I've been binging and have all the tools, and a caring family but i don't use the tools what do i do

Options
So, I've having troubles wit myself and I'm in a funk and I really need some advice on how to get thru this and I need more ways to make exercising more fun or how to not binge i have temptations EVERYWHERE and I do mean everywhere st school I try to find chocolatey or just sweets my go to thing is sweets and it won't go away I seriously need some help plzz

Replies

• Jacqui_Runs
    Jacqui_Runs Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Ok, firstly, I can tell you are freaking out - CALM DOWN! Many people here face daily temptations from foods, and we all give in once in a while. One bad day or one bad week will not throw you completely off track.

If you are able to do it, bringing your own snacks to school will help you a lot. Pretzels, blueberries, a banana, honey roasted cashews are my go-to snack. Ask in the "Food and Nutrition" section what sweet snack you can have that will satisfy your craving many will say fruit like strawberries (they are right), or drinking water first and waiting 15 minutes (right again). Also, since you like chocolate, they do sell trail mix with chocolate pieces. Pay attention to the serving size, but the chocolate will satisfy your craving, and the nuts will give you protein to hold off your hunger.

As far as exercise, what do you do? Do you run? Do you go to a gym? Do you dance or do yoga? For many people, working out with a friend or in a group keeps it from being to boring.

Personally, I've started running (haven't been running in 2+ years) and I'm doing the couch to 5k program. I run outside instead of in the gym on a treadmill because I get bored easily. I ran in the evening when it's cooler, and I go different places - the park, the track, around a lake, recently I've been running by the Hudson River. There's a lot you can do to not get bored. Don't worry!
  • PixelPuff
    PixelPuff Posts: 901 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    For not binging, I just... Don't. I have the cravings all the time.

Honestly. 100% of the time, I am 'hungry'. I used to be where I would be throwing up due to overeating [not purging, just literally throwing up because TOO MUCH FOOD], and I would still be 'hungry', wanting to eat, as I'm in pain and throwing up.

So I just didn't binge anymore. Cravings aren't quite as bad anymore [medicine from something unrelated helped to cut that down initially], but I'm still 90% hungry all the time. So I just... Don't. Once I hit my goal for day? NOPE. No more.

/edit
    By the way, I'm totally not knocking you. I know not everyone can cold turkey like me; cold turkey is my specialty on quitting things, I've found. Just giving my personal experience.
  • serasmommy
    serasmommy Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I've been making some truly terrible choices over the last few days myself. I'm bringing that huge box of cookies to a family function tomorrow and that will help enormously! Just to not have it around me.
    Starting over again! Going to brush my teeth and go to bed early! no more cookies.
  • Jocampgrl
    Jocampgrl Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    i have also found that it helps to have a friend (mine is on MFP) that you can msg daily and encourage each other to make healthy choices or give a shout out to when you're having a rough temptation day. It's helpful to have a connection with others with a similar goal. help you to not feel so alone.

it also might help to view your sugar cravings from an addiction framework. physically you may be craving sugar and when you are bored or have any negative emotions you are craving the "joy" of sugar. might be worth exploring that angle a little bit more? If it is more addictive then it would also be helpful to focus on "one day (or moment) at a time". If you binge, its not the end of the world. keeping it secret will increase your shame and disappointment which will only bog you down more. you can do this with support. :)
  • PixelPuff
    PixelPuff Posts: 901 Member
    Options
    @serasmommy I did that with my candy stash. I filled a shoebox to overflowing with all of my goodies [many of them from overseas], brought them to work, and handed them out to all of my coworkers... It was a bit liberating to have the stash gone, honestly.
  • nicolemack123
    nicolemack123 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    thank you @PixelPuff and im not knocking what you are saying i actually give a huge thumbs up that you can just quit cold turkey ^~^ also thank you @Jacqui_Runs for the great advice i will take a look at the food and nutrition area and @serasmommy I also thank you and i hope you stay strong and i'll see if i can get and better mind set about my food and see if i can make a personal made safety program and get some ideas from my parents like maybe like every 1-2 hours just to remind me to stay strong or something oh yeh @Jocampgrl I've been sneak eating that im going to see what i can do with that and just in general with this problem I'm going have a talk with my parents and see what i can do about this thank you all about all of this advice
  • nicolemack123
    nicolemack123 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    also @Jaqui_Runs i can't do much where i live the only can ride my bike around my block and i cant even ride it down to my church because I'm not trustworthy and my parents get nervous that i might get kidnapped or get hit and i can walk around the block and for downstairs i have a treadmill, the T25 video pack, the insanity video pack, a bow flex, a homemade sand ball, resistant bands, jump ropes and regular weights and a punching bag and since this week I've jump roped once and punched the bag once also did some basket shooting once on tuesday at the YMCA i also have a basket ball hoop and i usually use that on the weekends. Do you have any advice on that how do i make that more interesting?
  • arathena720
    arathena720 Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    You could make it into a game. Have a goal of a certain number of baskets you have to make, or time yourself to see how many baskets you can make in a certain time frame.
  • brandyosu
    brandyosu Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    Do you have access to a computer? If you have something with a screen that is large enough (even better if you have a way to stream it to television) there are TONS of exercise videos available on youtube.
  • redscylla
    redscylla Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    You say you have the tools, so obviously the obstacle is that you're not using your tools. Do you have a daily system whereby you look at your tools and exercise them? Do you have a list of reasons why you're not going to binge? Do you have a list of alternative actions to bingeing? Do you have a plan of action for when you are tempted? If you don't have these things, you need to make them. I keep them in notes on my phone. Once you have them, you need to open the tool box and use the tools. Every morning, I read my motivations. I go over my alternative activities. I rehearse my plans of action. I do this many times every single day. The more you repeat them, the more familiar they'll be. You have to retrain your brain.