SODIUM

Options
:happy: So ive been reading a lot of the posts on here and many people are referencing sodium to water retention (if ive understood correctly that is!!)

Can you please give me some examples of the types of foods/drinks that contain higher levels of sodium so I can avoid them?!!!

Oh and whats a safe amount?

Thanks in advance!!

Replies

• ChantalGG
    ChantalGG Posts: 2,404 Member
    Options
    Any food that has been processed, ei. pre-made frozen.. If you can making from scratch at home you can control your sodium intake.
  • jeff261159
    jeff261159 Posts: 385
    Options
    Reference Values for Nutrition Labeling
    (Based on a 2000 Calorie Intake; for Adults and Children 4 or More Years of Age)

Nutrient Unit of Measure Daily Values
    Total Fat grams (g) 65
    Saturated fatty acids grams (g) 20
    Cholesterol milligrams (mg) 300
    Sodium milligrams (mg) 2400
    Potassium milligrams (mg) 3500
    Total carbohydrate grams (g) 300
    Fiber grams (g) 25
    Protein grams (g) 50

Nutrient Unit of Measure Daily Values
    Vitamin A International Unit (IU) 5000
    Vitamin C milligrams (mg) 60
    Calcium milligrams (mg) 1000
    Iron milligrams (mg) 18
    Vitamin D International Unit (IU) 400
    Vitamin E International Unit (IU) 30
    Vitamin K micrograms (µg) 80
    Thiamin milligrams (mg) 1.5
    Riboflavin milligrams (mg) 1.7
    Niacin milligrams (mg) 20
    Vitamin B6 milligrams (mg) 2.0
    Folate micrograms (µg) 400
    Vitamin B12 micrograms (µg) 6.0
    Biotin micrograms (µg) 300
    Pantothenic acid milligrams (mg) 10
    Phosphorus milligrams (mg) 1000
    Iodine micrograms (µg) 150
    Magnesium milligrams (mg) 400
    Zinc milligrams (mg) 15
    Selenium micrograms (µg) 70
    Copper milligrams (mg) 2.0
    Manganese milligrams (mg) 2.0
    Chromium micrograms (µg) 120
    Molybdenum micrograms (µg) 75
    Chloride milligrams (mg) 3400
  • miss_melissa_
    Options
    I am in no way an expert but from my experience frozen/fast foods have a lot of sodium. There is also a great deal of sodium in seafood. My doctor has told me to keep my sodium under 1700 mg a day. It was hard at first but now I am use to it. I try to only eat frozen food once a day. The fresher it is, the better.
  • kittyloo123
    kittyloo123 Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    i think for me, i am allowed 2400mg. sodium per day. I actually don't go anywhere near that. Mostly, because i eat most things fresh, steamed, ect. not much seasoning.
    As last poster said, anything processed, canned, frozen, i would check the sodium content. Sauces, soy, pickles, condiments. Start reading labels. you will be suprised.
    When you log out for the day, with your food choices, your sodium will be listed.
  • TTHdred
    TTHdred Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    I have high blood pressure so I can less sodium/salt that most people, and even before I started trying to lose weight I have had to track my sodium. You will be surprised how many foods have A LOT of sodium in them. While it can cause water retention which affects the scale, take it from me the health implications of too much sodium are much much worse.

Sodium is natural in lot of foods, so it’s not totally bad. But is often it is in food additives used to help with preservation and that’s where it gets tricky. With so many things having sodium it’s hard to list things but there are some general rules that may be helpful.

Anything you eat out at a restaurant will be loaded with sodium (salt makes everything taste good). Also anything in can. Sodium is used to help preserved processed food, so I tend to buy fresh or frozen corn before corn in a can. If you are not that serious but will like to be cautious, just think fresh over premade and you should be ok. No can soups (or other things in that isle), box rice, microwave lunches and especially those rice bowls ones.

My doc says healthy adult can safely have about 2,300 milligrams of sodium per day. I changed my settings in MFP to be 1700, that recommended for me. It is typically tough to stay that low, but at least I get a little red notice when I’m over so I am aware!

Hope that helps.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    The biggest shock for me was the amount in jars of marinara sauce. So instead, I use pureed tomatoes and add garlic, basil, oregano, etc. for more flavor.

Some cheeses are really high, too. And anything "just add water" processed foods like Rice A Roni or Hamburger Helper.
  • betterlife2011
    Options
    Hey does anyone know the levels of sodium and fat a diabetic can have
  • rnroadrunner
    rnroadrunner Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    Hey does anyone know the levels of sodium and fat a diabetic can have

about the same as a non diabetic. it is carbohydrates you have to control. good luck

high sodium foods Soups , cold cuts, chips the list goes on someone smart said read the labels. good advice for all of us :drinker: