Sleep

Options
KateSimpson17
KateSimpson17 Posts: 282 Member
edited July 2015 in Health and Weight Loss
Sorry for creating so many posts tonight, but this is probably the most important. I have always suffered from bad insomnia as a symptom of an anxiety disorder. Living alone has not helped that (I basically have to watch tv until I fall asleep so I don't psych myself out and get super paranoid). So what are your best tips and tricks for falling asleep fast?

Oh and I take a valerian root and camomile supplement. And the reason I posted it in diet and weightloss is because when I'm up so late I get hungry again sometimes.

Replies

• belimawr
    belimawr Posts: 1,155 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    I have the same problem.

One thing I have read, and have found is true for myself, is that chamomile may not help. It's a mild diuretic and may make things worse. Valerian I find is hit or miss for me. Some days it works, some days it does not. Same for melatonin. My nutritionist had recommended 5-HTP I had some decent success with at first, but over time its effects wore off.

One thing that I have some success with (again not every time - but more often than the aforementioned supplements), is focusing on my breathing. Counting each breath, saying to myself "in, out", or whatever. As long as it's distracting my mind from the other stuff going on. Avoid the TV, the light may activate your brain, but I find a radio helps. It doesn't matter what you listen to. Sometimes I do sports talk, other times music. Whatever grabs my attention and keeps it to calm my mind.

Hopefully this helps somewhat. Dealing with anxiety and sleep has no easy answers, unfortunately. As stubborn as I am and thinking I'm tough enough, I'm starting to consider external help after years of insomnia... the effects of sleep deprivation aren't worth it.
  • KateSimpson17
    Options
    belimawr wrote: »
    I have the same problem.

One thing I have read, and have found is true for myself, is that chamomile may not help. It's a mild diuretic and may make things worse. Valerian I find is hit or miss for me. Some days it works, some days it does not. Same for melatonin. My nutritionist had recommended 5-HTP I had some decent success with at first, but over time its effects wore off.

One thing that I have some success with (again not every time - but more often than the aforementioned supplements), is focusing on my breathing. Counting each breath, saying to myself "in, out", or whatever. As long as it's distracting my mind from the other stuff going on. Avoid the TV, the light may activate your brain, but I find a radio helps. It doesn't matter what you listen to. Sometimes I do sports talk, other times music. Whatever grabs my attention and keeps it to calm my mind.

Hopefully this helps somewhat. Dealing with anxiety and sleep has no easy answers, unfortunately.

The thing I like about the tv is that I can set it to sleep so it goes off eventually, when I listen to the radio I wake up later and get really frustrated because there's noise... silly, I know... half-asleep me is really femaledoggy.
  • belimawr
    belimawr Posts: 1,155 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    kateyb94 wrote: »
    The thing I like about the tv is that I can set it to sleep so it goes off eventually, when I listen to the radio I wake up later and get really frustrated because there's noise... silly, I know... half-asleep me is really femaledoggy.

If it works for you, then keep it. The only reason I mention it as a lot of research I've done stated the light from the TV (as well as other electronics) keeps you from sleeping. Yes, even an alarm clock. I covered mine so the light is blocked.

Basically, you want your bedroom as dark as a cave.
  • KateSimpson17
    Options
    belimawr wrote: »

If it works for you, then keep it. The only reason I mention it as a lot of research I've done stated the light from the TV (as well as other electronics) keeps you from sleeping. Yes, even an alarm clock. I covered mine so the light is blocked.

Basically, you want your bedroom as dark as a cave.

I know! I'm terrible. When I lived at home/with other people I couldn't handle any light, so far this is the only thing I've been able to use though... I'd love to find a way around it because the light does bug me and it still takes me way longer than it should to fall asleep.
  • purpleposies
    purpleposies Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I've used Unisom to help me sleep before. There are a number of new sleep aids like Z-Quil and Emergen-Zz. Maybe mix them up so you're not using one of them too much, if you're worried about that. I saw another posted mention Melatonin, that might help, too.

I also have anxiety and am lucky that I have a benzo I can take to help me sleep. When I've not had insurance or medication, I've also taken Benedryl to help knock me out. Same concept as the Unisom (which is an antihistamine, technically, marketed as a sleep aid).

Good luck with the sleep. I, too, used to leave my TV on a sleep timer to fall asleep to it, but so that it would go off after I'd fallen asleep to not affect my sleep too poorly.

Also, consider establishing a routine. Set yourself a bed time. 30-60 minutes before your bedtime consider drinking Sleepytime tea or something (if that works for you). Take a warm/hot shower or bath, and then read up until your bed time/lights out. I have read that using computers or your phone in bed, or too close to bedtime, can decrease the amount of natural melatonin your body creates so that you actually have more difficulty falling asleep. Creating the routine, using your bed only for sleeping, might help your body and mind realize, "Oh, it's time for sleep now," and possibly help you in falling asleep and keeping the anxiety at bay because it's just what you do.
  • tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,446 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Sleep hygiene is really the most important thing, and also imo the most difficult to maintain consistently. Pick a deadline for getting ready for bed and winding down. It's ok to scale it back slowly if you're really off right now, working backwards towards your target time over a few weeks. I would aim for a time about 1 hour before you want to sleep.

Winding down = almost all lights off, ideally computer and TV off, too. It's ok to read or watch something kind of boring if that helps you out, imo.

Bedroom should be cool and dark. Bed should be comfortable. If after half an hour or so, you're still tossing and turning, go to another room to prevent deepening your association between your bed and restlessness. Do something boring and then go back to bed when you're tired.

Light therapy is very effective. As soon as you can, ideally within 30 minutes of waking, get outside for a walk. The sunlight sends cues to your brain through your retinas that say "hey i'm up". ( or sit with a light box for a while. )

You can also try to time your workouts and meals to support sleep. It's different for everyone, will just take experimenting. I find working out in the late afternoon or early evening is best for me. Eating breakfast in the morning can also act as a cue for wakefulness, because your digestive system etc. gets going.

If chronic insomnia is a problem, it can be really hard to be good about all this consistently. I find that just one or two nights can trip me off the whole thing, never mind travel. But it's good to do your best.

For supplements, I like valerian root and L-Theanine (Suntheanine brand is the one that's been used in studies, which is good, because it's standardized. That's what I use when I think of it. Otherwise, supplements aren't regulated [including valerian root], so buyer beware.)

If anxious thoughts are keeping you up, write them down in a log. Should tire you out a bit, too.
  • tomatoey
    edited July 2015
    Options
    For me, the best thing is really to tire myself out, physically, as much as possible during the day. (I never slept as well as the week I worked on a farm.)

The worst thing I've done is tried to stay up over 24-36 (even 48, once) hours to try to "reset" my clock. That can happen, but it doesn't always settle where you want it to, in fact it can make things a lot worse.
  • blankiefinder
    blankiefinder Posts: 3,599 Member
    Options
    Sorry for creating so many posts tonight, but this is probably the most important. I have always suffered from bad insomnia as a symptom of an anxiety disorder. Living alone has not helped that (I basically have to watch tv until I fall asleep so I don't psych myself out and get super paranoid). So what are your best tips and tricks for falling asleep fast?

Oh and I take a valerian root and camomile supplement. And the reason I posted it in diet and weightloss is because when I'm up so late I get hungry again sometimes.

I have issues with this too, though I don't live alone. Last night was pretty bad, I stayed up until 4 AM.

I take a melatonin / 5HTP / L-theanine supplement on my way to bed that helps me fall asleep, and I find that I feel calmer the next day as well. Though if it's a bad night, nothing helps.
  • KateSimpson17
    Options
    I've been told that doing other things, like watching tv, doing work, etc. in your bedroom can also make it harder to sleep... I live in a studio, so I don't really have any other choice.
    A lot of the problem (which has to do with anxiety) is that I can't turn my brain off at night. I think about ridiculous things, I end up getting myself worked up or frustrated. The reason having tv is somewhat helpful to me is because it makes me focus on what's happening there rather than things happening in my head that really don't need my attention.
    Another part of the problem might be that my schedule is so hectic. I work two jobs and some days I have to get up at 5, some days at 7, some days at 9, some days it doesn't matter. I used to try to go to bed at the same time every night, but going to bed at 9 every night just wasn't sustainable for me, but neither is going to bed at 2am!
  • KateSimpson17
    Options
    tomatoey wrote: »
    For me, the best thing is really to tire myself out, physically, as much as possible during the day. (I never slept as well as the week I worked on a farm.)

The worst thing I've done is tried to stay up over 24-36 (even 48, once) hours to try to "reset" my clock. That can happen, but it doesn't always settle where you want it to, in fact it can make things a lot worse.

The best I sleep is when my boyfriend is in town, insomnia is always the worst right after he leaves.

Sleeping alone sucks.
  • blankiefinder
    blankiefinder Posts: 3,599 Member
    Options
    Oh, and my daughter has a sleep hypnosis thing on her iPhone that she listens to when she is stressed out and can't sleep. She takes after me :( I've only listened to part of it, but it did seem to have some helpful strategies. I can get the name from her tomorrow if you're interested. It's midnight here and she has morning practice, not waking her up :D
  • purpleposies
    purpleposies Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I've been told that doing other things, like watching tv, doing work, etc. in your bedroom can also make it harder to sleep... I live in a studio, so I don't really have any other choice.
    A lot of the problem (which has to do with anxiety) is that I can't turn my brain off at night. I think about ridiculous things, I end up getting myself worked up or frustrated. The reason having tv is somewhat helpful to me is because it makes me focus on what's happening there rather than things happening in my head that really don't need my attention.
    Another part of the problem might be that my schedule is so hectic. I work two jobs and some days I have to get up at 5, some days at 7, some days at 9, some days it doesn't matter. I used to try to go to bed at the same time every night, but going to bed at 9 every night just wasn't sustainable for me, but neither is going to bed at 2am!

Might be a good idea then to establish a bedtime routine so that no matter what time you're going to bed, it will help to start sending those messages from habit that, "Hey brain/body, it's time to go to sleep now."
  • KateSimpson17
    Options
    Oh, and my daughter has a sleep hypnosis thing on her iPhone that she listens to when she is stressed out and can't sleep. She takes after me :( I've only listened to part of it, but it did seem to have some helpful strategies. I can get the name from her tomorrow if you're interested. It's midnight here and she has morning practice, not waking her up :D

I'll have to look into these. My mom uses them too sometimes... unfortunately I have a "dumb phone" right now :(
  • tomatoey
    Options

The best I sleep is when my boyfriend is in town, insomnia is always the worst right after he leaves.

Sleeping alone sucks.

It sounds like you need to find ways to soothe yourself in his absence. It'd be worth trying some of the relaxation techniques people have suggested, I get why you like the TV, too.

That log / diary thing can be really effective, too, for catching runaway thoughts.
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Options
    Been there done that for decades, blegh!

Reading usually puts me to sleep pretty quickly.

I've also found that getting several minutes of lots of very bright sunlight (or similar artificial light) after waking up helps make it easier to get to sleep at the end of the day. As well as getting rid of any light sources (including TV) in the evening that can screw up your body clock.

I found this book very helpful.
    http://www.amazon.com/Chronotherapy-Resetting-Inner-Alertness-Quality/dp/1583334726/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1437199211&sr=8-1&keywords=chronotherapy
  • KateSimpson17
    Options

I've also found that getting several minutes of lots of very bright sunlight (or similar artificial light) after waking up helps make it easier to get to sleep at the end of the day. As well as getting rid of any light sources (including TV) in the evening that can screw up your body clock.

http://www.amazon.com/Chronotherapy-Resetting-Inner-Alertness-Quality/dp/1583334726/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1437199211&sr=8-1&keywords=chronotherapy

Whenever people suggest reading I have to laugh at myself because I get really into whatever I read... when I was in 1st grade I stayed up till 11 (my bedtime was 8) reading The Wizard of Oz and got in HUGE trouble... things haven't changed much with my reading habits.
  • tomatoey
    edited July 2015
    Options

I'm on board with chronotherapy - have read studies but need to read that. thanks

Ha. Is everyone in their jammies yet??

(didn't think so. i'm going now)
  • KateSimpson17
    Options

Sleeping alone sucks.

It sounds like you need to find ways to soothe yourself in his absence. It'd be worth trying some of the relaxation techniques people have suggested, I get why you like the TV, too.

That log / diary thing can be really effective, too, for catching runaway thoughts.

I do logs a lot when I have panic attacks, they are really helpful
  • KateSimpson17
    Options

I'm on board with chronotherapy - have read studies but need to read that. thanks

Ha. Is everyone in their jammies yet??

(didn't think so. i'm going now)

I'll be honest... today was one of those days that I was in my jammies all day :P