I signed up for a half marathon...

Hi-
I am looking to complete a half marathon in February 2016. I need to find a plan or have someone talk me through it. I have not run in a while, so I am essentially starting from scratch. I lift weights, bike, walk, and elliptical, but now I want to push myself a little bit more.
Does anyone have a good plan? A recommended book?
How should my eating change on this plan? I use an HRM, but what kind of nutrients do I need? Calories, etc.

Thanks in advance.

Replies

• atypicalsmith
    atypicalsmith Posts: 2,742 Member
    Is there a walking trail nearby which marks quarter miles? If so, start trying to run a quarter mile. Go as far as you can, then quit and walk Continue. When you can run a quarter mile, then start trying to run half a mile. Go as far as you can, then quit and walk. Continue. Do this every day. By February, it should be a breeze. Protein is your best source of calories, but certainly not your only source. Advice from someone who has never even run a 5k, so if you get better advice, please take it! I'm just giving advice on what I would do should I ever want to be in your situation :smile:
  • Pie319
    Pie319 Posts: 129 Member
    I haven't done one myself, but I have several friends who swear by Hal Higdon http://www.halhigdon.com/training/51130/Half-Marathon-Training-Guide
  • Leigh_b
    Leigh_b Posts: 548 Member
    For my first half marathon I used the training program at marathonrookie.com. It is a very straightforward plan and I felt well prepared for the race. Good Luck!
  • vinniesooner
    vinniesooner Posts: 119 Member
    Runkeeper has great (free) plans to use.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Pie319 wrote: »
    I haven't done one myself, but I have several friends who swear by Hal Higdon http://www.halhigdon.com/training/51130/Half-Marathon-Training-Guide

i've done the hal higdon plans for my halfs. they're great.
  • Asher_Ethan
    Asher_Ethan Posts: 2,430 Member
    Are you an avid runner right now? Start by running at least 3x a week (and try to have a long run once a week) and then 12 weeks out you can find a half marathon training schedule that will fit your needs. Pinterest has tons of them.
  • beagle1130
    beagle1130 Posts: 4 Member
    I've used Hal's schedules for many races, and they are excellent. He has plans for all distances and levels of ability, all free. Your diet probably doesn't need to change much aside from maybe slightly more carbs, particularly before long runs...but generally speaking, you don't need to "carb load" for a half or the training for one. Good luck!
  • SergeantNarwhal
    SergeantNarwhal Posts: 116 Member
    I did a training program through a running store near me and it was a blast. We only met once a week but they had great guidelines for runnings in between meetings. We'd do our long runs together. It was a great support system and a fun way to be social too. I highly suggest it! I ran a half marathon in two hours after about four months of training starting from no previous running experience.
  • runningagainstmyself
    runningagainstmyself Posts: 616 Member

I've heard amazing things about Higdon plans, too. Same with Jeff Galloway plans: http://www.jeffgalloway.com/training/half-marathon-training/
  • mkakids
    mkakids Posts: 1,913 Member
    I just signed up for my first half too. Outs end of November. Follow the c25k program then find a 20 week program to follow.
  • snikkins
    snikkins Posts: 1,282 Member
    Thirding the Hal Higdon recommendation. The Hubster and I have used his plans in the past for multiple distances and we really like them.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member

I'm training for my first "official" half- mine's in October- and my training starts this coming week. I got the program and went ahead and bought the app for it on google play because for 10 bucks it tracks and takes the guess work out of my calendar for me. So win win.

Solid programming and it's not overwhelming at all. Highly recommend giving it a look see.

• StaciMarie1974
    StaciMarie1974 Posts: 4,138 Member
    You have a lot of time to work with. Perhaps find a 5k for late September, and do a couch to 5k program. I think they're generally 10 weeks though you may not need to start at week 1.

Then you can either find a bridge program for 5k to 10k, or simply run 3 days a week where you do 3-5 miles (example only) Tue & Thur and have a long day on the weekends. Each week adding .5-1 miles to your long run.

You do want to fuel your runs. If you cut your calories too low your training will suffer. Its hard to know exactly how much to eat for exercise, but you can judge by how you feel.
    Hi-
    I am looking to complete a half marathon in February 2016. I need to find a plan or have someone talk me through it. I have not run in a while, so I am essentially starting from scratch. I lift weights, bike, walk, and elliptical, but now I want to push myself a little bit more.
    Does anyone have a good plan? A recommended book?
    How should my eating change on this plan? I use an HRM, but what kind of nutrients do I need? Calories, etc.

Thanks in advance.

• lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited July 2015
    Runkeeper has great (free) plans to use.

I've done the Hal Higdon plan in the past and have nothing bad to say about it, but I have been using the Runkeeper plans starting with my training for a half in August '14, and really like them.
  • MtnGirl38
    MtnGirl38 Posts: 37 Member

i've done the hal higdon plans for my halfs. they're great.

Agreed! I did my first half last August and followed a Higdon 12 week plan. I bought a Garmin GPS watch with the HR monitor and I love it. I also bought a fuel belt so that I could carry plain water with me. As far as fuel, you'll have to find out what works for you. I always ate the same oats/milk/fruit and had coffee about an hour before my long runs. On days I would be running longer than 90 minutes or so I would start eating Cliff Shot Blocks about 2 miles in. I also sometimes took the small Cliff bars and would nosh on those too. Not all fuel agrees with all runners so it will likely be trial and error. Oh and btw, I gained weight during training....I did increase my carb intake so I know that contributed but it's also easy to overestimate your calorie burns since it feels like you've worked so hard! Lol!
    Good Luck!!