Running Programs

Options
I'm trying to decide between the walk run walk Jeff Galloway Method vs the Hal Higdon Novice 2 Training plan. Training for my 1st full in January (Disney!!) and I have completed several half marathons without the walk breaks. Just wanted to see what opinions were out there and if anyone has used either method...my goal is to just finish and enjoy it.
Thanks!

Replies

• Turtle003
    Turtle003 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • omma_to_3
    omma_to_3 Posts: 3,265 Member
    Options
    I do my own version of run/walk. Jeff's program is great, but the number of breaks he recommends are too frequent for me. My best half was done at a 10 minute run, 1 minute walk pace. I personally am a big fan of walk breaks. I started it due to a hip injury. It was a way for me to continue running even though I was injured. And what I found was surprising. I was actually faster that way. So, I've continued it for the last 2 years. I vary the intervals, based on my conditioning level. I'm currently training for my 4th half, and doing 8 min/1 min. Trying to do a new PR this fall at that race.

As for a Disney race...you'll probably be stopping routinely anyway to take pictures so you might not need to plan walk breaks per se. We didn't stop to do the meet in greets, but we did stop periodically to take pictures of the scenery. We were about 15 minutes over my previous PR, but it felt pretty easy. Disney puts on a fantastic race!
  • wolfgate
    wolfgate Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    Given you have done several half running, I would suggest the Higdon plan. You likely have the base built up to do that one and I suspect you'll find running the whole way more satisfying given your history. It will prepare you just fine and isn't too hard during training.
  • beagle1130
    beagle1130 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Hal's programs have worked well for me. I find it harder to get moving again once I stop to walk, so I try to hold off until later on in the race, although that may not be best or true for everyone. Hal recommends walking through beverage/aid stations if you need walk breaks, so I employ that method when necessary. Good luck!
  • scottb81
    scottb81 Posts: 2,538 Member
    Options
    The Galloway run/walk method isn't necessarily slow. It's just a different way of covering the distance. I used it for a marathon once and ran a 3:50. I know of several others in my group, including one man over 60 who ran under 4 hours with it.

That said. I do think his training plans are kind of light on mileage. When I ran the 3:50 using the Galloway method I didn't really train by his plan but made up my own with a lot more training days.