What is up with the water retention????

StrongHeart
StrongHeart Posts: 293 Member
edited September 27 in Food and Nutrition
MAY 30, 2011 - I woke up this morning and me feet and ankles were STILL swollen - even after 3 days of staying under my sodium goal. :sad:

I don't understand!! Should I go to the doctor? I have in the past and he does not act concerned about the edema; he just says "Watch your sodium, drink more water, and get the weight off." I know his mantra by heart.

I do not feel bad, and I AM watching my sodium (at least for the past 3 days) so I do not understand why I still have so much swelling - I can hardly get my foot in my shoe. :sad:

My goal (just for today) is to drink only water; no Diet Rite Cola, no decaf coffee, no decaf tea, and no diluted juice - JUST WATER. Of course I will eat food; I am just talking about my liquids for today.

Now I am going to go elevate my legs and see if that helps.
Could use a few prayers that God will help me figure out how to make the edema go away.
Suggestions are welcome.

~StrongHeart

Replies

• slick_fox
    slick_fox Posts: 85 Member
    Please call your doctor. It is not normal for you to be unable to put your shoes on. Insist to your doctor this is not normal for you.
    Take care of yourself and health. Good luck.
  • nurse_carolyn
    nurse_carolyn Posts: 348
    Please call your doctor. It is not normal for you to be unable to put your shoes on. Insist to your doctor this is not normal for you.
    Take care of yourself and health. Good luck.

I agree
  • Solat37_Neil
    Solat37_Neil Posts: 379 Member
    Try drinking Green Tea and cranberry juice, these are natural diuretics and will help flush any excess water out of your system. Failing that, yeah see your GP, hope this helps!
  • srb1990
    srb1990 Posts: 37
    i agree...It could also be bad circulation...im 20 and i get swollen ankles and i go swimming to help the blood get around my body...it might help you

Hope it gets better x
  • Melissajojo3
    Melissajojo3 Posts: 100
    My feet used to get swollen from sitting down for a couple of hours since I wokred at a call center, my job was just sitting, I tried to stand up but very uncomfortable to stand and type fast with a customer in my ear. My feet were sooo swollen that if I put pressure on them including my ankles, you can literally see my finger prints. I told my dr about this issue and this can come from a lot of health problems, diabetes, over weight, high blood pressure, you most definitely want to go with a different Dr. try changing your Dr. and please do not avoid this issue. Ever since I started to walk and stayingactive, the swollen has gone down a whole lot... I try to stay active during the day.....
  • maria1993
    maria1993 Posts: 112
    Find another dr.. My mother is 37 and was dealing with this, it turned out she had blood clots. Her old doctor didn't diagnose the problem, even after dry gangrene set in. A new doctor found it and she had surgery, that was on Wednesday. it's amazing how quickly the swelling went down, and her foot is healing.
  • StrongHeart
    StrongHeart Posts: 293 Member
    MAY 30, 2011 - I woke up this morning and me feet and ankles were STILL swollen - even after 3 days of staying under my sodium goal. :sad:

I don't understand!! Should I go to the doctor? I have in the past and he does not act concerned about the edema; he just says "Watch your sodium, drink more water, and get the weight off." I know his mantra by heart.

I do not feel bad, and I AM watching my sodium (at least for the past 3 days) so I do not understand why I still have so much swelling - I can hardly get my foot in my shoe. :sad:

My goal (just for today) is to drink only water; no Diet Rite Cola, no decaf coffee, no decaf tea, and no diluted juice - JUST WATER. Of course I will eat food; I am just talking about my liquids for today.

Could use a few prayers that God will help me figure out how to make the edema go away.
    Suggestions are welcome.

~StrongHeart
    I have a complete physical yearly because of issues that run in my family.
    My report comes back "clean", except for high blood pressure (which is under control w/ meds), every year .

I have some support stockings but I don't use them as much as I should.

I am relatively sedative...don't get much movement/exercise in because my hip joints and knees hurt so bad after about 15 minutes that I am almost in tears. That is one of the reasons I am seriously trying to lose the weight this time.

I have heard green tea and lemon juice helps, so I will try that starting tomorrow (have to get some from the store).

I also used to eat a lot of processed food, but I stopped that 3 days ago now. :smile:

If I am still swollen badly in a couple days I will go see my sister's doctor for a second opinion.

THANKS for all the suggestions and advice. :flowerforyou:
  • Atlantique
    Atlantique Posts: 2,484 Member

Suggestions are welcome.

~StrongHeart
    I have a complete physical yearly because of issues that run in my family.
    My report comes back "clean", except for high blood pressure (which is under control w/ meds), every year .

I have some support stockings but I don't use them as much as I should.

I am relatively sedative...don't get much movement/exercise in because my hip joints and knees hurt so bad after about 15 minutes that I am almost in tears. That is one of the reasons I am seriously trying to lose the weight this time.

I have heard green tea and lemon juice helps, so I will try that starting tomorrow (have to get some from the store).

I also used to eat a lot of processed food, but I stopped that 3 days ago now. :smile:

If I am still swollen badly in a couple days I will go see my sister's doctor for a second opinion.

THANKS for all the suggestions and advice. :flowerforyou:

I'm sorry if this sounds harsh, but you are not only going to the doctor because there are 'family' health issues. You have some of your own health issues, and until you accept that and take responsibility for them, they will not be well-managed.

What medications are you taking? Is there any chance that you have either missed a dose or taken something twice?

This sort of edema can be a sign of congestive heart failure, so if you were my loved one, I would not allow you to wait a few days and see how it goes. I'd be taking you to the doctor or ER right now. In fact, you've ALREADY waited a few days and things have NOT improved.

Please at least call your doctor so that you can be sure you are safe. :flowerforyou:
This discussion has been closed.