Weight gain AFTER labor!!!!! HEEELLLPPP

Options
minster311
minster311 Posts: 3 Member
edited July 2015 in Health and Weight Loss
I kept my weight down during the pregnancy with nausea and the pregnancy diet. It lasted for 2 months and after that I've been gaining weight soooo quickly!!! Help! I need a plan. I lack motivation for myself because I'm with my son 24/7 making sure all his needs are met including all the house work and responsibilities. I get little sleep and feel like I'm stretched thin.

HEEEELLLLLLP!!!!

Replies

• Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    1) your hormones are screwed up ...give them a few months to settle
    2) your stress levels are probably high too

It's the same advice for everyone though

Weigh your food and count your calories
    Eat to a calorie defecit
    Move more
  • Sued0nim
    Options
    How old is your son

Babies and toddlers sleep

No child needs 24/7 care unless they have severe disabilities. Every child sleeps. You should sleep when they do

Sounds like you're in a stress cycle. Stop. Ask for help. Get some sleep and replenish your batteries.
  • minster311
    Options
    Thanks rabbitjb!
    I know no child needs 24/7 care. My son is gaining some independence at 8mo, he's healthy and right on track. My biggest challenge is dealing with the insomnia, believe me if I could sleep I WOULD!! I'm listening to my husband snore as I'm writing this and im getting frustrated. I need a goal and a plan but how do you try make a goal and plan with ZERO motivation and exhaustion. Trying the "One moment at a time, one day at a time" method....
  • catt952
    catt952 Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    rabbitjb does the cico method still work for people under stress or hormonal imbalance? will there be any significant differences
  • Sued0nim
    Options
    CI<CO works for everyone as an overriding equation of weight loss

hormonal imbalance, medical conditions, stress, lack of sleep can impinge on the CO side so much that it becomes all but impossible to get a decent nutritional balance from what you're left with on CI

BUT ...this special snowflake status is not an excuse or a reason to not try to lose weight...99% of the time failure to lose weight is down to not logging properly

And ..hormonal imbalance / thyroid issues can be treated to correct CO

For overall health it's best to get adequate sleep and find ways to manage stress levels

(People misdiagnose stress a lot too)

Reads over post...yup clear as mud ...sorry
  • Sued0nim
    edited July 2015
    Options
    minster311 wrote: »
    Thanks rabbitjb!
    I know no child needs 24/7 care. My son is gaining some independence at 8mo, he's healthy and right on track. My biggest challenge is dealing with the insomnia, believe me if I could sleep I WOULD!! I'm listening to my husband snore as I'm writing this and im getting frustrated. I need a goal and a plan but how do you try make a goal and plan with ZERO motivation and exhaustion. Trying the "One moment at a time, one day at a time" method....

So you have an 8 month old

How much time do you get to yourself...when is the last time you went for a walk alone, or out with friends, or did something just for you

In the morning ..tell husband to look after his son and get your backside out on your own for a few hours....do something you love ...call a friend, go to the cinema, for a swim, a coffee shop

Time to reclaim a little bit of yourself ..and be kind to you
  • oh_happy_day
    oh_happy_day Posts: 1,138 Member
    Options
    Be gentle with yourself. You grew a person! He can be your motivation too - happy and healthy Mamma, is a happy baby!

Let go of the housework a bit - take a walk with your son, do some gentle yoga. Focus on nutrients - nourish your body. Some exercise and eating well will help you feel less fatigued. Even if you have to drag yourself initially, it will help. Ask your husband to do more around the house and/or get up to baby more at night. Ask him to prep some healthy lunches and snacks for you to have during the day. Find a gym with a crèche, make friends with other mums who are interested in going for walks, find some 15-20 minute workouts on YouTube that you can do while he naps etc. You can do this!
  • losingitinBC
    losingitinBC Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    are you breastfeeding? some women lose weight with breastfeeding and others kind of stall or gain some weight.
    I have 4 kids and what I found was the Best for me was going for long walks with baby in stroller.super good stress reducer,my kids loved it,and the fresh air and hour + daily walk helped me sleep better and get fit.
  • Krystle1984
    Krystle1984 Posts: 146 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Walking is the best thing I can suggest. When I'm feeling frazzled it helps no end and should improve your sleep issues too.

Other than that I have a hypnosis CD for when my insomnia is really bad. I've never been a good sleeper (it's falling asleep I have trouble with, once I'm asleep I generally sleep fine) but that always sends me off.

Just relax a bit, be patient and you'll get there! :)

Once your less stressed focus on your diet - it really is just all down to counting calories.
  • losingitinBC
    losingitinBC Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    also....if you are very tired,sleep problems etc you may want to get a checkup.get your iron levels tested and your thyroid levels tested.some women develop thyroid issues after birth so...if you feel sluggish make sure there isnt a reason for it physically.
  • Sued0nim
    Options
    are you breastfeeding? some women lose weight with breastfeeding and others kind of stall or gain some weight.
    I have 4 kids and what I found was the Best for me was going for long walks with baby in stroller.super good stress reducer,my kids loved it,and the fresh air and hour + daily walk helped me sleep better and get fit.

That's great advice too
  • minster311
    Options
    All great ideas. Thank you for your support ladies. I'll call my gyno in the morning. I just bought thus hot new stroller and look forward to taking it out!

Time with ME, yes please!!!! Will do

Rabbitjb. I re-read my post making sure I didn't misrepresent any information. I dont know where you got miscarriage from, but thanks for the advice.
  • Sued0nim
    edited July 2015
    Options
    minster311 wrote: »
    All great ideas. Thank you for your support ladies. I'll call my gyno in the morning. I just bought thus hot new stroller and look forward to taking it out!

Time with ME, yes please!!!! Will do

Rabbitjb. I re-read my post making sure I didn't misrepresent any information. I dont know where you got miscarriage from, but thanks for the advice.

Gosh so did I, and neither do I. I think I conflated two separate conversations... Sorry ..will edit :blush:
  • jessicah83
    jessicah83 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hi! I have an 8 month old too! And two other boys. I've had to make changes since he's been born (and still not sleeping through the night :( )I workout when he naps and it has to be his first nap. Otherwise, I'll do it when my hubby gets home. I use baby's second nap as some down time. And I clean on the weekends. Just find a schedule that works for you and don't feel like you need to stay busy when baby is sleeping. It's exhausting catering to someone's every whim.

You also need to make sure you're getting out of the house, getting some fresh air, having adult interaction. Having this third baby has been completely overwhelming for me, but getting some exercise in does help some.
  • healthygreek
    healthygreek Posts: 2,137 Member
    Options
    All this advice is wonderful!
    Id just like to add-watch your caffeine intake in all forms!!!
    Drink only 1 cup in the morning and no other foods or drinks with caffeine!!!! You may be in a cycle of caffeine to wake up and stay awake. If true just stop and you will see your sleep improving.
    If not-you may have some ppd or something in which case, please see your doc!
    Good luck and congrats!