Ankle surgery

Options
I had ankle surgery last week and I am finding it really hard to stay within my 1200 calorie allotment. Prior to this, I was exercising 30-60 minutes daily and that calorie cushion was nice. I guess I am looking for words of encouragement and possibly stories of surgery and how to avoid weight gain. Thanks!!!!

Replies

• seska422
    seska422 Posts: 3,217 Member
    Options
    I'm so sorry you hurt your ankle! I hope it gets better soon.

I would suggest switching to 0.5 pounds a week, or even maintenance, right now so that you get some more calories.
  • AsISmile
    AsISmile Posts: 1,004 Member
    Options
    seska422 wrote: »
    I'm so sorry you hurt your ankle! I hope it gets better soon.

I would suggest switching to 0.5 pounds a week, or even maintenance, right now so that you get some more calories.

This. Put the weightloss on pause and just focus on recovery.
    If you eat at maintenance or a small defecit you will not gain weight.

• snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    Options
    Are you on crutches? That's a good workout right there!
  • RaspberryTickleChicken
    RaspberryTickleChicken Posts: 629 Member
    Options
    Sorry to hear about your ankle. Hope it went well.

Are you in maint & still on 1200 a day? Or are you going back to 1200 to offset a lack of exercise?
  • Azexas
    Azexas Posts: 4,334 Member
    Options
    Crutches themselves are an awesome ab workout from what I remember after having ankle surgery.

Personally, I would suggest putting a hold on weight loss for the time being and focus on maintaining and healing.
  • LessofPenny
    LessofPenny Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I agree with all of the above....don't try to lose....just attempt to stay within your calories and allow your body to rest. Don't try to rush or else you may make the healing process take longer. Get well soon. Log daily even if you can't work out. A big part of this diet is being faithful to your goal and logging is one of them. If you stop....you may forget how and hopefully you have a good group of friends to support you as you eventually make baby steps back into being mobile...
  • scarrletti_girl
    scarrletti_girl Posts: 479 Member
    Options
    I agree. Take a hold lower your weight loss goal for a little while, and just focus on healing your ankle properly. Good luck!
  • slp51
    slp51 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    I had leg/foot surgery on June 10. I stopped logging the day before the surgery because I knew I'd be hospitalized for a few days, not to mention groggy from pain meds. The hospital food was horrible plus I didn't (and still don't) have much of an appetite. Once I returned home my husband prepared my meals. He is not into measuring/weighing. I can't exercise (I imagine the same is true for you?). So with all that what was the point of logging?

The only things I craved while on bed rest (4weeks) were chocolate covered cherries and Dairy Queen peanut buster parfait. So I ate those frequently.

Yesterday I weighed myself and I've lost one pound. ??? Have no idea other than I pretty much lived on mashed potatoes, chocolate covered cherries and peanut buster parfaits.

And I'm BORED OUT OF MY MIND because I still have about a months' worth of recovery before tossing my walker. I'm worried a bit because I can see my appetite is beginning to slowly return. But I fought hard to lose 30 lbs and I will not put them back on. No way.

I guess what I'd suggest is dig deep for motivation to be careful what you eat (unless it is JUST candy and ice cream like me LOL). Focus on WHY you joined MFP in the first place. And I agree with the other posts: eat at maintenance until you're released from your doctor. It will be tough, but you're tougher, right?

Best of luck in your recovery!