Doctor gave me challenging orders

Options
kiela64
kiela64 Posts: 1,447 Member
My BMI, as we discovered today with the scale and the weighing at my doctors' office, is a whopping 34. It's drastic. I need to lose weight. There are no immediate health problems other than general discomfort and a knee injury, but she speculates most of my sleeping issues, acid reflux, and general sore-body-achy-ness is weight-related, which is believable.

I've only been on here 26 days, and started slowly working out a bit again after not much for over a year. I'm generally getting 3 very light workouts a week, maybe one or two more moderate ones.

My doctor told me today that I need to be working out for at least 1h/day. I can't even fathom that right now. I went for a short walk today (~20min) and my knees and hip really hurt. I did one bigger workout on Tuesday - a 40min swim with some mild weights and stretches.

Does anyone have suggestions for steadily increasing activity level from such a low place?

I don't have too many commitments until September, so I want to learn better habits before school starts so school doesn't completely throw me like usual. I'm really worried about injuring myself because I injured my knee 2 years ago trying to be more active (jogging/walking more) and I think it's been holding me back for too long.

Replies

• shrinkingletters
    shrinkingletters Posts: 1,008 Member
    Options
    You can break up the hour. It doesn't have to be all in one session. Take 10-15 minute walk breaks throughout the day.
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options
    Definitely don't have to do one hour all at once, and it doesn't have to be all the same activities. Try the elliptical machine, it's low-to-no impact for the hips, knees, and back. Swimming, which you are trying already, is good. 20 minutes, 3 times a day is a good start so you don't feel fatigued trying to get to an hour.
    Take the stairs when you can, walk from farther back in parking lots, get a pedometer and shoot for 10,000 steps per day. Every movement counts.

Remember, weight loss is in the kitchen. Weigh all of your solid foods and stick to a calorie deficit. The workouts will get easier as you lose weight.
  • seska422
    seska422 Posts: 3,217 Member
    Options
    Doctors are not infallible.

Do what you can do without hurting yourself. Be careful. Only you can decide what you can handle.
  • shrinkingletters
    shrinkingletters Posts: 1,008 Member
    Options
    seska422 wrote: »
    Doctors are not infallible.

Do what you can do without hurting yourself. Be careful. Only you can decide what you can handle.

Good advice also.
  • softblondechick
    softblondechick Posts: 1,275 Member
    Options
    Slow is better than none. I also think just getting up from the sofa is a start. Look at cleaning and organizing as exercising. Just anything off the sofa is a starting point.

Park in the far corners of parking lots.

Something is better than nothing.
  • panchango
    panchango Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Cycling is another low impact option. Whatever you choose, do what you can without hurting yourself.

Like stated above, if you do not have one, get a kitchen scale. It is super easy to underestimate calories.

• SweetPeasMom55
    SweetPeasMom55 Posts: 3,385 Member
    Options
    I have a bad knee swimming or just doing any exercise in the pool is great. Just go slow and break up the exercise into time frames you can do. Good Luck!!!!
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,619 Member
    Options
    I like the idea of breaking it up. Try to stick with very low impact exercises at first: swimming, water aerobics, stationary bike, elliptical, walking. There are some indoor walking videos online that keep you at about a 4.0 pace, if you can't get outside. You can even do some strength training, while sitting if you have too.
  • atypicalsmith
    atypicalsmith Posts: 2,742 Member
    Options
    Just curious - if you only have 14 pounds to lose, what is the problem? Regardless, as others said, you don't have to do a whole hour all at once. You can break it down into multiple sessions several times a day.
  • mccindy72
    Options
    Just curious - if you only have 14 pounds to lose, what is the problem? Regardless, as others said, you don't have to do a whole hour all at once. You can break it down into multiple sessions several times a day.

I don't see where you get that OP only has 14 lbs to lose? OP says BMI is 34.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    mccindy72 wrote: »

Her ticker on her page says 6 lbs lost, 14 to go.
  • mccindy72
    Options

Hm. Ticker doesn't match BMI goal, or doctor's exercise requirement.
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    kae612 wrote: »
    My BMI, as we discovered today with the scale and the weighing at my doctors' office, is a whopping 34. It's drastic. I need to lose weight. There are no immediate health problems other than general discomfort and a knee injury, but she speculates most of my sleeping issues, acid reflux, and general sore-body-achy-ness is weight-related, which is believable.

I've only been on here 26 days, and started slowly working out a bit again after not much for over a year. I'm generally getting 3 very light workouts a week, maybe one or two more moderate ones.

My doctor told me today that I need to be working out for at least 1h/day. I can't even fathom that right now. I went for a short walk today (~20min) and my knees and hip really hurt. I did one bigger workout on Tuesday - a 40min swim with some mild weights and stretches.

Does anyone have suggestions for steadily increasing activity level from such a low place?

I don't have too many commitments until September, so I want to learn better habits before school starts so school doesn't completely throw me like usual. I'm really worried about injuring myself because I injured my knee 2 years ago trying to be more active (jogging/walking more) and I think it's been holding me back for too long.

Just build up gradually. This is a lifestyle change, so there is no deadline. The duration goal is not unrealistic, no matter how daunting it appears now.
  • 3dogsrunning
    Options

Could be a mini goal.
  • cblue315
    cblue315 Posts: 3,836 Member
    Options
    I started out with a BMI of 50. At that time all I could do was walk for 15 minutes at a time. So I would do that then go to the gym and walk for 15 minutes in the pool. Then rest for 10 mins and do it again. I did this almost every day for 6 months. By that time I was down 45 pounds. I slowly added the elliptical at first I could only do 3 to 5 minutes. But I built it up quickly and at the end of a month I could do 15 minutes.
    After 3 1/2 years my BMI is 29 and I am down 119 pounds. I can now run 5 miles. I did 2 triathlons this year and one duathlon.
    I am still about 30 pounds away from goal but I know I will get there. A fit life is possible.
  • mccindy72
    Options

Could be a mini goal.

So, that's why I was trying to help her with exercise and weight loss goals earlier, before her 14-lb ticker goal was brought up.
  • 3dogsrunning
    Options

Could be a mini goal.

So, that's why I was trying to help her with exercise and weight loss goals earlier, before her 14-lb ticker goal was brought up.

:confused:
    I didn't say anything about your advice.
  • mccindy72
    Options

Could be a mini goal.

:confused:
    I didn't say anything about your advice.

No, sorry, I quoted on the wrong person. I meant to quote on the original person questioning the 14-lb goal.
  • kiela64
    edited July 2015
    Options

Could be a mini goal.

Exactly. The big number is freaky and seems impossible (I eventually aim to be in a healthy BMI... but that's like...75lbs away...that's the weight of a young person. I can't imagine losing that..) What's on there is my "this year" goal. Or sooner. But if I do that, I've done something, and I can keep going. :smile: I really did just start, and I'm really scared it'll get too overwhelming and I'll give up. I don't want to give up; so small, reasonable, more attainable goals.

cblue315 wrote: »
    I started out with a BMI of 50. At that time all I could do was walk for 15 minutes at a time. So I would do that then go to the gym and walk for 15 minutes in the pool. Then rest for 10 mins and do it again. I did this almost every day for 6 months. By that time I was down 45 pounds. I slowly added the elliptical at first I could only do 3 to 5 minutes. But I built it up quickly and at the end of a month I could do 15 minutes.
    After 3 1/2 years my BMI is 29 and I am down 119 pounds. I can now run 5 miles. I did 2 triathlons this year and one duathlon.
    I am still about 30 pounds away from goal but I know I will get there. A fit life is possible.

That is amazing <3 Woah. You are so cool. Your dedication is awesome! I hope I get there too :blush:
    I like the idea of breaking it up. Try to stick with very low impact exercises at first: swimming, water aerobics, stationary bike, elliptical, walking. There are some indoor walking videos online that keep you at about a 4.0 pace, if you can't get outside. You can even do some strength training, while sitting if you have too.

My chiropractor said I should only do 10min on the elliptical at the most, because of my knee. It was my favourite exercise, because I could keep going for a long time and really sweat. But since my knee finding things that I can/should do is hard. Swimming is good. I love, love walking outside. The problem is that I overdo it and then I get stuck inside for a couple days feeling awful. I've started a small squat challenge, though I'm going through it slower than suggested (I've gotten through 1 week in 2 but it's a start).

Thanks so much! I got really freaked out by my doctor, the idea of going straight to 1h/day is really scary. Hopefully I get there soon though.
  • kiela64
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Azdak wrote: »
    kae612 wrote: »

Just build up gradually. This is a lifestyle change, so there is no deadline. The duration goal is not unrealistic, no matter how daunting it appears now.

<3 thank you. It's so scary, oh my god.

I have a bad knee swimming or just doing any exercise in the pool is great. Just go slow and break up the exercise into time frames you can do. Good Luck!!!!

Thank you!!!
    panchango wrote: »
    Cycling is another low impact option. Whatever you choose, do what you can without hurting yourself.

Like stated above, if you do not have one, get a kitchen scale. It is super easy to underestimate calories.

I actually can't ride a bike. I never learned how, but next time I see my chiropractor I'll ask about the stationary bike. I always used to hit my knees or be unable to reach the pedals, so I never really tried it. But I'll definitely check out another option.

The kitchen scale is another fight. I'd love to, but it would genuinely terrify my mother. She struggled with disordered undereating & would be worried. Maybe once I make some other changes, it won't be so scary for her and I can try that. But I need to go without it for a while, see if that works a little first.