Hate Exercise

Options
Just received a total knee replacement and I am sooooo tired of exercise. Other than eating healthy, any ideas? Swimming is my next.

Replies

• megruder
    megruder Posts: 216
    Options
    I've never really like exercising. I really don't like walking on the treadmill, so finally found a gym that offers a bunch of different types of classes. The classes keep me a bit more interested. I would suggest just trying a bunch of different things until you find something that works. I would even suggest things you might not think you'd like. I thought I would hate spinning, but tried it and actually enjoyed it. As for having a knee replacement, you may be more limited. I would definitely try swimming and other water aerobics. My gym offers an Aqua Zumba class, haven't tried it yet as I still need to get a swimsuit. Yoga might be a good idea as well, but I would suggest finding a good yoga instructor that can suggest modification based on your limitations. I hope this helps.
  • milaxx
    milaxx Posts: 1,122 Member
    Options
    I take water aerobics due to a bad knee. I hate exercise, but I really like the water aerobics class.nI've heard of water zumba but my gym doesn't offer it

Pilates might also be a good idea since it's low impact and was designed for dancer recuperating from injuries.
  • velvetkat
    velvetkat Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    using the pool is a great way to exercise that new knee without feeling like your exercising. Believe me I know. I have 2 knee replacements and a hip replacement. The knee PT was a killer but when I decided I wanted to lose weight I started out with walking and treading water in the pool. treading water because I had a hard time doing the movements necessary to do the strokes for doing laps. Now almost 4 months later I am incorporating the strokes into my 60 minutes of treading water. You can also get a buoyancy belt and resistance equipment online for relatively cheap to incorporate into you routine.
    From starting with treading water and walking my dogs a short distance I now: Tread water 60-75min, use the treadmill and elliptical 60 min and then do training twice a week.
    Dont have to start with a huge amount of time.. just keep adding a little bit at a time.
    Just remember with your knee replacement that you don't want to do any running type exercise. Need those new parts to last a long time!
    Good luck!

url=http://www.myfitnesspal.com/weight-loss-ticker]4925355.png[/url]
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • botography
    botography Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I hate exercise. I cannot swim, petrified of water. I do not like to go treadmilling :smile: because it seems like I am doing nothing and wasting time when I could be mowing my lawn or cleaning my house (yes, that is exercise too). I cannot ride a bike, I fall off. Who ever said you never forget.:smile: My hubby gave me an anniversary present, a membership to a local gym and our basement is full of exercise equipment. He is i the poster child for exercise. THE BOTTOM LINE IS I HAVE TO BE ME. What I do not enjoy will never last.

I am a dancer, square, ballroom and do that four times a week plus. It does help. so for you who are like me, I suggest finding a hobby that moves fast. The rest I leave for others.
  • trud72
    trud72 Posts: 1,912 Member
    Options
    i used to hate exersice...:0
    but after "having to do it" for a while last year started walking a little way a few times a week and with my music got farther and farther and into daily, i love walking now and before you all say it i have a bad hip but try to walk through the pain! cant have a op on it till i loose weight! :(
    but really girls find one you like and you will......there will be no stopping you...
  • kymarai
    kymarai Posts: 3,631 Member
    Options
    Anything above and beyond your normal daily activity is exercise. I too, like a lot of people find little reason to walk on a treadmill or run around a gym. I would rather plant flowers, wash cars, wash windows (great squats!) Even parking further from the door helps. Just keep that in mind! Dance to the ipod, swim if you like to, weed the flower bed. There is so much activity besides the TV and this computer :) Good luck on your recovery!
  • stella77
    stella77 Posts: 282
    Options
    I only ever did brisk walks for exercise. (30 mins per day, not more) Can you walk outside with your knee?
  • Ladywindchaser
    Ladywindchaser Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Water is the way to go for anyone who hates to sweat, hates exercise and who has bad knees or hips. I do water zumba, water aerobics and water strength training. I have been doing water aerobics for over 20 yrs. It really burns a ton of calories fast if you put forth the effort. You will not feel like it is affecting you. But the resistenance in the water is twice what is on land. You just don't feel it.

Suggest you get a really good pair of water aerobic shoes. Check out: www.swimoutlet.com. They have the best prices and is where I get all my swim gear.

Also, remember that while in the water you should never feel pain. If you are doing something that hurts, stop.

My husband has two blown out knees from running 5 miles a day for over 20 yrs. Needs them both replaced. Water is the only exercise that he can do without real pain. Also, the only exercise the Dr's want him to.

Good luck and don't forget to enjoy it.