Broccoli Potatoes and cheese

Options
jenng2385
jenng2385 Posts: 26 Member
edited July 2015 in Recipes
Baked potatoes and broccoli..

• 4 russet potatoes quartered
• 1 tbsp olive oil
• 14 oz Broccoli Florets (fresh or frozen)
• 2tbsp Butter
• 2tbsp Flour
• ¼ tsp dry mustard powder
• 1 Cup Milk
• 1½ cups Sharp shredded Cheese
• Salt and Pepper

1- Preheat oven to 400° and coat your quartered potatoes with oil and sprinkle lightly with salt, bake for about 25-35 minutes or until done

2-when potatoes are almost done, steam or boil (which ever you'd prefer) your broccoli for 4-5 minutes.. Until tender..

3-meanwhile, toss butter into saucepan, (low heat) when melted, add flour and mustard powder, whisk until lumps are gone.. (about a minute)
Slowly mix in milk, and turn up heat a bit, until mixture thickens slightly.. Stir in your shredded cheese, then simple add everything together in a baking dish, and ready to serve..

I enjoyed this recipe, it was easy, and quick, and well I hope you'll enjoy as well...

Replies

• darkrose20
    darkrose20 Posts: 1,139 Member
    Options
    This looks good. The homemade cheese sauce looks super. :)

FWIW, I have an easier version. I just nuke a potato for 10 to 15 minutes, boil frozen broccoli for 5 or so minutes then scoop the hot broccoli and shredded cheese over the insides of the hot potato once it's cooked. It's super good just like that.
  • jenng2385
    Options
    darkrose20
    Oh yes!
    The cheese sauce was amazing!! And so simple..
    I was surprised at how good it was!! It's a must try.. Even if it's just the sauce :p:)
  • maggiemay530
    maggiemay530 Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    Sounds really deelish! But how's the calorie and fat count ( per ? cup serving)
  • jenng2385
    Options
    Sounds really deelish! But how's the calorie and fat count ( per ? cup serving)

Not really sure, as it wasn't mentioned on the site I found the recipe on..
    Although here's the nutritional value of a similar recipe from another site....hope this helps..

Calories 231
    Fat 9 g
    Satfat 4 g
    Protein 16 g
    Carbohydrate 25 g
    Fiber 9 g
    Cholesterol 17 mg
    Sodium 364 mg
  • CLaukam
    CLaukam Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Sounds yummy - will definitely try this xx
  • Queenmunchy
    Queenmunchy Posts: 3,380 Member
    Options
    I do a really easy cheese sauce that I keep frozen - simmer a head of cauliflower in a small amount of water, purée, and add 4oz of sharp cheddar with seasoning (dry mustard, salt and pepper or adobo). I freeze them in ice cube trays and transfer to a freezer bag. When we're ready to eat, I microwave some cubes and use it as a sauce or veggies or mix with cooked pasta for my little one as Mac and cheese. She loves it and always asks for cauliflower Mac and cheese for dinner.
  • yeahfatty
    yeahfatty Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    I do a really easy cheese sauce that I keep frozen - simmer a head of cauliflower in a small amount of water, purée, and add 4oz of sharp cheddar with seasoning (dry mustard, salt and pepper or adobo). I freeze them in ice cube trays and transfer to a freezer bag. When we're ready to eat, I microwave some cubes and use it as a sauce or veggies or mix with cooked pasta for my little one as Mac and cheese. She loves it and always asks for cauliflower Mac and cheese for dinner.

So need to try this!
  • Queenmunchy
    Queenmunchy Posts: 3,380 Member
    Options
    yeahfatty wrote: »

So need to try this!

Super easy and keeps for months! I've had it on-hand for probably 7 years now.
  • jenng2385
    Options

Definitely going to have to try making this!! Thanks
    Sounds awesome!!