How much water do you drink? And is it easy to overdose on water?

Options
FatPixiee
FatPixiee Posts: 59 Member
I have been craving, I mean really craving water lately, all the time. Sometimes I'm drinking a couple bottles an hour during the day. I have read that the body can handle about a liter of water per hour and then one could get water intoxication. I'm wondering if I should ever slow down my water on those days I'm craving it constantly. Or does this probably just mean I'm sweating more? Also I wonder if I should force myself to drink even more. How much water do you all stop yourselves at if you ever do think you're drinking too much?

Replies

• IsaackGMOON
    IsaackGMOON Posts: 3,358 Member
    Options
    It's pretty hard to overdose on water, from what I've heard.

I usually drink 2L on rest days, anywhere up to 4L on workout days.
  • farfromthetree
    farfromthetree Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    I don't meant to sound dramatic, but I think you should probably mention this to your physician.
  • Tararenee3913
    Tararenee3913 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I drink about 10-12 cups a day. Once I drank over a gallon, I was just super thirsty, but I didn't eat much and had almost no sodium, and I worked outside and got very sweaty. I got extremely dizzy that day.

But usually it's no problem. I love water. It makes my skin pretty, and just makes me feel a lot better.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    I drink enough to make my urine fairly clear and keep me from being thirsty. I do not track how much.

To overdose on water you would likely need to drink a large amount in a short period of time.

Craving water can be a sign of diabetes. Though it's not ALWAYS a sign of diabetes. I have days where I feel thirsty all day for no apparent reason. But if you continually crave it you might want to see your doctor for a checkup.
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options
    OP IDK where you read your water intoxication stats from.
  • ManiacalLaugh
    ManiacalLaugh Posts: 1,048 Member
    Options
    FatPixiee wrote: »
    I have been craving, I mean really craving water lately, all the time. Sometimes I'm drinking a couple bottles an hour during the day. I have read that the body can handle about a liter of water per hour and then one could get water intoxication. I'm wondering if I should ever slow down my water on those days I'm craving it constantly. Or does this probably just mean I'm sweating more? Also I wonder if I should force myself to drink even more. How much water do you all stop yourselves at if you ever do think you're drinking too much?

I don't ever "force" myself to drink unless I absolutely know I haven't had enough (or some times I'll take a couple of big gulps before a workout). I think thirst is a good indicator for hydration needs.

BTW - what FarfromtheTree said is correct. If you're experiencing sudden uncontrollable thirst outside of the norm, this should be discussed with a doctor.
  • jrline
    jrline Posts: 2,353 Member
    Options
    I have had as much as 5 gallons in a day and did not overdose on water. I average 2-3 gallons a day
  • Kexessa
    Kexessa Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    I drink the equivalent of about 6-7 bottles of water a day. Which is about equivalent to 12-14 cups. I live in Florida and it's hot hot hot here. I've drank this much though for decades so this isn't unusual for me.

If you are experiencing a new 'thirst' or are chronically thirsty and drinking a ton of water out of the blue maybe get tested for diabetes? I think excessive thirst is a common symptom.
  • MFD7576
    MFD7576 Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    FatPixiee wrote: »

This could be a mental thing. Craving water is something your suppose to do but this craving is empty as nothing you don't do will effect you as long as you are taking in the recommended amount.

I would say see a doctor but if you really don't want to I can see why.

Think of what your eating, what new medications/vitamins you are taking (I remembering being on anti depressants/ anti anxiety meds/ even Nyquil and my thirst would spike), what you are doing different and then go back to normal and see if it still effects you.

The idea of drowing yourself is a very real thing so just try to cut back if you know you've had a lot, or do what I do, Sip it!
  • FatPixiee
    FatPixiee Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Well I'm seeing a new doctor in a few weeks and I am going to ask about some of this stuff since I am trying to lose so much weight. Hopefully she can help or refer me to a separate nutritionist. (I'm assuming nutritionists are considered medically necessary to most insurances. Mine is limited so idk.)
  • iheartinsanity
    iheartinsanity Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    Eventually, you'll get used to and your body will give you cues but as someone who drinks nearly 1.5 gallons daily I've never been worried about drinking too much. It's nearly 100 degrees where I live, so between being outdoors often and spending 1.5 hours in the gym 5x a week, I drink my large consumption of water is justified. Just make sure your water matches your activity level.
  • ValerieMartini2Olives
    ValerieMartini2Olives Posts: 3,041 Member
    Options
    It is almost impossible to overdose on water
  • MFD7576
    Options

Its very easy to overdose on water...
  • MFD7576
    Options
    MFD7576 wrote: »

Its very easy to overdose on water...

The mind is not on a 1 to 1 sync with your stomach. If you run a marathon or play a heavy sweat intense sport, all you crave is water. Chugging a gallon water in one motion will drown you. Your body will have to much to take in and not enough to let out. There has to be a yang for a ying
  • maggiemay530
    maggiemay530 Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    water toxicity is simply consuming too much water and thereby depleting your body of necessary electrolytes... when that happens confusion and even paranoia can set in / symptoms similar to schizophrenia, so yeah it's a very real thing...excessive thirst is one of the first symptoms of diabetes, plus certain meds you might be on can do it as well.
  • Laurenjenai
    Laurenjenai Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    jrline wrote: »
    I have had as much as 5 gallons in a day and did not overdose on water. I average 2-3 gallons a day

Wow that's alot. Starting today, I was aiming for a gallon a day but I'm having trouble with just that. I am at 3.5 pints. Almost halfway. Sometimes I really crave water and drink a whole lot without thinking twice but it has to be ice cold , and sometimes it seems like a chore. I had no idea you can overdose on water, good post OP.
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    Get checked for Diabetes.
  • Pearsquared
    Pearsquared Posts: 1,656 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    deksgrl wrote: »
    Get checked for Diabetes.

I was wondering about this. @FatPixiee Check your symptoms and go to a doctor. Better safe than sorry. http://www.diabetes.org/diabetes-basics/symptoms/
  • MFD7576
    Options
    Hey OP? What kind of water do you drink?