Smoothies

Options
avrae06
avrae06 Posts: 19 Member
I'm not a big breakfast person so I just recently started making fruit/spinach smoothies in the morning.. Does anyone have any good recipes that you would recommend?

Replies

• Scott7609
    Scott7609 Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    How are the fruit spinach smoothies?
  • KETOGENICGURL
    KETOGENICGURL Posts: 687 Member
    Options
    I have two favorites--orangesicle and chocolate raspberry..I use unsweet almond milk..add 1/3 C berries (blue-rasp-straw), scoop PP, flavors like chocolate, orange, vanilla, plus ground flaxseed, and Stevia…I buy Warrior Force chocolate and vanilla protein powder…great quality-from hempseed not whey. I use spinach, or kale, or even romain lettuce as my veggie and it thickens up really great!
  • Scott7609
    Scott7609 Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    Those sound fantastic
  • happysquidmuffin
    happysquidmuffin Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    Spinach is for salads. Frozen bananas, peanut butter, chocolate protein powder, and almond milk are for smoothies. I can't wrap my taste buds around green smoothies, I just can't do it.
  • Soyviz
    Soyviz Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I have two recipes; one for a refreshing green smoothie and one a blogger called SpinachTiger simply refers to as the red drink:

KALE LIME AND COCONUT WATER SMOOTHIE
    1 peeled lime
    1 granny smith apple
    1 small cucumber
    Large handful of spinach leaves and kale leaves; maybe 2 cups total? I usually eyeball it
    1 tsp grated ginger
    Coconut water (I suspect it'd taste fine with regular H20 as well)

RED DRINK
    Raw red beets, cut into chunks (1 cup-ish)
    One apple
    1 cup strawberries, frozen
    1 navel orange
    1 lime peeled
    Pineapple chunks (1 cup?)
    Kale and spinach (small handful)
    Water and ice cubes
    (protein powder optional)

These are 2 recipes I am going to try this weekend. The first is from my local Pure Barre exercise studio. The second one was taken from an online video, so hard to be precise about the amounts. I tend to eyeball it. Hope you like them!
  • FitMomOK
    FitMomOK Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    i almost add baby spinach, a whole blenderful. i can't taste it.
    my faves: almond or soy milk, frozen banana (i buy lots then peel and freeze in ziplocs when they get brown spots- this is the secret ingredient for making itcreamy & sweet) , cocoa powder, spinach.
    another: tablespoon of oj concentrate, water, frozen fruit (blue or strawberries, mangoes or pinapple), spinach. can add a frozen banana for extra sweetness or creaminess.
  • FitMomOK
    FitMomOK Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    i meant 'i almost always' ...
  • Carrrrla
    Carrrrla Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I buy Deep Greens Power blend and toss a bunch in my smoothies I never taste it! My two faves-

1) canned pumpkin, frozen banana, dash of cinnamon, dash of allspice, and either milk or almond milk. All to taste, I don't measure! When you get it dialed in it's like pumpkin pie!

2) frozen banana, milk or almond milk, 1/2 tsp of peanut butter, tap of cocoa powder (chocolate peanut butter!)

I add greens to both and they are lovely.
  • avrae06
    Options
    Scott7609 wrote: »
    How are the fruit spinach smoothies?
    Really good! You can't taste the spinach AT ALL
  • avrae06
    Options
    Carrrrla wrote: »
    I buy Deep Greens Power blend and toss a bunch in my smoothies I never taste it! My two faves-

1) canned pumpkin, frozen banana, dash of cinnamon, dash of allspice, and either milk or almond milk. All to taste, I don't measure! When you get it dialed in it's like pumpkin pie!

2) frozen banana, milk or almond milk, 1/2 tsp of peanut butter, tap of cocoa powder (chocolate peanut butter!)

I add greens to both and they are lovely.
    I'm obsessed with pumpkin, why didn't I think of that?!! Thanks can't wait to try!!
  • avrae06
    Options
    Spinach is for salads. Frozen bananas, peanut butter, chocolate protein powder, and almond milk are for smoothies. I can't wrap my taste buds around green smoothies, I just can't do it.

Lol I promise you can't taste the spinach!
  • avrae06
    Options
    FitMomOK wrote: »
    i almost add baby spinach, a whole blenderful. i can't taste it.
    my faves: almond or soy milk, frozen banana (i buy lots then peel and freeze in ziplocs when they get brown spots- this is the secret ingredient for making itcreamy & sweet) , cocoa powder, spinach.
    another: tablespoon of oj concentrate, water, frozen fruit (blue or strawberries, mangoes or pinapple), spinach. can add a frozen banana for extra sweetness or creaminess.

Good idea with the banana! Thanks!
  • bmchenry02
    bmchenry02 Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    Just bought a blendtec can't wait to try some of these...especially the pumpkin. I might become an addict over the winter
  • Chezzie84
    Chezzie84 Posts: 873 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    The great thing about smoothie is that they are so versatile.
    Get creative, make up your own concoctions.
    I use 160g of frozen fruit (strawberries, blueberries, pineapples, raspberries, banana, cherries, grapes) 300ml liquid (water, apple juice, orange juice, cranberry juice) 50g low fat yogurt.
    I also add peanut butter, almonds, brazil nuts, honey, mint leaves, lemon curd, oats.
    The combination I choose on any given day is dependent on my mood.
  • OldHobo
    OldHobo Posts: 647 Member
    Options
    FitMomOK wrote: »
    ...add baby spinach, a whole blenderful. i can't taste it. ...
    Carrrrla wrote: »
    ... toss a bunch in my smoothies I never taste it! ...
    avrae06 wrote: »
    ... Really good! You can't taste the spinach AT ALL

Does this seem odd to anyone else?

Never been tempted to add greens to smoothies. Love them sautéed, raw in salads or simmered in hock broth though. Kind of seems wasteful to put 'em where you can't taste 'em.

Liked the pumpkin idea. Don't buy canned pumkin but will have some leftover butternut squash soon and will try that.

Never thought of beets. Usually have roasted beets in the ice box. They'd be sweeter and less of a strain on the old blender.

I like adding yogurt to smoothies. Its tang balances the sweet fruit.
  • Carrrrla
    Carrrrla Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Lol I still eat greens in other meals too...I find its a good way to sneak an extra serving in and I love a bright green smoothie because it makes me feel like I'm doing something good for myself...like a visual motivation I guess