Eating the best of the healthy foods

Options
AlexanderDevin
AlexanderDevin Posts: 5 Member
My wife and I are trying to eat healthy, but we really LOVE to eat unhealthy. Greasy burgers, gumbo, pizza and BBQ ribs just taste so good! So to help us transition, what are your favorite healthy foods? They don't have to be super healthy, just taste good and be somewhat healthy. (Haha) Any recommendations will be greatly appreciated. :)

Replies

• jodiestevenson2015
    jodiestevenson2015 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I always make turkey burgers and have them with coleslaw and butternut squash chips
    Recipe
    (serves 4)
    600g lean turkey mince
    Chilli flakes garlic and chives to taste (I like hot food so add a lot)
    Mix together well until the mince is in a patties, separate into four and mould as a burger.
    Slice 400g butternut squash then cut into chips, spray a baking tray with frylight then place butternut squash on, spray with frylight and cook in the oven occasionally turning, grate 1 large carrots, shred 1/6th white cabbage and finely slice 1 small onion mix together then add 4 tbsp of extra light mayonnaise and mix until combined, when the butternut squash is halfway cooked cook the burgers serve burgers in Wholemeal sandwich thins. A healthy version of burger and chips :)
  • AlexanderDevin
    Options
    Wow! That sounds very interesting. I've never heard of butternut squash chips. I'm going to try that today, thanks!
  • jcraig10
    jcraig10 Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    I would start out with something easy. Some of my go to meals are:

1. Chicken or a roast in the crock pot - pair with some veggies...carrots, broccoli, anything you like
    2. Chicken quesadillas (don't use too much cheese)
    3. Turkey bacon/sausage and egg muffins (google recipes for the muffins - very easy!)
    4. Turkey Burgers
    5. Stirfry - chicken with mushrooms, green peppers, broccoli - lay in a bed of brown rice

Definitely experiment with basic recipes to find out what you like and what you don't.
  • dklibert
    dklibert Posts: 1,196 Member
    Options
    I make turkey burgers too. I always put something in the burger mix to keep it moist and something to season the inside. My usual choice is light mayo and citrus zest. Then I season the outside and grill. I usual top with great toppings. Here is a link to one burger I made: soupspiceeverythingnice.blogspot.com/2014/05/cilantro-lime-turkey-burgers.html

I am a Louisiana girl and I make gumbo with the dry roux you can buy at the store. It comes in a glass jar and it basically flour that has been browned in the oven. I saute the veggies in very little oil maybe a tablespoon or two then when they a soft you stir in the dry roux mix it in they add your liquid and other ingredients. It really lowers the fat in traditional gumbo.

Here is a soup that have gumbo flavor but it is all veggies.

Cajun Inspired Soup

Servings | 12 about 6 oz each

Ingredients

1/8 cup Tony Chachere's Roux Mix
    1 leaf bay leaf
    1/2 tsp black pepper
    1 cup celery, sliced
    1 clove garlic clove(s)
    16 oz frozen okra
    1 cup onion(s), chopped
    1 cup scallion(s)
    1 cup parsley
    1 bell pepper(s), chopped
    15 oz canned tomatoes
    1/2 tsp dried thyme, or 1 tsp fresh
    1 tsp kosher salt
    1 Tbsp liquid smoke
    1 tsp Cajun seasoning
    1/2 tsp crushed red pepper flakes
    4 cup fat-free, reduced-sodium chicken broth

Instructions

Chop vegetables the same size as okra about 3/4 inch dice. Spray a soup pot with olive oil cooking spray. Saute onion, green pepper, and celery until onion starts to turn translucent. Sprinkle roux over veggies and stir in well. Add all other ingredients except parsley. Bring to a boil then reduce heat to low and simmer 10 minutes. Add parsley in last few minutes of cooking time.

It is spicy so adjust the pepper to your taste. You can add chicken, crab, shrimp, sausage, and/or rice.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    I would go to skinnytaste.com and see what jumps out at you. good food and healthy
  • LiftAndBalance
    LiftAndBalance Posts: 960 Member
    Options
    I like crustless quiche: Sauté a bunch of chopped veggies (and diced meat if you want) with some spices (I like salt, pepper and thyme). Whisk four eggs with more spices, altogether about 1 cup of dairy (I like to use half milk, half something a bit thicker like sour cream or canned coconut milk), and grated or finely chopped cheese. Fill the veggies in an oven dish, cover with the egg mixture and stir slightly to ensure everything's mixed well. Bake on 175°C for about 45 minutes until the top becomes golden and the quiche is still soft but firm.
  • AlexanderDevin
    Options
    Thank you all so much! I'm really excited to start making some of these suggestions.
  • debtay123
    debtay123 Posts: 1,327 Member
    Options
    I Love the idea of stirfry. They are so versatile and always light. You can add grains or more carbs if desired. for example you can take the frozen veggies of your choice and lightly stirfry with any lean protein you desire- chicken, ground turkey even shrimp or scallops that you say you love. next be sure to use only a little oil or even better spray such as Pam. Then if you like season to taste or use low sodium soy sauce for an asian flair. Last if you desire place on a bed of brown rice, or a bed of quinoa or even over cooked sweet potatoes- delicious and filling and low in calories.