Chewing Fingernails

candistyx
candistyx Posts: 547 Member
edited September 27 in Health and Weight Loss
Whenever I feel like eating but don't eat I tend to unconsciously chew my nails.
Last night I went to bed and I was hungry but I figured its late I can eat in the morning.
It happened again (that reminded me), now this morning my middle finger and thumb are chewed down below the skin line, the skin is chewed and ragged, its painful, I don't mind chewing my nails just to keep them short but chewing them to the point the sensitive skin under the nail is exposed and makes me in pain is... well horrible.

I've tried the nasty nail tasting stuff, it doesnt work. I am good for a few days but then I give up because it gets in my mouth for all kinds of reasons not related to nail biting.

Does anyone else have this problem?

Replies

• cjs3001
    cjs3001 Posts: 273 Member
    I used to be awful for biting my nails. Have you tried keeping them painted? That helped me, because I'd hate getting bits of nail varnish in my mouth.
  • Colmanetg
    Colmanetg Posts: 1 Member
    Do a proper manicure on yourself or (even better, since you're female) go pay for one. Keep in mind that when you chew you're ruining the (possibly expensive) manicure, and more importantly, the look of your hands. Remember to keep your manicure in shape. Develop a little vanity about it.

Worked for me, and I'm a boy. A little vanity is a useful tool.
  • jeff261159
    jeff261159 Posts: 385
    wear mittens in bed, souds daft but it will break the habit! woolen mittens taste awful!!
  • peacehawk
    peacehawk Posts: 421 Member
    I was actually thinking about this last night. I have been a lifelong nail biter, but suddenly my nails are getting long. I chiped a tooth a few weeks ago from biting my nails. Surprised the heck out of me! Now, when I go in for the bite, I run my tongue over thr spot ewhere my two bottom teeth meet (my favorite teeth for chewing nails) hoping against hope that the chip has suddenly gone away so I can chew. But, alas, I still feel it, small though it is (not quite visible) I stop myself in hopes of postponing a larger problem until I can get to the dentist. So for now, my nails are growing. So, what the heck do I do with them? They are too pretty to cut but they get in. The way when I'm typing on my android. And I'm going to be digging in the garden any day now, and......:ohwell: :flowerforyou: :happy: :smooched: :bigsmile:
  • vonpod
    vonpod Posts: 5
    have a set of acrylic gel nails put on. Think you would struggle to bite at them:bigsmile:
  • Tarah40
    Tarah40 Posts: 75 Member
    I was a lifelong nail biter (to the point of bleeding fingers and wicks), my mum tried everything to stop me but nothing worked. Then 2 years ago I went on a cruise and treated myself to some acrylic nails before I went.
    I only had them on for 2 weeks but they felt completely different to biting my own nails so I couldn't bite them for those 2 weeks. Since they came off I haven't bitten my nails although they are very weak and break easily due to years biting.
    Also I'm a nurse so when I have a ragged nail which has broken and get tempted to have a nibble I think about all the places my hands have been throughout the day (not very nice even when you know you've washed your hands).
This discussion has been closed.