free time to eat whenever you want and as many as you want. Lately my seven year old is asking for those snacks more and more often and getting angry when I say "no. You already had them today." We talk about health and not weight. She understands exercise being important and all as she is a gymnast and cheerleader. More and more she is figuring out that the "junky snacky" foods are more enjoyable(to her) and I don't want it to be an argument. I try implement healthy habits but I fear I'm coming off as a nag. What is your parenting style with this? I have struggled with my weight my entire life and I just want her to be happy and healthy without pushing it.

Replies

• PixelPuff
    PixelPuff Posts: 901 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Maybe now would be a good time to also show her how to cook? This way you two can spend time together cooking -healthy- snacks. Why have this horrible junkie cookie, when you can have this delicious frozen treat instead, that is much healthier? [Frozen banana = the bomb, for example, though not cooking]
    /edit
    By the way, not a parent. But I am an Aunt to twins. And I as a kid loved junk food, and was NOT restricted from it [fed myself for most meals]... So I know a bit better how I would've avoided it.
  • wolfsbayne
    wolfsbayne Posts: 3,116 Member
    Options
    I have this issue with my 8 year old son. He loves candy, ice cream, soda, chips, etc. and I don't refuse him these things but tell him he has to eat good stuff to build his muscles to get strong like his daddy was. Once he eats the good stuff, then he can have the "treats." It's not uncommon for him to ask for chips for breakfast. He'll also ask for something to drink and I'll say "ok, water?" He'll say "nah.." I'll then tell him he's not really thirsty if he doesn't want the water. He'll drink sugary stuff all day if I let him, but I don't and it's not been a battle. He still asks for it even though he knows the answer, but he doesn't argue about it.
  • DanniB423
    DanniB423 Posts: 776 Member
    Options
    PixelPuff wrote: »
    Maybe now would be a good time to also show her how to cook? This way you two can spend time together cooking -healthy- snacks. Why have this horrible junkie cookie, when you can have this delicious frozen treat instead, that is much healthier? [Frozen banana = the bomb, for example, though not cooking]
    /edit
    By the way, not a parent. But I am an Aunt to twins. And I as a kid loved junk food, and was NOT restricted from it [fed myself for most meals]... So I know a bit better how I would've avoided it.

Thank you! We do cook together and try out fun recipes. I just printed a few yesterday actually. I want to teach it without making it some big deal. I watched my mom diet my whole life and she wasn't even big. I gained weight and I always felt pressure with food. Like "oh of course Danni wants more chips!" was the tone in my house. I just want the very best for her and to know I always support her.
  • Laurenjenai
    Laurenjenai Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    My kids love snacks too but sometimes I just have to say no. I feed them breakfast yet they still want a snack right after, lunch, then they want another snack, dinner than another snack. They want snacks even when not hungry lol Don't get me wrong I let them have a fruit roll up and like 2 cookies at most in one day but other than that I give them a lot of fruit.
  • DanniB423
    Options
    wolfsbayne wrote: »
    I have this issue with my 8 year old son. He loves candy, ice cream, soda, chips, etc. and I don't refuse him these things but tell him he has to eat good stuff to build his muscles to get strong like his daddy was. Once he eats the good stuff, then he can have the "treats." It's not uncommon for him to ask for chips for breakfast. He'll also ask for something to drink and I'll say "ok, water?" He'll say "nah.." I'll then tell him he's not really thirsty if he doesn't want the water. He'll drink sugary stuff all day if I let him, but I don't and it's not been a battle. He still asks for it even though he knows the answer, but he doesn't argue about it.

I'm glad I am not the only one! If my daughter wants a sweet treat she knows she must finish her fruits and veggies at dinner first. So we do the same. I do not have the problem with water. Thank goodness she naturally picks water! My daughter asked for chips for breakfast this morning. Lol
  • DanniB423
    Options
    My kids love snacks too but sometimes I just have to say no. I feed them breakfast yet they still want a snack right after, lunch, then they want another snack, dinner than another snack. They want snacks even when not hungry lol Don't get me wrong I let them have a fruit roll up and like 2 cookies at most in one day but other than that I give them a lot of fruit.

I am the same! She is a eating machine lately!
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    my wife and I set pretty good examples as we both eat pretty healthfully and move a lot...we feed our kids pretty healthfully as well, but I don't get overly concerned with them snacking or having junk here and there...not all of the time of course, but they eat their fair share of "junky" type snacks...but I figure they're growing boys and they play like growing boys and they need fuel. Like I don't worry too much about giving them some Mott's fruit snacks...they're going to burn that sugar off in about 2 minutes after they eat it.

• ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    I'll say this my mom was pretty strict with food. sugar was off limit we couldn't have any white flour. When I started making my own money via babysitting I started to buy those forbidden, bad foods. I don't say it's all the reason I'm obese (as there are many factors), but I do think it really made things difficult. Unlike other children who will eat a few pieces of easter or Halloween candy and forget about it in their room...I'd eat the whole bag in a few days. I would also hide food in my room.

I'm going to be at a difficult position with my son as I can't have any thing in my house without eating it all. However, I want him to learn that there is no such thing as bad food. Some food is better, and I really think kids in general who had ad lib access to a variety of food including "junk food" may have a better time w/ intuitive eating.

Parenting is not easy that's for sure.
  • sarawhite2009
    sarawhite2009 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Recently I stopped buying all those different kinds of snack foods and cereal. For breakfast I make pancakes, french toast,oatmeal or eggs and toast. Instead of buying snack foods. I buy fruits, vegetables and yogurt and cottage cheese. I haven't had an issue since it stopped being in the house.
  • DanniB423
    Options
    Recently I stopped buying all those different kinds of snack foods and cereal. For breakfast I make pancakes, french toast,oatmeal or eggs and toast. Instead of buying snack foods. I buy fruits, vegetables and yogurt and cottage cheese. I haven't had an issue since it stopped being in the house.

I buy yogurt fruits veggies and cheese sticks too. I would love to cut the chips and stuff out of the house but my biggest child (my husband) lol
    Wants them too.
  • tech_kitten
    tech_kitten Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    Don't have the stuff in the house, or if you do, put it in a place where they can't see, that way they don't know it's there. I have found this also helps keep the rest of the house eating better because it's not within sight, and you can't eat/drink the stuff around them or they know it's there. Best thing would be to just not have it in the house, but that's not realistic.
  • ashleyweatherholtzmathis
    Options
    I don't keep any "snack" foods in my house, my 5 year old has access to fruit, granola, greek yogurt, chocolate almond milk, vanilla almond milk, cashew milk, various nuts, on the occasion I can get her to eat a salad, the only way she eats broccoli and cauliflower are if I bake them with italian bread crumbs and some shredded cheese and queso on them. I just try to get her to eat as healthy as possible, it's always an uphill battle as we ate pretty junky up until my dieting started. I still let her get an occasional "treat" of her picking once a week and it is something small that she will have ate within the day, as well as special occasions like birthdays and holidays, because I can't control the food she gets to eat at my inlaws. I just find it easier to keep the junk out of the house.
  • dwalt15110
    dwalt15110 Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    We limit the snack things that are in the house. However, at the ages you are talking about, please note that your children are reaching those growth spurt times where they eat you out of house and home. I found that if you offer them a snack instead of waiting for them to ask for one, then you have more control over what that snack is. Fixing a bowl with berries and calling them to come get it usually results in their eyes lighting up and then being on their way. Letting them make their own popcorn in a paper bag also works.
  • FitnessTrainer69
    FitnessTrainer69 Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    The problem in my house is the wife. lol. I can control what foods my children consume but not the wife. She makes it hard to teach my kids how to stay healthy and eat healthy. I keep almost all junk out of my home but she constantly brings home oreos, ice cream, ect ect and doesn't control who or how much they eat of it. On the flip side, when my house has only healthy options, the kids love fruit, nuts and veggies. What I try and do with my family to not restrict them as much is have healthy home cooked meals and on 1 day on the weekend take them out for pizza or where ever they decide for family time. I do strictly control soda in my home. absolute no no
  • cyronius
    cyronius Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    Honestly, the only real approach I take to it is to try and lead by example. I make sure he sees me saying no to second servings and larger helpings, as well as taking a serious approach to my health.

I don't push that on him though, lest he just push back the moment he can (when he's older, over at friends places etc). The idea is to give him a healthy perspective, and that takes time and he has to *want* to do it.

• BWBTrish
    BWBTrish Posts: 2,817 Member
    Options
    I had a "candy box"
    We ate 3 balanced meals a day and 2 times fruit. He could get more if he wanted to.

but the candy box came out 3 times a day. He could choose one candy/cookie whatever he put in there.
    When we went shopping he could choose whatever he wanted, cookies, candy, crisps etc. And it went in the box. 21 pieces ( 3 for each day of the week)
    Gone was gone!

This worked perfect when he was younger.
    When he became older he wasn't that much of a snacker anymore...more bigger meals. A healthy not picky eater.
  • CharlotteRose82
    CharlotteRose82 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I've had problems with eating disorders on and off for years, as a single parent to a 10 year old girl I am always trying to keep myself in check around food and her to not make food an issue.

One thing I do find difficult is weighing my food, it is something I really try to avoid doing around my daughter, it just means meal planning/prep has to be done when she's busy.

Being a child we had a very strict upbringing, finish everything on your plate otherwise you'll be sat at a table with a cold meal in front of you for hours until it was finished and they'd be no dessert etc. This is NOT something I will ever enforce on my daughter, I actively encourage her to try things and have just that "little bit more" of sweetcorn/veg etc but I never force food on her. She still eats sweets etc but I just try to encourage other foods first.

For me I always encourage a good breakfast every morning, usually weetabix and fresh orange. I always think if she's had a good breakfast we've started the day off well. She is a grazer so even when she does have sweets, crisps etc she can make them last. I used to hate the fact she would be grazing all day but I've accepted the fact she prefers small and often. On an average day she has breakfast, snack, lunch, snack, snack, tea, snack, then supper. Nothing is banned but I do encourage healthy foods first. She's not over weight and she's very active so as long as it works for her I'm happy.
  • bubaluboo
    bubaluboo Posts: 2,098 Member
    Options
    My daughter loves cake and my husband bakes and gets her cake when ever she likes. I've had the 'how many calories are in that slice of cake' discussion with him enough times but since daughter is very active and not overweight, he doesn't think it should be limited. Problem is when she leaves half of her healthy meal so she can eat cake. I don't force her to finish but do try to make sure that the veggies and at least some protein has been eaten. There's so much conflicting advice out there.... which ever way you're doomed it seems! Don't restrict 'treats' or they can be associated with reward or pleasure and set up emotional eating. Do restrict treats as they will make your child obese and a junk food addict. Perhaps what ever approach is taken once they are old enough to understand, education about the value of food types for health and development is the best way forward.