Veggies Make Me Hungry

Options
I'm looking for low cal snack ideas. All I can think of is cold veggies like carrots, celery, bell peppers... And those make me feel really hungry. Something about the way they sit in my belly; I feel super hungry and crave foods like peanut butter, bread or pasta, cheese, black olives. I feel the same way after I eat a big salad; supposedly all that roughage fills you up but I feel starving ten minutes later. Anyone know why?

Anyway, I need ideas for snacks, other than cold veggies. :) Just for those times when I'm pretty hungry but need to save my budget for the next meal, something to tide me over. What are your favorites?

Replies

• LauraLeach5
    LauraLeach5 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    How low calorie are you looking for?? The reason you're still feeling hungry is lack of protein in the snack.
  • thop83
    thop83 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Some veggies actually burn more calories than they provide because of what the body requires to process them and break them down which makes for a deficit in calories or energy which could lead to hunger. Plus, as mentioned by @LauraLeach5 , protein is lacking as well as other essential nutrients.
  • crystalewhite
    crystalewhite Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    I would combine them with some kind of fat, like hummus, cheese, nut butter or avocado or herb-seasoned olive oil. You don't have to have a ton of the fat, just a little will help. Doing this helps me from pigging out at my next meal because I let myself get too hungry.
  • tibby531
    tibby531 Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    I do string cheese, little individual cups of shredded chicken, yogurt, cottage cheese, fruit, nuts. all the noms, just in smaller portions. :)
  • sophomorelove
    sophomorelove Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    apples and berries for me, or add hummus to the veggies
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    Raspberries are very filling.

Edamame has a good amount of protein and fiber and is the closest thing to nuts that I've found (that isn't actual nuts, of course.)

The single most filling food I eat (except for meat) is the Nature Valley Crunchy Granola Bars. I like Apple Crisp best, but Peanut Butter or Oats & Honey are good, too. They come two to a pack and just one is a very filling snack. Bathe crunchy ones are different than the soft, chewy, candy-like bars.

Most granola is filling, though. :)
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    String cheese is a great one or maybe have a laughing cow wedge with the dip. A little variety might help, too. Have some veggies, some kind of cheese, and half an apple or something.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    I'm looking for low cal snack ideas. All I can think of is cold veggies like carrots, celery, bell peppers... And those make me feel really hungry. Something about the way they sit in my belly; I feel super hungry and crave foods like peanut butter, bread or pasta, cheese, black olives. I feel the same way after I eat a big salad; supposedly all that roughage fills you up but I feel starving ten minutes later. Anyone know why?

My guess would be a lack of fat. Fiber slows digestion and may make you feel full longer, but I don't think it necessarily makes you feel fuller. Fat is very satiating.
    Anyway, I need ideas for snacks, other than cold veggies. :) Just for those times when I'm pretty hungry but need to save my budget for the next meal, something to tide me over. What are your favorites?

I'm not a big snacker, but dry roasted beans or nuts, hummus, spoonful of pb are my usual go to snacks.
  • pattymcnamara
    pattymcnamara Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I get exactly the same feeling you do. I describe it as feeling "full" but not feeling "satisfied". I find that adding some beans (especially chickpeas) or some cooked whole wheat pasta to salads is helpful. Seasoned and baked chickpeas are a good snack that really satisfies.
  • Homemaker57
    Homemaker57 Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    How low calorie are you looking for?? The reason you're still feeling hungry is lack of protein in the snack.

Just lower than a bowl of buttered pasta, or whatever else I crave if I get too hungry ;)
  • Homemaker57
    Options
    Thanks everyone, these are great ideas! I'm going to write them down in a list of snack ideas :) I found a bag of unsweetened coconut flakes in my pantry - yum!
  • ValerieMartini2Olives
    ValerieMartini2Olives Posts: 3,041 Member
    Options
    Eat protein with them
  • Homemaker57
    Options
    I get exactly the same feeling you do. I describe it as feeling "full" but not feeling "satisfied". I find that adding some beans (especially chickpeas) or some cooked whole wheat pasta to salads is helpful. Seasoned and baked chickpeas are a good snack that really satisfies.

I've never had chickpeas like that! Are they canned? Where do you find them?
  • NikiChicken
    NikiChicken Posts: 576 Member
    Options
    As others have said, add protein to your snacks.

Celery or apples with peanut butter
    String cheese
    Nuts
    Protein bars
    veggies and hummus
    Yogurt
    cottage cheese
    pudding cups

Make sure you use a food scale, measuring in grams, to measure your serving of all of the above. If you don't measure correctly, especially with the peanut butter, cottage cheese and nuts, your calorie count could be much higher than you really intended.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options

there is nothing wrong with peanut butter, bread, pasta, cheese, or black olives. in fact, with the exception of the olives, i eat all of those things almost daily.

weigh and measure some cheese or peanut butter and put it in a container for dipping your carrots or celery.

btw, roast beef is relatively low calorie when compared to other lunch meat out there. throw some of that with a roasted red pepper, some cheese, and a handful of spinach into a wrap (or go for it, get some whole wheat toast) and you have a killer midday meal.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options

Lack of protein and / or lack of fat. High fiber...zero fat doesn't work for me either.
  • rawhidenadz
    rawhidenadz Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    Do you actually like cold veggies? I can't really imagine not feeling physically full after a huge salad or like a pound of carrots as a snack, assuming you're getting enough protein and fat in your actual meals for the day. If you don't enjoy eating raw veggies, I would recommend just incorporating more veggies into your meals and switching your snacks to more protein and fat based foods. Small portions of beef jerky, string cheese, various nuts, hummus with anything, protein bars if you like those, and greek yogurt are some of my snack go-tos. I do like snacking on veggies, but there has to be a fat and/or protein component too, otherwise it's not very filling to me.

I make huge salads, but they're very filling. I eat them as a meal, and I get pretty creative about what I put in mine.

I just had a salad which was about 10 cups of chopped up mixed greens tossed with some dressing as the base. Heated up some homemade cauliflower rice (about 300g) and layered that on top. Cooked up a quick shakshuka with chopped onion, 3 tomatoes, 2 large eggs, 11 g of butter, to go on top of the cauliflower rice. Topped that with 75 g of fresh avocado, sprinkled some nutritional yeast flakes on top, and drizzled some lemon juice on top

65yljff8zmmh.png

I'm extremely full and satisfied after eating that, and I mean, I know you're asking about snack ideas, but it would be pretty easy to downsize a salad with similar stats to mine and still end up really filling and low-cal. Or what I would consider low-cal, anyway. Like, you could do a smaller salad of mixed greens, some tomato, cucumber, olives, avocado, dressing, nuts, lean protein (just some ideas), and depending on your ingredient ratio, you could get a pretty satisfying salad for 150-200 calories.

Sorry if my answer got a little off topic, I realize that you weren't asking about meals, but you mentioned salads and I wanted to point out that you can put a lot of other stuff in salads to help fill you up without breaking the calorie ban

• Oscar8890
    Oscar8890 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    For snacks I like to eat oatmeal or protein bars, fruits, some guac/half avocado, rice cakes, greek yogurt, or protein shake
  • sistrsprkl
    sistrsprkl Posts: 1,013 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    For your first question, I'm the same way and I think it's bc produce doesn't have fat or protein so it doesn't fill you up for long.
    Ideas for 2d question: popcorn, protein shake, small amounts of cottage cheese/greek yogurt, hard boiled eggs, a few nuts... this is what I snack on. Fruits & veggies too - but I need more to stay full!
    eta - oh and Think Thin bars too
  • KerrymBurgess
    KerrymBurgess Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Turn your veggies into soup, the added water content makes you feel fuller for longer!