What to wear at the gym (clothing for men advise)

blackburnguy
blackburnguy Posts: 4 Member
edited July 2015 in Fitness and Exercise
Hi, Just about to join a gym, I`ve got to do an induction, but before i go need to buy "gym clothes"

I did have a look at sport direct (i know, but there cheap :/ ) they advised tracksuit bottoms and gym top, so much polyester!! is that better then 100% cotton. aiming to go 3 times a week so getting shorts, joggers, tops x3 and some trainers.

I`m still a chunky monkey so don`t want tight clothing, so any advise will be welcome.

Thanks

Replies

• SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    I always wear shots and a tank...a light cotton hoody if it's chilly, ankle socks and shoes.
  • isthatpoisontoo
    isthatpoisontoo Posts: 21 Member
    I'm not a man, but I do wear clothes.

Cotton holds water really well. So when you sweat, it stays in your tshirt and makes you uncomfortable. I steal my (male) partner's sweat wicking tshirts when I go to the gym, and wear them loose, they're much better than cotton.

You're in the UK, no? Is Decathlon not cheaper than Sports Direct?
  • blackburnguy
    Hi, i`ll have a look at decathlon website, thanks, only went to SD as i was walking past, so popped in, (i changed my headline as it didn`t sound right)
  • csman49
    csman49 Posts: 1,100 Member
    Wiggle is good for online stuff. Decathlon is good value for money. Wear whatever you're comfortable in.
  • samhennings
    samhennings Posts: 441 Member
    I just wear some cotton joggers and any old tshirt. Nothing fancy.

Picked up some Admiral (old school brand!) joggers in Primark for £8, do the job just fine.
  • SonyaCele
    SonyaCele Posts: 2,841 Member
    please don't wear a half top with your mid drift exposed and shorty shorts.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,249 Member
    Polyester will wick perspiration away from your skin whereas cotton just get wets & clammy feeling.

Workout clothes can get a little pongy after a while and polyester seems to hold the stink more than cotton - soak them in a bucket of water with a cup of vinegar thrown in every now and again before you wash them.
  • cbrook29
    cbrook29 Posts: 57 Member
    I wear dry-fit clothing because I dislike sweaty clothes. You can get some nice gear at Walmart also. As you slim down you might want more form fitting clothes to show off your gains!!
  • jbouton40
    jbouton40 Posts: 54 Member
    Polyester will wick perspiration away from your skin whereas cotton just get wets & clammy feeling.

Workout clothes can get a little pongy after a while and polyester seems to hold the stink more than cotton - soak them in a bucket of water with a cup of vinegar thrown in every now and again before you wash them.
    That's a great idea. My kids always say my gym stuff stinks
  • jbouton40
    jbouton40 Posts: 54 Member
    Depends on how and where you sweat. I have to wear dark shorts because it looks like I wet my pants.
  • giantrobot_powerlifting
    giantrobot_powerlifting Posts: 2,598 Member
    I don't know how I managed to get through workouts back-in-the-day in non-wicking clothes. I still wear a heavy cotton hoody to stay warm between sets, but after that, no cotton thank you.
  • barryplumber
    barryplumber Posts: 401 Member
    I wear dry fit clothing as well they will get wet from sweat but it takes a lot to get them wet. I don't go for under armor or Nike stuff i buy the much cheaper at Walmart just as good for my propose i mean its gym cloths not like your going out somewhere fancy.
  • 95savvy
    95savvy Posts: 114 Member
    wear what makes you comfortable, and confident. B)
  • gsayler860
    gsayler860 Posts: 25 Member
    Dry fit shirts are the way to go. I however have found that the cheap shirts tend to have itchy stitching on the insides. Nike Pro Combat shirts are the way to go IMO. Pricey but they fit well, hold up forever and look nice.
  • rileyes
    rileyes Posts: 1,404 Member
    Moisture wicking underwear ("knickers" old chap) and socks too. Also test the clothes by bending over or other movements you may be doing at the gym. I know it's fashionable to wear the pants below the butt, but... Also you probably want your shirt to be long and on the tighter side unless you want to show off your abs when doing a deadlift or downward dog.

I prefer form fitting clothes for certain workouts as they make me feel more streamlined--less flopping of clothes.
  • blackburnguy
    Hi, thanks for the advise, in the end i got some 3/4 polyester shorts, (thanks to charity shop) i tried shorter but didn't feel good in them. and 2 polyester tops, they should do me for now, next.. trainers, then i`m ready to bring on the pain.

• colors_fade
    colors_fade Posts: 464 Member
    edited July 2015
    NPR had a thing on polyester and the fact that bacteria likes it better. I always wondered why my "sports" shirts, which were polyester, stunk way more after one workout than my cotton stuff.

So, I stopped wearing polyester.

I now just wear cotton T-shirts from Old Navy, and then a pair of gym shorts.

• AsISmile
    AsISmile Posts: 1,004 Member
    NPR had a thing on polyester and the fact that bacteria likes it better. I always wondered why my "sports" shirts, which were polyester, stunk way more after one workout than my cotton stuff.

So, I stopped wearing polyester.

I now just wear cotton T-shirts from Old Navy, and then a pair of gym shorts.

Absolutely true about the bacteria, but for me cotton is not an option.
    I do the vinegar soak, but at some point the smell doesn't come out anymore. Atleast then I know it is time for new stuff.
  • No_Finish_Line
    No_Finish_Line Posts: 3,662 Member
    I know I'm not the only guy that looks at a shirt with holes in it and or stains on it and says 'this would be good for working on the car... or the gym' lol
  • betuel75
    betuel75 Posts: 776 Member
    95savvy wrote: »
    wear what makes you comfortable, and confident. B)

yup, I cant wear "workout cloths". I work out in my surfer, skater everyday wear looking clothes.