Miracle Noodles

Options
2»

Replies

• dleithaus
    dleithaus Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Miracle Noodles are not always "shirataki" noodles. Be careful what you are buying.

Miracle Noodles are made out of a root called konjac root or what has been named glucomannan.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glucomannan
    By its very nature it is calorie free and a significant source of soluble fiber.

Classic shirataki noodles are made of the same thing konjac yam flour.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shirataki_noodles

The shirataki noodles in the grocery store can be tofu based. "Tofu shirataki" on the label.
    They have a significant amount of the konjac based glucomannan present, but are not calorie free due to the addition of soy (presumably tofu...).
    A standard serving would have 20-40 calories.

Having tried the Miracle Noodles, I find I like them. They are essentially taste free on their own, picking up whatever flavors you add to them. Different consistency than flour based pasta, but satisfying. I have used them as a sub for pasta with meat sauce and parmesan, and they do a good stand in for pasta. Can't say I am giving up "pasta" but when I want more control on the calories.... MN does the trick.

As for any odors, prepping exactly as directed with rinsing, short boil, and drying.... no odor at all detected.
  • csexton76
    csexton76 Posts: 10
    Options
    Wow these sound great! I am going to look for these in my area.
  • ColoradoRobin
    ColoradoRobin Posts: 510 Member
    Options
    I have tried the Miracle Noodle brand of shiritaki noodles, and I like them quite well in Asian dishes. I cook them in the sauce after thorough rinsing. I found the high fiber of these (they are nothing but soluble fiber) can cause gas, but Beano took care of that easily. I would like to try the tofu variety as well for comparison.
  • Nomoreplus_sizes
    Nomoreplus_sizes Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    There's a version of this type of noodle that's shaped like fettucine. I saw it at Nijiya ( a japanese grocery store in SF) yesterday. They don't take EBT though so I'm going to see if I can find them in another store first.