Help with sugar intake.

Options

Replies

• meulf6f
    meulf6f Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I, for one, am a sugar-holic. Fruit is a bad idea in my diet. I can't eat fruit at 6am and not be hungry by 8am. The people chanting CICO don't have anything to say for satiety. I prefer to eat foods that help me keep from thinking about food all day. But that's just me I guess. If you want to count all sugars. Do it. Sounds like a great Plan to me.
    Veggies are where I load up on nutrients. Low glycemic veggies.
  • kgb6days
    kgb6days Posts: 880 Member
    Options
    i dont have a medical condition, but anything i have read recently points to sugar and not fat being a problem with weight issues. I am in the UK and the latest advice is to half the previous advice of equivalent 14 teaspoons to 7.

I agree with this issue completely. There are a lot of hidden sugars in processed foods so I mostly stay away from any of them. No I don't have a medical condition YET from all the added sugars, but I believe I WILL at some point if I don't get control of it. My understanding is you are mostly looking at ADDED sugars, not the natural sugars that come in fruits. Good luck with this. You are going to get a lot of flack about this but don't let up. It's gonna be so much better for you.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Added sugars shouldn't make up more than 5% of the energy (calorie intake) you get from food and drink each day. This is about 30g of sugar a day for those aged 11 and over.

I just found this on the NHS website, so I am thinking that the sugar in fruit doesnt count as it refers to "added sugar" ?
    You are correct. :smiley:

• yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    i dont have a medical condition, but anything i have read recently points to sugar and not fat being a problem with weight issues. I am in the UK and the latest advice is to half the previous advice of equivalent 14 teaspoons to 7.

That's what a report said, it a) hasn't been accepted and implemented and b) is for "free sugars" not the total sugars that MFP records.

So the sugars inherent in vegetables will appear on your MFP log but weren't in the "5% of calories population goal" of the SACN committee.
  • sojerj
    sojerj Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Having done it myself for 18 months now I would support you wholeheartedly in giving up added sugars and limiting fruit intake.I do count my fruit sugars but have an apple a day or some blueberries or strawberries. In my own personal experience it has worked.I have lost weight,decreased food cravings,reduced cholesterol level( well within normal limitsfor the first time in 20 years),healthier skin,increased memory and concentration....My only sugar intake is thru fruit and veges as i dont eat processed foods.I dont go hungry and fill on healthy fresh foods.I did gain weight at one stage as I was eating WAY too many nuts!!I have reintroduced good fats like nuts,avocado,coconut oil etc.You are probably wondering how giving up sugar would affect cholesterol level.I was so suprised with this.Despite being a fish eating vegetarian and not consuming dairy I still had a high cholesterol level which dr suggested was genetic . I stuck to a low fat diet which maintained my weight but had no effect on my cholesterol diet,Within a few months of quitting all added suagr and reducing fruit sugar intake my cholesterol level dropped well within normal limits.There is some suggestion that sugar causes inflammation and cholesterol accumulates there for repair anyway I am not sure how it worked but its the first thing in 20 years that has!!SO I do believe sugar is bad for you and have felt the positive benefits of giving it up!!There are so many blogs and websites that have recipes etc and you would find you would be very well supported in those.Wish you all the best whatever you decide to do.
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    RonRoff wrote: »
    Dont agree with part 2 of Faithful, as you can read in my previous message, fruit sugars count.

Point is, though, that fruit sugars are wrapped up in this thing called 'fruit', which are little nutrient bombs.

Broccoli with added sugar would be more nutritious and contain less sugar than an orange, fruit is massively overrated really.

Fruit is a sugar solution soaked into fibre.

• earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Don't overthink this. First, change your diary to track fiber instead of sugar since getting enough of that is more important. Second, choose to make the majority of your daily foods meals made from whole, fresh (or frozen) foods instead of commercial mixes, boxed (or frozen) dinners, fast food, or other convenience foods. You will do just fine that way.

I am T2Dm and I don't track sugars (per my doctor's recommendation). I did have to reduce my total carbs to less than 180 g a day. I eat like I suggested to you and, for the fun of it, I just checked my MFP report for sugars and my total sugars are averaging around 50 g. daily over the last 90 days. MFP doesn't separate added sugars from naturally occurring ones but I know from my foods that the vast majority of my sugars come naturally in fruit, dairy, and veggies. Most of my added sugars come from buying commercially made bread and Quest protein bars since I very rarely eat commercially prepared foods (except some canned things like tomatoes, broth or soup base,etc)

ETA: sugar does NOT give you diabetes. You get it because you have one or more of the risk factors:
    • genetics
    • obesity
    • long term use of certain medications (especially antidepressants and statins)
    • stress
    • potentially environmental factors ( correlation only so far)

In my case, being obese and long term use of antidepressants, combined with age, put me over the line.
  • KateKyi
    KateKyi Posts: 106 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    What is interesting in this discussion is the advice from the USA people is sugar does not cause diabetes and the advice from the UK people is saying it does. Maybe its the difference on Doctors advice in the 2 countries. Who knows which set of Doctors are right. The UK has targeted sugar in a big way in the last few years as the target to be combat against the rising obese/diabetic population.
  • earlnabby
    edited July 2015
    Options
    KateKyi wrote: »
    What is interesting in this discussion is the advice from the USA people is sugar does not cause diabetes and the advice from the UK people is saying it does. Maybe its the difference on Doctors advice in the 2 countries. Who knows which set of Doctors are right. The UK has targeted sugar in a big way in the last few years as the target to be combat against the rising obese/diabetic population.

It is not the doctors, it is the scientists who study diabetes who are saying that sugar is not the cause, and never has been. Health officials on both sides of the Atlantic are saying that we need to cut sugar consumption in order to reduce obesity and the health risks that accompany it. Obesity is the #2 most common risk factor in diabetes (after genetics) but it is not the sugar consumed, it is the excess fat that puts you at risk.

Unfortunately, because diabetes is a disease of the endocrine system that causes a person to not process carbohydrates and the glucose they put into the bloodstream properly, most people put 2 and 2 together but only came up with 3. Not handling sugar properly is the symptom, not the cause. Scientists don't know what actually trips the switch. Obesity is on the rise, as is diabetes. BUT diabetes is on the rise at a slower rate than obesity is so gaining fat, and the diet that causes you to gain fat, isn't the ultimate trigger.

ETA: I lived through the 80's "eating fat will make you fat" deal and this whole "sugar is the cause of all our ills" is the same thing. In about 20 years it will probably be some amino acid in protein that will make us fat. We are fat because our diets are not balanced, we are eating larger portions, and we are not moving as much as we used to 100 years ago.

• meulf6f
    meulf6f Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    There is scientific research enough to prove all viewpoints on healthy diet and weight loss. Pick a strategy (book, blog, whatever) and go for it. Oh, I forgot to mention the golden words... in my opinion.
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options
    Sugar is bad for you because it has no nutritional value and
    1 Is bad for your teeth
    2 is bad for your liver causing fatty liver disease
    3 causes insulin intolerance and ultimately Diabetes
    But please do go right a head and eat it if you want these.
    My weight loss issue is my health issue and Id rather not go down the route of illness just because I ate fewer calories without looking at what I was eating too.

1 Brush your teeth.
    2 It doesn't cause fatty liver disease.
    3 it also doesn't cause diabetes.
  • stevencloser
    Options

Let's look at the statistics.
    People in the UK consume about 8 kg more sugar per year than in the US.
    http://www.helgilibrary.com/indicators/index/sugar-consumption-per-capita/

35% of people in the US are obese vs. 25% in the UK
    http://www.oecd.org/health/Obesity-Update-2014.pdf

9.3% of US people have diabetes vs. 6.25% (1 in 16 in the source) in the UK.
    http://www.diabetes.org/diabetes-basics/statistics/?referrer=https://www.google.de/
    https://www.diabetes.org.uk/Documents/Position statements/Facts and stats June 2015.pdf

So even though the UK consumes an appreciable amount of sugar MORE than the US, they have less obesity and diabetes.

Also the UK diabetes association does NOT say taht sugar causes diabetes.
    https://www.diabetes.org.uk/Guide-to-diabetes/What-is-diabetes/Know-your-risk-of-Type-2-diabetes/Diabetes-risk-factors/
  • elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options
    1 Is bad for your teeth
    My weight loss issue is my health issue and Id rather not go down the route of illness just because I ate fewer calories without looking at what I was eating too.

No. Sugar does not cause diabetes.
  • sallymason88
    sallymason88 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Dont agree with part 2 of Faithful, as you can read in my previous message, fruit sugars count.

Point is, though, that fruit sugars are wrapped up in this thing called 'fruit', which are little nutrient bombs.If you binge on a gazillion apples, you will go over your calorie goal and gain weight, but because there are a bunch of macro (and micro) nutrients in fruits, you won't really overindulge on those--not easily anyway. If you find yourself going over your sugar goal, turn your gaze to the added sugars, not the fruit sugars. They are not your problem.

That clears things up for me. I understand about not going over the calorie in v calorie out, I also understand that the body treats all sugar the same, but within the calorie count I wanted to stick to the 27 grammes per day, so I will count the hidden sugar, but if it is contained within an apple for example I wont count that. Thanks for taking the time to reply everyone.

• Faithful_Chosen
    Faithful_Chosen Posts: 401 Member
    Options

Point is, though, that fruit sugars are wrapped up in this thing called 'fruit', which are little nutrient bombs.If you binge on a gazillion apples, you will go over your calorie goal and gain weight, but because there are a bunch of macro (and micro) nutrients in fruits, you won't really overindulge on those--not easily anyway. If you find yourself going over your sugar goal, turn your gaze to the added sugars, not the fruit sugars. They are not your problem.

That clears things up for me. I understand about not going over the calorie in v calorie out, I also understand that the body treats all sugar the same, but within the calorie count I wanted to stick to the 27 grammes per day, so I will count the hidden sugar, but if it is contained within an apple for example I wont count that. Thanks for taking the time to reply everyone.

If you do want to track and limit sugar, that is how I would do it, too ^_^ I also don't count dairy, by the way, but that's an entirely personal preference!
    You are very welcome :smile:
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options

You will also get non-added (or intrinsic) sugar in lots of other things, like dairy, vegetables, corn, sweet potatoes, plantains. Sometimes it can be hard to sort out--like there's usually some added sugar in a pasta sauce, but the majority of sugar is going to be from the tomatoes and other vegetables. (I compared my homemade sauce with no added sugar to a commercial brand and there were similar grams of sugar.) Same with yogurt if you get the kind with some added sugar--the majority of the sugar is still likely lactose and perhaps some from added fruit.

It's easy to avoid this confusion (if you care) by making your own pasta sauce and buying plain yogurt and adding fruit (this is what I normally do, although not because of sugar but because I prefer the taste), but if you listen to some of the media you can get paranoid about supposed "hidden sugar" which is really mostly intrinsic sugar.

I personally think a more sensible approach is just to look at your overall diet and see if you are mostly getting sugar from nutrient dense foods or if you are getting a high percentage of sugar--and also calories, many of which may be from fat instead of sugar--from low nutrient items (like sweet treats). If you read the reasons for the sugar limits recommended by the WHO, the NHS, and the AHA, they talk about calories and making sure you have a nutrient dense diet, which those of us monitoring our diets with MFP can see without focusing on specific sugar amounts.
  • sallymason88
    sallymason88 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    That is all really helpful. Thank you.
  • umayster
    umayster Posts: 651 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    elphie754 wrote: »
    1 Is bad for your teeth

You are right, but it is established that high glycemic index carbohydrate (which includes sugars) increases the risk of developing diabetes.

Decreasing high glycemic index carbohydrate (which includes sugars) can reverse 'pre diabetes' and it can return high blood sugar levels to normal in both diabetics and pre diabetics.

Long term High blood sugar levels damages many different parts of the body.

You can only help yourself if you focus on a diet filled with good fats and proteins if you have any diabetic risks.

Carbohydrates are NOT an essential macrnutrient. It is totally OK to focus on eating fat and protein.

I say this as someone who loves carbs/sugars, but as a member of a family with history of diabetes it helps me to minimize the risk by building the nutritional foundation on fats & proteins and relegating carbs to a minimal role in dietary lifestyle.
  • earlnabby
    Options
    umayster wrote: »
    elphie754 wrote: »
    1 Is bad for your teeth

You are right, but it is established that high carbohydrate (which includes sugars) increases the risk of developing diabetes.

Decreasing carbohydrate (which includes sugars) can reverse 'pre diabetes' and it can return high blood sugar levels to normal in both diabetics and pre diabetics.

Long term High blood sugar levels damages many different parts of the body.

You can only help yourself if you focus on a diet filled with good fats and proteins if you have any diabetic risks.

Carbohydrates are NOT an essential macrnutrient. It is totally OK to focus on eating fat and protein.

I say this as someone who loves carbs/sugars, but as a member of a family with history of diabetes it helps me to minimize the risk by building the nutritional foundation on fats & proteins and relegating carbs to a minimal role in dietary lifestyle.

No, this is wrong. Eating carbs does not cause diabetes. The extra fat from eating too many carbs (or too many calories from anything) is a risk factor. Again, people are looking at the treatment (reducing carbs) and the symptom (the body's lack of properly managing carbs) and coming to the wrong conclusion.

Good for you to get ahead of the game and start managing blood sugar issues before they manifest, especially because you have the most common risk factor (genetics).

• stevencloser
    Options
    Carbohydrates do not increase risk of diabetes either.

https://www.diabetes.org.uk/Guide-to-diabetes/What-is-diabetes/Know-your-risk-of-Type-2-diabetes/Diabetes-risk-factors/
    http://www.diabetes.org/diabetes-basics/myths/

Only people drinking lots of sugar sweetened beverages in particular have been loosely linked to diabetes. Which means it's only correlation between the two. It's not one of the risk factors listed. It is not asked in their online "Calculate your risk" forms.