Weight Maintenance While On Vacation

Options
Hey everybody! :) I will be going on my first vacation in about a week and I am really concerned about gaining weight. I will be going to the Caribbean for two and a half weeks and I don't want to gain a lot of weight (1-2 pounds is forgivable). Does anybody have tips on how to keep the weight off while still enjoying my vacation.

Replies

• Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Be conscientious, use moderation, go and have an AWESOME time!
  • Marilyn0924
    Marilyn0924 Posts: 797 Member
    Options
    Enjoy your vacay!! Eat sensibly as possible and walk the beach. A lot!!!
  • BumbleBreeBuzz
    BumbleBreeBuzz Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Honestly on my vacation i walked so much i didn't have to really worry about what I ate. I also only got about 1 good meal a day because i stayed so busy
  • klubstyle
    klubstyle Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Eat protein when ur drinking! It will help make the carbs not as bad :)
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    enjoy your vacation.

stop making this harder than it is.

go. eat. have fun.

you can lose whatever you may gain when you come home.

i gained 1.5 pounds on my vacation. lost it within a week of being home. no biggie.
  • 257_Lag
    257_Lag Posts: 1,249 Member
    Options
    Vacations are special! Enjoy it! Realistically you can't do much damage in 10 days in the grand scope.

Lets suppose you eat 2000 EXTRA calories per day which is actually pretty hard to do.

2000x10 = 20,000 /3500 = 5.71 pounds and that's pretty much a worst case scenario.
  • ohgeeque
    ohgeeque Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    It is a vacation, the one time a year when the phase "Don't worry, be happy" is totally and completely reasonable.

The absolute, ABSOLUTE, ABSOLUTE worst case is you gain a little weight but in the long run isn't that better than missing an opportunity that may never come again?

Have a great time!
  • newblue95
    newblue95 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Walk a lot and swim a lot! The Caribbean has amazing snorkeling and diving too. Keep busy and don't stress about it too much. Have fun!
  • 11bh2015
    11bh2015 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Just returned from a two week vacation (Tel Aviv, Athens and Island of Corfu). Had a wonderful time and actually lost 2 pounds. Airport and air plane food are areas to plan around. I always have nuts, dried or fresh fruit or in my carry on when traveling. Also buy a bottle of water as soon as you pass security. Getting dehydrated can make you feel like eating the junk offered when it is really thirst that is the issue.
  • Bshmerlie
    Bshmerlie Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    You're on vacation so I don't think you necessarily be on your diet but I don't think it should be thought of as a free pass to eat whatever you want. Isn't that the mindset that got us overweight in the first place? Look at it as a time to practice maintenance or what life will be like after your diet. Stick to reasonable portions at each meal and make healthy food choices. Without bringing your scale and counting calories try to eat the amount of food that you think won't make you gain. Try and be more active by doing a lot more walking or do 30 min at the resort's gym. Practice that lifestyle you're gonna need to not gain it all back.