Total Gym? Weider Ultimate Body Works?

Options
Chuck Norris was on my tv this morning when I turned it on, pushing his Total Gym. Well, the commercial makes it look like a great workout. I went and looked on Amazon to see how much they were and, wow! It sounded like a good idea, though, so I browsed through other brands and options and came to this one:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00B48ISLU/ref=ox_sc_act_title_2?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

I am wondering if there is anyone who's used one of these or even the Total Gym itself and what their thoughts, experiences, and recommendations are.

Replies

• serindipte
    serindipte Posts: 1,557 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • jlclabo
    jlclabo Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    honest opinion... i have used similar equipment and i suggest save the money you would spend on one of them and put it twords a true gym membership. if you are wanting something just for the home then a small set of dumbbells and an oly bar and weights will do way more for you than any of those pieces will.
  • serindipte
    Options
    Thank you. Any other opinions? Anyone have one of these?
  • dshalbert
    dshalbert Posts: 677 Member
    Options
    The Total Gym takes up a lot of space, so take that into account They had one where I had my physical therapy and I had to use it for one of my exercises. You should google Total Gym reviews. There are a lot of reviews on Amazon, that should give you a good idea. I think for the most part people like it.
  • serindipte
    Options
    The reviews on Amazon were encouraging. I am just wanting to make sure I'm getting the most for my money and looking for as much input as I can get.
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    The TG is the classic case of a product being a good fit for one type of purpose but misapplied as a general fitness machine. The TG is great for physical therapy, but it is limited for general use.

The resistance levels are not that high. You cannot do any serious leg work on it.

Changing the movements the way they do on the informercials means that you would not be matching the level of resistance to the muscles being used. Strength improvements occur as a result of progressively increasing resistance and working to muscle fatigue or close to it in a relatively small number of repetitions. Just moving around at random isn't going to do it.

In addition to the fact that Chuck Norris is a douche puppet who should not be believed about anything, the TG is an overpriced infomercial gadget that most people will quickly outgrow.
  • serindipte
    Options
    Thank you! That is what I was looking for! I wasn't going to get the TG because it's overpriced but I found one very similar for far less money. Still doesn't sound like a good buy, though. I'll reconsider free weights :)
  • CPAUTISM24
    CPAUTISM24 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I just purchased the Total Gym and have used it for 3 weeks. I really like it. For me... A good purchase
  • giusa
    giusa Posts: 577 Member
    Options
    My husband wanted to purchase a "smith" type machine, after some research I ended up with a power rack and oly bar. They take up the same amount of room, and the benefits of weights outweigh a smith machine hands down.