struggling

Options
I'm trying to gain weight but feel I'm really struggling, for past 5 years I've basically been living off eating one meal a day. I've now been been pushing myself to eat 3 meals a day with snacks in between but in doing this I'm finding that I'm really struggling with eating dinner in the evening. Does anyone have any tips that will make it slightly easier and feel less like I'm fighting a loosng battle please ?

Thanks

Replies

• Faithful_Chosen
    Faithful_Chosen Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    Why have you switched to three meals a day and snacks? There is nothing wrong with it, but it sounds like you enjoyed just that one meal...?
  • AsISmile
    AsISmile Posts: 1,004 Member
    Options
    So I've had to gain weight in the past, which I found really difficult due to lack of appetite. This is my advice on that.
    AsISmile wrote: »
    I've been there, it sucks. Also the always feeling full.
    My list of tips:
    1) eat nutrient dense food (see sticky in nutrition section)
    2) drink your calories (proteine shake, milk, soda, doesn't matter)
    3) full fat everything. (So full fat milk, real butter, full yoghurt. Fills about the same for extra calories)
    4) eat at regular times, your body will now come to expect it, creating the hunger feeling. Increasing portion size is easier when hungry.
    5) take it real slow. Your body will gently adjust with you.

Also, here on the forum one of the most repeated things is eating spoons of peanut butter. Very calorie rich.

I lost about 18 lbs in 6 months and became underweight, it took me about two years to gain it all back. It is a slow process, but you must slowly teach your body to adjust to large portion sizes.

Also, there is nothing wrong with eating "unhealthy" foods like chips, ice cream, etc to reach those calories.

But imo 1&2 are most important.

So basically, if you just started and 3 meals plus two snacks is too much, drop one. If you are constantly feeling full you won't be able to eat enough calories in your other meals. Just try to make every bite count.
  • Patttience
    Patttience Posts: 975 Member
    Options
    Drop the snacks.
  • RonRoff
    RonRoff Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    When gaining weight, its just as important to workout, as it is when you are trying to lose it. you probably don't want excess fat, but a better posture. For that you have to workout :smile:
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    Patttience wrote: »
    Drop the snacks.

why would OP drop the snacks other than personal discomfort. Odds are OP needs to figure out how to eat some higher calorie foods- probably can do the 1 meal a day- and 1 larger one earlier- or just fill the day with snacks.

There is no right way to space your food out- most people find the volume of food to be so much it's easier to spread it out through the day and snacks- but if the OP is struggling with that- it's certainly easier to push to one big meal and keep some snacks through the day- that's not a big deal.