I'm on the fence Whey Protein Powder Good or Bad?

Options
been using whey protein for a week and not sure if it's going to help or it's a waste of money?

Replies

• tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,446 Member
    Options
    Just have a ham sandwich instead
  • shor0814
    shor0814 Posts: 559 Member
    Options
    It is a supplement and does nothing magical but provide proteins and BCAA's or whatever other supplements that are added. If you can get your protein macros from traditional food then it isn't completely necessary.

That said I like them as a nice after workout drink and a quick fix for hunger and I don't always meet my macros from traditional food. A casein based protein shake is a handy drink to have before bed if you are the type that tends to get up and eat in the middle of the night.
  • SignpostPsycho
    SignpostPsycho Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    It depends on what your diet looks like. I use it pretty often because I don't eat a lot of meat - usually just dinner. If you feel like you need the filler, go for it. If not, don't bother. We get a giant tub from Target/Walmart for like 18 and it lasts us about a month. It's not that bad.
    By the way, body fortress vanilla is awful.
  • honkytonks85
    honkytonks85 Posts: 669 Member
    Options
    If you're having trouble reaching your protein macros then yeah, whey protein can help. It's not inherently bad or good in the context of a well balanced diet. You can get protein from meat / legumes etc. though
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    jonpat21 wrote: »
    been using whey protein for a week and not sure if it's going to help or it's a waste of money?

Help with what, exactly?
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    tomatoey wrote: »

I'm sorry, is the OP hungry or is he looking for gainz?
  • Mycophilia
    Mycophilia Posts: 1,225 Member
    Options
    Helps my wallet. Cheapest source of protein I could find.
  • prideofthelion
    prideofthelion Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Helps with recovery and minimising DOMS...well I find it does
  • babydull
    babydull Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    Depends on your diet and work-out.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    It's protein. It helps to reach a protein goal while keeping calories low.
    Protein is useful ...

What are your expectations, other than that?
  • tomatoey
    Options
    DavPul wrote: »

64 g Artisan ham = 23 g protein, 0 g carb @ 105 cals
    40 g Rudolph's multigrain bread = 4 g protein, 18 g carb, 2 g fiber @ 110 cals
    mustard (not bothering to look right now)

- ideal post-workout protonz / carb ratio for 215 cals, add moar ham if moar gainz desired
    - filling
    - tasty
    - cheap
    - does not require mixing implements on the go
    - does not generate undesirable outputs in most people
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options

- ideal post-workout protonz / carb ratio for 215 cals, add moar ham if moar gainz desired
    - filling
    - tasty
    - cheap

If you are trying to significantly increase your daily protein consumption - cured meats are NOT the best daily choice.

Or even a better cost option.
  • tomatoey
    edited July 2015
    Options

- filling
    - tasty
    - cheap

If you are trying to significantly increase your daily protein consumption - cured meats are NOT the best daily choice.

Caps and underlining, even, all right.

Sure, there are other ways to do it with real food. I happen to like ham sandwiches, that was my suggestion. Did you not sleep well or something?
  • CazDeLaz
    CazDeLaz Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I like to add it to morning smoothies because I'm not a big eater in the morning. Or into homemade ice cream/waffles/baked goods. It depends what you're using it for. Of you get enough protein from your regular food you don't NEED it, but its an option to help if you crave sweets&treats like me.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options

- filling
    - tasty
    - cheap

Sure, there are other ways to do it with real food. I happen to like ham sandwiches, that was my suggestion. Did you not sleep well or something?

What does sleep have to do with being correct? If you're a larger person like myself with a big protein number to hit and limited calories because of cutting, protein powder is cheaper, more efficient, more practical, and simpler than all food consumption. I've already had the ham sandwich but I still have 200g of protein to go.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options

- filling
    - tasty
    - cheap

So because you can't provide an argument against what he said, you come back with not so subtle insults and nitpicking at how he writes something? I see.
  • dewd2
    dewd2 Posts: 2,445 Member
    Options
    While not technically "whey" protein powder (so maybe not what the OP wants to know), I like to have a Myoplex ready made shake after my Saturday long runs. I can throw one in my cooler and drink it as I drive home (I run with a group and we change locations every week). Also, it saves me from forcing food after my long runs (something my stomach does not like for a couple hours).
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    jonpat21 wrote: »

For me, it's worth it. It helps me reach my minimum protein a lot easier, especially if the food that day isn't exactly leaning towards a more protein heavy diet.

It's convenient, fast, and because of the fact it keeps for awhile - it makes it a worthwhile expense.
  • greg88rosen
    greg88rosen Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Protein should never replace foods but Instead add to what you currently take in daily

In regards to muscle growth a protein shake immediately after exercise will aid in recovery acting as a sort of stitching for the micro tears in the muscle obtained while working out

For weight gain, a shake between meals is typically ideal
    Keep the protein intake to about 25 grams per serving and drink lots of water
  • tomatoey
    Options
    If you're a larger person like myself with a big protein number to hit and limited calories because of cutting, protein powder is cheaper, more efficient, more practical, and simpler than all food consumption. I've already had the ham sandwich but I still have 200g of protein to go.

Not sure OP is in that situation, and it's unclear whether he wants to cut or gain or what - if he does want to increase mass, the more calories, the better - but yeah, it makes total sense in your case. As for cost, the palatable protein powder I've tried is more expensive than the ham sandwich or whatever food I'd be eating anyway. Personally, actual food holds me over for longer, while protein shakes go right through you, at least in my experience. If OTOH managing hunger is less important than feeding muscles quickly - although I understand timing only really matters for elites / pros - the shake is better.

Different strokes for different folks *shrug*