Headaches

Options
doll_zoe
doll_zoe Posts: 4 Member
I always get bad headaches when I start a new diet and it makes me want to give up . Help me :(

Replies

• Steve_ApexNC
    Steve_ApexNC Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    your profile is closed, so it is impossible to see the food or calories you are consuming. It could be a number of things:
    1. Insufficient caloric intake: make sure you get your minimum calories. Crash dieting is dangerous and does not result in long term weight loss. Healthy lifestyle changes that are sustainable are the only way to lose and keep it gone.
    2. Dehydration: make sure you drink plenty of water.
    3. Caffeine withdrawl: are you suddenly cutting out sources of caffeine such as coffee, soda, or energy drinks? If so, you are going to have to work through the withdraw - it took me about 2 weeks of headaches when I gave up soda and coffee years ago. I do drink coffee again, but limit it to 2 cups in the morning.
    4. Sleep deprivation - have there been changes to your sleep patterns since you started your diet? Especially related to caffeine or exercise. Caffeine is self explanatory. Some people (and I am one), can get pretty geeked up after a workout. If I exercise too late in the evening, I may have trouble falling asleep. Guaranteed headache the next morning.

Those are just some ideas. You will need to look at your food intake and life changes to see what might be triggering headaches. If they persist and you can't find a cause - see a doctor.

• doll_zoe
    Options
    I think it's the caffeine I use to drink so much soda and I cut my self off completely . But it's ok to drink coffee ?
  • Tundeg
    Tundeg Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Coffee is fine as long as you don't put loads of sugar. I use only milk.
  • coreyreichle
    coreyreichle Posts: 1,031 Member
    Options
    Why not drink coffee? I think a cuppa joe with 2 tsp of sugar is like 20 calories...
  • doll_zoe
    Options
    Hmmm thanks I'll try and see if that helps
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options
    Tundeg wrote: »
    Coffee is fine as long as you don't put loads of sugar. I use only milk.

Why not use sugar? It's only 16 calories per teaspoon. and btw, milk has sugar in it....
  • Steve_ApexNC
    Steve_ApexNC Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    doll_zoe wrote: »
    I think it's the caffeine I use to drink so much soda and I cut my self off completely . But it's ok to drink coffee ?
    I'm not sure I understand the question. Most people stop soda intake on a diet because of the calories in the average can of pop. Even diet soda is linked to weight control issues. Although not proven, there is quite a bit of support via various studies that artificial sweetner may 'trick' your body's sugar feedback mechanisms ultimately resulting in you craving/eating more food to get more sugar. Just google some on diet soda's contributions to weight gain and obesity and you will find lots. But, you will need read critically and to draw your own conclusions.

Anyway, coffee and tea are pretty close to null calories. Black coffee is something like 2 calories per cup. Of course that goes up if you add sugar and creamers. (and even if you use artificial sweetners...well...again, do your own research on that as the jury remains out). So, from a weight loss perspective - yea, coffee is pretty innocuous. There are lots of people who believe coffee may have other ill effects on health, but my reading suggests that is way overblown for the moderate coffee drinker - say 2 cups a day. But I also know that anything in excess is likely to have certain risks, so I wouldn't recommend pounding 5 or 6 or more cups of the stuff a day. But, again, I would suggest you hit the all mighty google and find some respectable data from respectable sites (say the Mayo clinic) and make your own conclusions. Everyone is different and only you can assess your health needs along with help from your doctor.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Why are you giving up anything? It's unnecessary.
  • iLoveMyPitbull1225
    iLoveMyPitbull1225 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    Considering your other thread where you said you had consumed 600 calories in meal replacement shakes and 1400 calories left for the day, I'd venture to guess that not eating enough may be linked to your headaches. The lack of caffeine may also be a factor, or dehydration.
  • rachelscheepstra
    rachelscheepstra Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Often when you change your diet drastically your body has this adjusting period where you get symptoms such as headches, fatigue, etc. It happens to me too ☺
  • triciab79
    triciab79 Posts: 1,713 Member
    Options
    Meh, I lost 100lbs drinking diet coke and I have kept that 100lbs off drinking diet coke for nearly 3yrs. People only have an issue with diet sodas when they think they can have a Big Mac and a diet coke and somehow one cancels out the other.
  • triciab79
    triciab79 Posts: 1,713 Member
    Options
    As for the headaches, get caffine, don't try to cut calories and give up caffine at the same time. Drink plenty of water and if you still have headaches take a pill and push through it.