Doing squats on consecutive days

Options
My current workout routine involves doing squats every day of the routine (it's my own variation of strong lifts you could say). Would I be ok to do back to back days of lifting even though each day has squats?

Generally I am never too sore from the squats...

I am really just trying to fit 4 days of lifting into one week. Each day is a different full body workout.

Replies

• lemonsnowdrop
    lemonsnowdrop Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options
    It's recommended that you take rest days. Even though you don't feel sore, your body still needs some sort of break. I only do Stronglifts three days a week and do other, lighter weighted exercises on off days, just so I don't burn myself out. I'm still new to lifting so more knowledgable posters are out there, but I just don't think it would be a good idea to squat heavy every day.
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    There are programs out there where you squat every day, but if you are not an experienced lifter you should consider finding programming that fits your schedule better rather than squatting back to back days.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,583 Member
    Options
    Rest days are for a reason........recovery. No recovery means reduced efficiency for the muscle to perform well.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • rileyes
    rileyes Posts: 1,404 Member
    Options
    I do squat variations T-F with my workout plan. I think the key is to add weights or vary the squat when you stop feeling it. I do a mix of barbell or dumbbell as well as pistol and skater squats.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    Prolly not
  • whatatime2befit
    whatatime2befit Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    I can't do consecutive days, if I do too many together I can't get near my max weight or reps. I'd be worried about not giving your body recovery time.
  • rileyes
    rileyes Posts: 1,404 Member
    Options
    I agree that lifting consecutive days can wipe you out. I'm experimenting with compound lifts Tuesday and Thursday with accessory work. And circuit training and Strong Curves (lighter load) on Wednesday and Friday. I really look forward to Sat, Sun and Mon for fun/social sports and rest.

• SonyaCele
    SonyaCele Posts: 2,841 Member
    Options
    i do body weight squats every day just for mobility and active recovery. i only pack on the weight twice a week.
  • majigurl
    majigurl Posts: 660 Member
    Options
    When you build muscle you are tearing muscle. If you don't rest, they don't have time to "fix" and get stronger. If you are just doing a few, it's not a big deal, if you are doing enough to build muscle then take rest days. It's important for a reason.
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    If you're dead set on it, I'd definitely NOT follow a stronglifts type of routine. If you want to squat two consecutive days, definitely do not recommend going heavy on both. Do one heavy and one for speed, or volume, or even an alternative movement. Like, heavy back squats Monday, light front squats Tuesday.

Still wouldn't really recommend it but you'll have a lot better luck that way if you insist on doing it.
  • lauramillat
    lauramillat Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the input everyone. I'll stick to every other day as I have been doing!

Here's the routine in case anyone was curious...

Routine 1:
    TRX row (3x8)
    back squat (3x8)
    split squat (3x8)-back foot suspended
    leg lifts (3x10)-I wish I knew how to make these harder...

Routine 2:
    back squat (3x8)
    TRX push up (3x8)
    dead lift (3x8)
    pull up (3x8)-assisted with TRX bands

Routine 3:
    TRX side plank (3x8)
    back squat (3x8)
    one leg deadlift (3x8)
    overhead press (3x8)

Routine 4:
    back squat (3x8)
    weighted hip thrust (3x8)
    chin up (3x8)-assisted with TRX bands
    pistol squat (3x8)-I cant do a real one yet, working on a progression up to one
  • DavPul
    Options
    reasonle wrote: »
    Thanks for the input everyone. I'll stick to every other day as I have been doing!

Here's the routine in case anyone was curious...

Routine 1:
    TRX row (3x8)
    back squat (3x8)
    split squat (3x8)-back foot suspended
    leg lifts (3x10)-I wish I knew how to make these harder...

Routine 2:
    back squat (3x8)
    TRX push up (3x8)
    dead lift (3x8)
    pull up (3x8)-assisted with TRX bands

Routine 3:
    TRX side plank (3x8)
    back squat (3x8)
    one leg deadlift (3x8)
    overhead press (3x8)

Routine 4:
    back squat (3x8)
    weighted hip thrust (3x8)
    chin up (3x8)-assisted with TRX bands
    pistol squat (3x8)-I cant do a real one yet, working on a progression up to one

I guess it's possible to do this with lower weights but if I did this with my current weights it would be bye bye hip flexors for me
  • devil_in_a_blue_dress
    devil_in_a_blue_dress Posts: 5,214 Member
    Options
    How much weight are you squatting? Or I guess, are you trying to up your weights progressively?

My quads would literally hate me forever doing this routine.
  • devil_in_a_blue_dress
    devil_in_a_blue_dress Posts: 5,214 Member
    Options
    Also, how is your strength balanced across your body? I notice you aren't benching -- maybe there's a reason. I dunno.
  • 95savvy
    95savvy Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    i've heard of plateauing from working the same muscle group consecutive days. i work quads and glutes one day then hamis and glutes another day in the week. so ultimately i'm working them twice a week which works well for me. i guess if you were to keep doing legs everyday maybe have one or 2 days where you hit it HARD! then the rest maybe do like full body squats or dumbell squats with light weight. idk just a thought though! lol
  • DavPul
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Also, how is your strength balanced across your body? I notice you aren't benching -- maybe there's a reason. I dunno.

she's got both a pushup and an overhead press in there, so i'm fine with that aspect. i'm more curious to why she's sticking with the leg lifts when they aren't challenging enough and there's literally a thousand things she could sub in that spot.
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options
    DopeItUp wrote: »
    If you're dead set on it, I'd definitely NOT follow a stronglifts type of routine. If you want to squat two consecutive days, definitely do not recommend going heavy on both. Do one heavy and one for speed, or volume, or even an alternative movement. Like, heavy back squats Monday, light front squats Tuesday.

Still wouldn't really recommend it but you'll have a lot better luck that way if you insist on doing it.

This ^

• DavPul
    Options
  • slaite1
    slaite1 Posts: 1,307 Member
    Options