new to fitness pal and finding it hard work!

Options
Hi all. I've been using fitness pal for the last 4 weeks and am finding it really difficult to stick to my daily calorie quota. I try and do a bit of exercise most days. My problem is picking in the evening in front of the T.V. Any tip to help would be gratefully accepted! i've so far lost 2 pounds in 4 weeks but want to be loosing 1-2 pounds a week.

Replies

• Mairgheal
    Mairgheal Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    Why don't you change your settings to losing 1 lb a week, or even less? This will give you more daily calories which might make it easier to stick to. I understand that you want to lose quickly, but you want something that works for you long-term.

Another thing you can do is up your exercise, so you burn more - and therefore you can eat more.
  • Newkell
    Newkell Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    Maybe you should spend less time in front of the tv. Read some of the success stories on here. Go for a walk. Just a thought
  • dusk1977
    dusk1977 Posts: 295
    Options
    Hi there and welcome, snacking in the evening is one of my bad habits, I now either use an exercise bike or free step on the wii fit when watching tv in the evening, once I have finished the exercise I don't feel like snacking, good luck you can do it :smile:
  • therealangd
    therealangd Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options
    I'm a horrible night snacker. I've learned not to keep bad stuff in the house. I've replaced all my snacking stuff with healthy snacks.
  • Mommawarrior
    Mommawarrior Posts: 897 Member
    Options
    Maybe you should spend less time in front of the tv. Read some of the success stories on here. Go for a walk. Just a thought

That is what I would suggest. If sitting in front of the tv gives you the urge to eat....GET OUT FROM IN FRONT OF THE TV. Use that time to clean your house, go for a walk, do some weight training or biking...anything but sitting in front of the tv.

Good luck, you can do this because it is really all mental. You have to train yourself to live differently!
  • Rosie_66
    Rosie_66 Posts: 27
    Options
    It was hard for me at first too since I don't exercise a lot. I started reviewing my food log to see what high calorie offenders there were within each meal and I would cut down on those items or cut them out. It will get easier to cut down on the things you love in time - especially when you start to see pounds coming off. :)
  • Marylovell
    Marylovell Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    In the last year, (before coming to this site), I lost 18lbs by shrinking portions (but eating more often) and following a plan where I ate the "healthy" fats. I also walked for exercise religiously every day. This helped with appetite. I also agree with the other member who said to lower your weekly weight loss goal. I've managed not to GAIN weight in the last three months, despite going over daily calorie count. Walking seems to burn fat better than running, for some reason. Look at this as long-term, yes.
  • swaymyway
    swaymyway Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    Don't take food with you to the sofa - if I have a packet of biscuits in front of me I will eat them and the 'Oh just one more...' mentality takes over. If they aren't there, or I just go to the kitchen and get one that I have factored into my daily calorie allowance then it stays at 'just the one'.
  • Scentlessapprentice
    Scentlessapprentice Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    Invest in an exercise bike and get on that while you are watching the tv. It's what I do and I find that it works :)
  • kalelwifey
    kalelwifey Posts: 172
    Options
    I have this issue! You have to cut it cold turkey! lol get rid of the unhealthy snacks and get some healthy oness! if you keep getting to a point in the day where you have met your calorie goal but you are hungry then you might need to set your day so that you have a few calories left over so that you can afford to snack on those rice cakes or fruits...orrrr find a exercise that you can do in a low amount of time and burn some calories that you can eat in the evening...lol just some thoughts
  • kymarai
    kymarai Posts: 3,631 Member
    Options
    I had to set mine to losing .5 pound a week which gave me more to work with and I am losing that (and more sometimes). Try walking in place during commercials if you are watching the tube, helps keep your mind off all those food commercials!
  • hvnlysinger
    Options
    This "program" (I hate calling it that) is all about changing your lifestyle and habits. Like many others said, if the tv triggers snacking/overeating, DO SOMETHING ELSE. With that being said, you're not a bad person for rewarding yourself. However, you can't reward yourself every single day. I eat very healthy 6 days a week, and Sundays are usually my cheat day. I don't eat everything in sight, but I allow myself to eat foods that I wouldn't eat the rest of the week. And if during those six days of healthy eating you're craving an Oreo, EAT IT (JUST THE ONE)! You will make yourself crazy if you don't, and the chances of you cracking and eating one too many are higher.
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,239 Member
    Options
    If you only have 12 pounds (actually 10 pounds) to go, you should not set your goal loss per week any higher that 1 pound per week. If you have it set higher than that, reduce it. That will increase your calories for the day. I second the advice to get away from the place that tempts you to eat stuff by doing something other than watching TV, or getting a stationary bike and pedal that while you are watching TV.
  • mierla
    mierla Posts: 25
    Options
    My problem is picking in the evening in front of the T.V. Any tip to help would be gratefully accepted!

I plan all my food in the morning, or even the night before. If i know I'll be sat in front of the tv I'll have a smaller breakfast and lunch, bigger tea and allow lots of fruit and yoghurt to snack on at night! Works with a big meal too- went out for a curry one night so didnt eat much and went on a run ready to eat that night!!

My whole diary is around my love for snacking!!! I eat smaller meals so I can eat constantly.. have a look :)
  • kellyscomeback
    kellyscomeback Posts: 1,369 Member
    Options
    I ended up replacing my snacks with water. In 2 weeks I am now on the couch drinking water like fish and only eating at the table.