Could use some help

Options
Hi everyone,
I've recently realized I need to make a serious change in my life. I need to lose about 150 pounds, but I need to drop about 30-40 in the next month or so and trust me, I've got the weight to lose. I'm cutting down to about 1400 calories a day, drinking at least a gallon of water a day, and cardio/weight lifting. My question to you is should I only eat like 2-3 meals a day consisting of all y calories, or should I spread them out throughout the day? I'll honestly take any tips on anything, too. From ways to stay motivated to even some tasty healthy things to eat. I've tried before and couldn't stay committed but this time I need to. Any help is definitely appreciated. thank you!

Replies

• Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Food timing is irrelevant, it's all about CICO.
    1400 calories is NOT enough for a 19 year old male! You need to eat at least 1500 plus a portion of your exercise calories.
  • kbritt41
    kbritt41 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Liftng4Lis wrote: »
    1400 calories is NOT enough for a 19 year old male! You need to eat at least 1500 plus a portion of your exercise calories.

I have heard that you shouldn't eat after 9 o'clock, but the more research I do the more I see that shouldn't be, especially if you stay up late. Can you shed light on the situation?
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    kbritt41 wrote: »

I have heard that you shouldn't eat after 9 o'clock, but the more research I do the more I see that shouldn't be, especially if you stay up late. Can you shed light on the situation?

You can eat any time you want. Your body's processes work for you 24/7.
    Some rare people cannot eat just before bed because food disturbs their sleep.
    The rest of us can eat late at night.

• seska422
    seska422 Posts: 3,217 Member
    Options
    I need to drop about 30-40 in the next month or so and trust me, I've got the weight to lose.
    What's the rush? You gained that weight over time so there's nothing wrong with taking time to lose it.

Don't get discouraged if you don't actually make that deadline. Weight loss is a marathon, not a sprint.
  • franceslinton
    franceslinton Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    don't be overly aggressive. that's the first step towards failure. Slow and steady, and you've GOT this! Make sure your MFP settings accurately reflect your daily activity so that your calorie goal is correct. Also, I'd recommend setting your goal to 1-1.5lbs loss per week. This doesn't sound like a lot of loss, but it's realistic and healthy. PLUS you'll be surprised to see that you'll actually lose more than that!
  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,652 Member
    Options
    I think it's overly conservative for someone with 150 pounds to lose to set a goal of 1-1.5 pounds per week.

Slow and steady also has risks of failure when you drag something out over 3+ years.
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    don't eat after 9 and run on your reserves until the following day ? Seems fair enough.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options

You are not going to turn into one of these if you eat after 9!:wdrkm6yg13c8.gif
  • editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    Options
    You lose weight by eating fewer calories than you burn—period. Learn to log everything you eat & drink accurately and honestly. Logging works.

Hands down, the best weight-loss advice I ever received was to read the Sexypants post: https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1080242/a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants/p1