Gained 11 pounds in 3 days!

Options
Hello All!

So I went to the mountains on Friday, so of course I ate like crap and drank but still got quite a bit of exercise in from hiking. When I came back on Sunday I got on the scale and I am 11 pounds heavier than Friday morning, and still the same this morning. I'm assuming this is water weight. So if anyone has any pointers or tips on how to lose those 11 pounds that would be great. I would like to be have them gone by Friday, do you think that is a reasonable time frame?

Thanks!

Replies

• kmeekhof
    kmeekhof Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    Water.... lots and lots of water. Watch your sodium intake too.
  • HaleyAlli
    HaleyAlli Posts: 911 Member
    Options
    Are you sure your scale isn't broken?? That's an insane amount of weight to gain in 3 days...
  • tannaleigh
    tannaleigh Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    I fell of the wagon two weekends ago and gained 4 pounds. I just got back to the previous weight this am.
  • kentlass
    kentlass Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    sounds like water weight...i gained 9lbs in the same time frame a while back

track your sodium, keep it as low as you can healthily do, drink lots and keep up with the healthy eating and exercise....i dropped the 9lbs over about 3-4days so by friday is do-able
  • ashlinmarie
    ashlinmarie Posts: 1,263 Member
    Options
    Are you sure your scale isn't broken?? That's an insane amount of weight to gain in 3 days...

With water weight, you retain water based on high sodium intake as well as other factors. She would have had to eat over 38,000 calories to ACTUALLY gain that amount of weight in 3 days and that's not including calories.

Just get back on track and exercise and it should drop off within a week or two.
  • EmicaL
    EmicaL Posts: 31
    Options
    Drinking lots of water! It will flush out water you might be retaining. Also, changing to higher altitude will make you retain more water.
  • MommyofBoys
    MommyofBoys Posts: 75
    Options

That's what I thought too, so I tried a different scale and still the same thing. I was thinking maybe a 5-7 pounds gain of water weight but definately not 11.
  • sarahsmall
    sarahsmall Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I had this happen before. I was in another weight loss group. I had a bad week with eating and exercise & weighed in 8lbs heavier. Granted, it was that time of the month but 8 lbs! Yikes!! Anyways, I just did the usual weightloss routine (eating around 1600cals a day, exercise, & lots of water) and I lost 8.25 the following week. I think with just getting right back on track and drinking lots of water, it will come off in no time. Good luck!!!!
  • Mandz1984
    Mandz1984 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I agree that sounds like a lot for 3 days! I went to a wedding a couple months ago, was away in a hotel for the whole weekend, ate and drank way too much and only put on 3 pounds! And as you said you hiked a lot...so 11 seems crazy. Go back to your normal dieting and drinking the water and I'd say most of it will be gone very quickly!
  • MommyofBoys
    Options
    Drinking lots of water! It will flush out water you might be retaining. Also, changing to higher altitude will make you retain more water.

I was wondering if the change in altitude would affect my body like that. Thanks!
  • FairyMiss
    FairyMiss Posts: 1,812 Member
    Options
    i would think a lot of water, eating diffrently might have got your body chemistry slightly confused. it will probably come back off pretty fast once you settle in to your norm
  • dawniewest
    dawniewest Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    pop a good B complex. Actually B6 is great for shedding bloat but the B complex will give you energy too!
  • rnroadrunner
    rnroadrunner Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    in order to have gained that much weight you would need to have eaten38,500 calories ok? So we know this is probably water. maybe 1 lb is from pigging out lol. one liter of water is 2.2 lbs or 1 kg. so we are looking at about 5 liters of water. are you legs and hands swollen? was your sodium (salt) intake very high. remember water follows sodium. by drinking lots of water 10-12 glasses a day you should start to shed the extra fluid. also exercise can cause you muscles to hold on to some water. say a liter or two. If you don't lose this by friday or you become short of breath you need to go see your doctor. I don't know your fage or medical hx. good luck. friend me if you want.:drinker:
  • peacehawk
    peacehawk Posts: 421 Member
    Options
    Try drinking water (yes, water) with lots of fresh lemon squeezed in (1/4 to 1/2 lemon per glass of water). Stay fairly close to a bathroom, because lemon is a diuretic and you will be running there a lot.

Also, parsley and ginger are good cleansers.

I sometimes make an amazing lemon lime ade with ginger. The flavor combination is yummy and it cleans me out. (Even kids love it.) Just add the ingredients into your blender (i use a vita mix, so i can add the seeds, pulp, pith and all) : lime, lemon, water in equal amounts, about 1 inch of fresh, peeled ginger root, and plenty of ice. blend thouroughly, then add some agave nectar to the sweetness you like (or, you can use real sugar if you want, but i'd stay away from fake sweeteners.) It tastes best if you drink it right away. I tried saving some for the nest day once, and it was a little bitter. I think that since I use even the bitter parts, that might be why. If you juice the fruit first, you probably wouldn't have to worry about next day bitterness.
  • MommyofBoys
    Options
    in order to have gained that much weight you would need to have eaten38,500 calories ok? So we know this is probably water. maybe 1 lb is from pigging out lol. one liter of water is 2.2 lbs or 1 kg. so we are looking at about 5 liters of water. are you legs and hands swollen? was your sodium (salt) intake very high. remember water follows sodium. by drinking lots of water 10-12 glasses a day you should start to shed the extra fluid. also exercise can cause you muscles to hold on to some water. say a liter or two. If you don't lose this by friday or you become short of breath you need to go see your doctor. I don't know your fage or medical hx. good luck. friend me if you want.:drinker:

My hands and feet are extremely swollen!
  • skylar1907
    skylar1907 Posts: 156
    Options
    FIRST - GO SEE YOUR DOCTOR. Gaining that amount of weight in 3 days is a warning sign for all types of bigger issues.

Second - drink lots of water to flush out the toxins you released doing all that hiking.

Third - back to healthy foods & exercise.

If it is water weight, 2 will deal with it. If you did gain 3 will help - my guess is its a combination of both those two.

But seriously, see your doctor.
  • myheartinsf1
    Options
    That happens to me quit often sometimes with my cycle other is prob from a big excersise day. I usually sip green tea with extra lemon and when I eat I try to take in extra fluid to by doing lots of fruit n veggies. Asparagus cherries celery tea or coffee and parsly all Are good for retaining water.