My Journey!! On Contrave, anyone else?

Options
Hey,
I started MFP March 2, 2015. I also started Contrave on March 2, 2015. Feeling so thankful! Anyone else on Contrave?

Replies

• mdarlingaz
    mdarlingaz Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Yup! I love it and have been on contrave since November. I lost 15% of my body weight using that + diet and exercise. Good luck!
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,590 Member
    Options
    Is that something like Phentermine/Adipex? I took that for a month at the start of my weight loss and fitness program.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    Lots of really scary side effects, and

should be used with a reduced-calorie diet and increased physical activity

which is what you need to do to lose weight.

What the hell does it do??
  • kallston89
    kallston89 Posts: 29 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    I'm on my 3rd week of Contrave. I haven't experienced any side effects yet. I have gone from 240 lbs to 233 lbs since I started two weeks ago with no change in exercise regimen. My doctor had me decrease my calorie intake from 2050 to 1500. This could also be a reason for my loss.
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    Options
    kallston89 wrote: »
    My doctor had me decrease my calorie intake from 2050 to 1500. This could also be a reason for my loss.

Yup. :)
  • akalynnm
    akalynnm Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Hello Kallston89. I wanted to encourage you to continue Contrave as long as you aren't feeling the side effects. I have been on the program since April 29 and I am approaching 10% loss....already! That's 30lbs on a big guy, which means I have a long way to go....but I attribute losing that first 10% to the drug. I hope my urge to exercise more in addition to the drug helping me eat less will get me to my goal of 30%.
  • jobbl
    jobbl Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I'm also been on since April 29th. I was only on 1 pill 2x a day for over a month before increasing to the 2pills 2x a day. I'm down 34 pounds thus far, so made my 10% weight loss also. I notice the urge to eat is reduced which is great. Only side effect is constipation which is very unpleasant, but manageable.
  • akalynnm
    Options

jobbl wrote: »
    I'm also been on since April 29th. I was only on 1 pill 2x a day for over a month before increasing to the 2pills 2x a day. I'm down 34 pounds thus far, so made my 10% weight loss also. I notice the urge to eat is reduced which is great. Only side effect is constipation which is very unpleasant, but manageable.

Great Job! I just hit 13% today. The loss is definitely starting to slow down, so I am having to work much harder at this. If I can avoid travel and restaurants this would be so much simpler. As far as the constipation goes, I have read this on several other posts. I don't look at it as a side-effect of the medication, I believe it to be the significant change in diet. It does suck however. What are you doing if you miss a dose?
  • susandawson6510
    susandawson6510 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I started Contrave a week ago, after Wellbutrin on it's own didn't work and trying Qsymia (which made me terribly depressed) and I love it! I don't feel jittery at all, I feel much more centered and calm and I am NOT depressed like Qysmia. I don't know how others have felt on Qysmia, but honestly, it was terrible for me. I lost 7lbs. but it made me manic and then really depressed. Not a great combo! I've lost 5lbs in a week on Contrave, which is a miracle. Just wondering and I posted this in another thread, but maybe you all could help too? Please see my question below- and thank you and good luck on your search for weightloss!

My only question for everyone who is on it is: who out there is taking it solely at night? I woke up three times last night but went right back to sleep and slept until my alarm actually went off this morning -which was kind of a miracle- last week it was sleep at 11pm and waking up at 5 am with no good rest at all. I have switched my one pill and (and now, two pills starting next week) to nighttime and I think it helps w/ my insomnia that I had when I started and definitely helps with the grogginess that I had during the day. Does anyone else take it at night only now and how has it affected their sleep? Thoughts from anyone out there please? I can't get much info from the doc! Thanks so much-Susan
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    Options
    akalynnm wrote: »

As far as the constipation goes, I have read this on several other posts. I don't look at it as a side-effect of the medication, I believe it to be the significant change in diet. It does suck however.

Many, many medications have constipation as a side effect of their use, and Contrave is one of them. And yes, it *is* as a direct result of taking the medication.
  • GSanc2
    GSanc2 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    I started Contrave a week ago, after Wellbutrin on it's own didn't work and trying Qsymia (which made me terribly depressed) and I love it! I don't feel jittery at all, I feel much more centered and calm and I am NOT depressed like Qysmia. I don't know how others have felt on Qysmia, but honestly, it was terrible for me. I lost 7lbs. but it made me manic and then really depressed. Not a great combo! I've lost 5lbs in a week on Contrave, which is a miracle. Just wondering and I posted this in another thread, but maybe you all could help too? Please see my question below- and thank you and good luck on your search for weightloss!

My only question for everyone who is on it is: who out there is taking it solely at night? I woke up three times last night but went right back to sleep and slept until my alarm actually went off this morning -which was kind of a miracle- last week it was sleep at 11pm and waking up at 5 am with no good rest at all. I have switched my one pill and (and now, two pills starting next week) to nighttime and I think it helps w/ my insomnia that I had when I started and definitely helps with the grogginess that I had during the day. Does anyone else take it at night only now and how has it affected their sleep? Thoughts from anyone out there please? I can't get much info from the doc! Thanks so much-Susan

I'm on day 6 of Contrave & have lost 1.7lbs. I have no cravings & sometimes no hunger, but if I don't eat, I feel nauseous. I have watched everything I'm eating. I'm eating clean foods & I am not exceeding 1200 cals, maybe less. I walk daily about 4-5 miles. I have had some crying spells & some days have been better than others. No horrible side effects though. I have been waking up during the night a couple of times, but it could be because I am taking a nap daily. I stay up maybe 15-30 minutes, but fall back asleep. Today, I have forced myself to not nap so maybe I'll get around 7-8 hours of sleep & not wake up. Could you share what you've done to lose 5 lbs this week? My diet is good, but I'm not losing weight like you. Thank you, Gladys
  • GSanc2
    Options

I'm on day 6 of Contrave & have lost 1.7lbs. I'm eating very well & exercising daily. Would you please share what you have done to lose your weight? I'm needing all the help I can get. Thanks, Gladys
  • akalynnm
    Options
    GSanc2 wrote: »

I'm on day 6 of Contrave & have lost 1.7lbs. I'm eating very well & exercising daily. Would you please share what you have done to lose your weight? I'm needing all the help I can get. Thanks, Gladys

Hi Gladys,

I am on day 58 (I think) of taking Contrave and as of this morning have lost 13.6 % of the weight. In my personal situation, I was eating crap all the time and my exercise was almost nothing. With the help of Contrave I have been able to cut my meal portions in 1/2 and have all but eliminated snacking. With the loss also comes the motivation to exercise so I am hitting the weight loss from 2 angles now. Heck, I even bought a Fitbit to help track and challenge my activity level. I guess what I am trying to say is, don't get frustrated it will happen. 1.7 lbs in 6 days is nothing to sneeze at. When I go back to the doctor in another month, he will probably talk to me about losing too fast, so a 1.7 lb loss is steady but sure. Keep that up and you will be down 8 1/2 lbs in a month or 100 lbs in a year! It's also easy to get caught up in the lbs lost, but really what we should be gauging is percentage lost to make accurate comparisons, so don't get lost in the numbers. You are making progress, and that is the most important part. Keep up the healthy eating and exercise and the rest will come.
  • akalynnm
    Options

As far as the constipation goes, I have read this on several other posts. I don't look at it as a side-effect of the medication, I believe it to be the significant change in diet. It does suck however.

Many, many medications have constipation as a side effect of their use, and Contrave is one of them. And yes, it *is* as a direct result of taking the medication.

Sorry, I wasn't trying to debate the origin of constipation, I just know that more things than drugs can contribute. Wasn't trying to offend.
  • akalynnm
    Options

2 in the morning and 2 on my way home from work. I wake up more at night now than I did pre-Contrave, but overall feel much more focused in the morning. No grogginess at all here.
  • topol1na
    topol1na Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Hi guys! I'm on my 6th day of a contrave and so far I lost one pound. I am about 60 or 70 pounds overweight and my doctor wants me to do the medifast program along with contrave. With medifast I am logging in between 800 to 850 calories a day which seems pretty extreme. Just wondering if anyone else's doctor put them on an extreme diet to use with the medication.
  • akalynnm
    Options
    topol1na wrote: »
    Hi guys! I'm on my 6th day of a contrave and so far I lost one pound. I am about 60 or 70 pounds overweight and my doctor wants me to do the medifast program along with contrave. With medifast I am logging in between 800 to 850 calories a day which seems pretty extreme. Just wondering if anyone else's doctor put them on an extreme diet to use with the medication.

No extreme diet here, but my dr is pretty conservative. He will just be happy that I am losing weight. I don't know your medical situation though, me....I am not to the point where the wait was affecting my health..."yet".
  • GSanc2
    Options
    topol1na wrote: »

I'm eating low fat, low calorie foods. I've been on Contrave 9 days & have lost 4.6 lbs. I eat 5-6 small meals/snacks every 2-3 hours. It took me a few days to figure this out, but so far it's working. I eat between 1000-1100 cals per day & I exercise daily. I log in my 10,000 + steps per day. This plan seems to be working for me & yesterday I received my scale. I'm excited about that!
  • GSanc2
    Options
    GSanc2 wrote: »

Hi Gladys,

I am on day 58 (I think) of taking Contrave and as of this morning have lost 13.6 % of the weight. In my personal situation, I was eating crap all the time and my exercise was almost nothing. With the help of Contrave I have been able to cut my meal portions in 1/2 and have all but eliminated snacking. With the loss also comes the motivation to exercise so I am hitting the weight loss from 2 angles now. Heck, I even bought a Fitbit to help track and challenge my activity level. I guess what I am trying to say is, don't get frustrated it will happen. 1.7 lbs in 6 days is nothing to sneeze at. When I go back to the doctor in another month, he will probably talk to me about losing too fast, so a 1.7 lb loss is steady but sure. Keep that up and you will be down 8 1/2 lbs in a month or 100 lbs in a year! It's also easy to get caught up in the lbs lost, but really what we should be gauging is percentage lost to make accurate comparisons, so don't get lost in the numbers. You are making progress, and that is the most important part. Keep up the healthy eating and exercise and the rest will come.

Thank you! I'm on day 9 and have lost 4.6 lbs. I'm seeing results & I love it! I eat 5-6 times a day, small meals/snacks at 2-3 hr intervals. It seems to be working. I'm on a low cal/low fat clean eating diet. Absolutely no cravings for sweets or bad foods. Thank you for the advice, motivation, & encouragement. You've helped me see the light!! Congrats on your weight loss too & keep it up! You've done great!!
  • Jackie9950
    Jackie9950 Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    Just started today. Looking for friends to support me! Any takers?