Fallen off the wagon? Binge Eating? Do a Brown rice detox

Options
Freddi_O
Freddi_O Posts: 40 Member
Hi Guys,

I had fallen off the clean eating wagon a couple of weeks back and maintained my exercise routine but the scale stalled and I really started seeing water weight gains (carbs, fat and sodium) and no progress... I ended up trying a 3 day brown rice detox/cleanse and it worked a treat to fix my cravings for french fries lol... Just thought I'd share in case someone else was stuck too! Good luck

Replies

• Annie_01
    Annie_01 Posts: 3,096 Member
    Options
    What do you do with the brown rice?
  • dufus12
    dufus12 Posts: 393 Member
    Options
    Yup, I was thinking the same thing!! Freddi, that is like letting us climb on the horse but not letting us ride!! Is it really eat nothing but brown rice for 3 days????
  • crazyjerseygirl
    crazyjerseygirl Posts: 1,252 Member
    Options
    My guess is you bathe in it. Cause it's not like you'd treat carb cravings by eating tons of carbs right?

Also, I'm assuming you have functioning kidneys and liver. You "detoxed" yourself if nothing but poop
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    I think you must smoke it. Because that's a heck of a lot of carbs, otherwise. <nods>
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,089 Member
    Options
    I think you must smoke it. Because that's a heck of a lot of carbs, otherwise. <nods>

Yeah prolly... Seems legit.
  • Annie_01
    Options
    Okay people...I got this figured out...

http://www.stylecraze.com/articles/amazing-benefits-of-brown-rice-for-skin-hair-and-health/

Brown Rice Benefits for Skin:

Brown rice works to give you healthy, beautiful skin. How? Read on to find out!

1. For Blemish Free Skin:

The rich content of fiber and other essential minerals in brown rice work well to offer you a firm and blemish-free skin. Brown rice is packed with antioxidants, vitamins and magnesium, which protect the skin from blemishes and acne breakouts. The insulin produced by the use of white rice triggers production of sebum on the skin. Excess sebum on the skin can cause acne breakouts. Brown rice effectively prevents this problem.

2. Stalls Premature Aging:

Packed with proteins, brown rice repairs damaged skin. Fluctuating bood sugar levels can lead to stress, which is one of the major causes of aging. Complex carbohydrates present in the brown rice can aid in regulating the blood sugar levels, preventing premature aging. Rice bran is also said to be highly effective when applied topically, in preventing wrinkles.

3. Maintains Skin’s Elasticity And Youth:

The selenium present in brown rice helps to maintain skin elasticity and reduce skin inflammation. Brown rice can also be used to prepare a face mask. To make this face mask, first grind brown rice till they are very fine. Mix 1 tbsp of plain yoghurt with ½ tbsp of ground rice. Apply this mixture to face. Rinse it with warm water after leaving it for about 10 minutes.
    Brown Rice Benefits for Hair:

Brown rice is good for maintaining healthy hair. It contains Vitamin B1, Vitamin B3, VitaminB6, Vitamin E, folacin, potassium and lots of fiber—all of which are needed for healthy hair.

4. Heals Damaged Hair:

All these minerals and nutrients are required by the hair to grow healthily. Brown rice can be applied, along with other ingredients, to treat damaged hair. Mix ground rice with egg white and add a cup of water to it. Whisk this mixture to make it a little frothy. Apply this mixture to the hair. Rinse off after about 10 minutes. It will help clean the hair and remove dirt and excess oil.

So it seems as if we rub the brown rice all over our bodies. I am so relieved! I thought I was going to have to eat it. Too many calories and while I will eat rice...it is not a favorite of mine...rather have PASTA.

I wonder if the detox would work if I rubbed pasta all over my body???
  • mangrothian
    mangrothian Posts: 1,351 Member
    Options
    Annie_01 wrote: »
    Okay people...I got this figured out...

http://www.stylecraze.com/articles/amazing-benefits-of-brown-rice-for-skin-hair-and-health/

Brown Rice Benefits for Skin:

Brown rice works to give you healthy, beautiful skin. How? Read on to find out!

1. For Blemish Free Skin:

The rich content of fiber and other essential minerals in brown rice work well to offer you a firm and blemish-free skin. Brown rice is packed with antioxidants, vitamins and magnesium, which protect the skin from blemishes and acne breakouts. The insulin produced by the use of white rice triggers production of sebum on the skin. Excess sebum on the skin can cause acne breakouts. Brown rice effectively prevents this problem.

2. Stalls Premature Aging:

Packed with proteins, brown rice repairs damaged skin. Fluctuating bood sugar levels can lead to stress, which is one of the major causes of aging. Complex carbohydrates present in the brown rice can aid in regulating the blood sugar levels, preventing premature aging. Rice bran is also said to be highly effective when applied topically, in preventing wrinkles.

3. Maintains Skin’s Elasticity And Youth:

The selenium present in brown rice helps to maintain skin elasticity and reduce skin inflammation. Brown rice can also be used to prepare a face mask. To make this face mask, first grind brown rice till they are very fine. Mix 1 tbsp of plain yoghurt with ½ tbsp of ground rice. Apply this mixture to face. Rinse it with warm water after leaving it for about 10 minutes.
    Brown Rice Benefits for Hair:

Brown rice is good for maintaining healthy hair. It contains Vitamin B1, Vitamin B3, VitaminB6, Vitamin E, folacin, potassium and lots of fiber—all of which are needed for healthy hair.

4. Heals Damaged Hair:

All these minerals and nutrients are required by the hair to grow healthily. Brown rice can be applied, along with other ingredients, to treat damaged hair. Mix ground rice with egg white and add a cup of water to it. Whisk this mixture to make it a little frothy. Apply this mixture to the hair. Rinse off after about 10 minutes. It will help clean the hair and remove dirt and excess oil.

So it seems as if we rub the brown rice all over our bodies. I am so relieved! I thought I was going to have to eat it. Too many calories and while I will eat rice...it is not a favorite of mine...rather have PASTA.

Maybe. Is the pasta raw or cooked?
  • ssingley13
    ssingley13 Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    Annie_01 wrote: »

Too kinky for me! Lol
  • Freddi_O
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Wow guys... how about cooling off on this a little!!! It's a 3, 7 or 14 day cleanse where you just eat plain brown rice. I had the same thoughts as you all are having when my colleague tried it and told me about it. But to be fair I don't think all carbs are equal (fruits are not same as french fries)...and eat pasta if you want... but it's more refined than brown rice...

I don't eat pasta though as most as I'm intolerant to gluten and gluten free pasta is very expensive where I live.

The idea with the brown rice is it's not as refined and highly processed as the other junk I was getting out of control with. This was a week or two of eating junk after clean eating for over half a year so I wanted to give the 3 day rice only thing a go just to see as I technically had nothing to lose.

I didn't set out on the 3 day experiment to lose weight but to lose the addiction to fried, salty, refined carbs... So calorie counting didn't matter in this. Ironically enough though, I did lose weight... because I had worked out at my usual intensity throughout.

But each to their own, rub ground brown rice on you skin and try pasta too :smile:

These response are something else though lol... surely we understand that carbs and calories ARE NOT your enemies! Weight loss is about the maths... Cutting carbs to ridiculous lows is not the way to go. Carbs do provide energy. Refined carbs and empty calories are the enemies...
  • Nuke_64
    Nuke_64 Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    OP, you have violated some written and unwritten rules of MFP. Cleanses are total BS, have not scientific basis, usually consist of someone ripping another person off (not in your case), and are a solution to those looking for a quick fix but in actuality does nothing.

Also, although I cannot confirm, if all you ate was brown rice and you continued to work out, you probably had a very large deficient leading to a daily caloric intake of under 1200 calories if not much less. Support VLCD is a big no no.

You should not have been so hung up on water weight and now you supporting an unhealthy diet in the name of "clean" eating. You should not be surprised by the response.
  • Annie_01
    Options
    You got the responses that you did because you never gave any details. You just declared that you did a "brown rice detox for three days"...then left.

Detox is a very controversial method. You have to expect that people have questions...objections...etc etc. To throw that method out there and then never explain yourself leads to the type of responses that were posted.
  • _incogNEATo_
    _incogNEATo_ Posts: 4,543 Member
    Options
    Why is this in Success Stories? Should totes be in Chit-Chat, Fun, and Games.
  • TheGoktor
    TheGoktor Posts: 1,138 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Freddi_O wrote: »
    It's a 3, 7 or 14 day cleanse where you just eat plain brown rice.

There's no such thing as being able to 'cleanse' or 'detox' your system/body. It's just marketing BS designed to get desperate and vulnerable people to part with their cash (whether for a book, DVD, supplements, etc.)
    I don't eat pasta though as most as I'm intolerant to gluten and gluten free pasta is very expensive where I live.

Sorry to hear that. Pasta is really easy to make at home though, and there are many types of flour which are gluten-free. Might be a solution for you.
    The idea with the brown rice is it's not as refined and highly processed as the other junk I was getting out of control with.

This is the crux of the matter; seems as though the rice was merely a catalyst for you adopting a healthier way of eating. By focusing on the 'special' diet, you've turned your attention away from the less healthy food you were previously consuming. The rice is nothing special. And it certainly hasn't 'cleansed' you.
    I didn't set out on the 3 day experiment to lose weight but to lose the addiction to fried, salty, refined carbs...

Sorry to be pedantic but you weren't addicted to those foods, you simply preferred to eat them. Addiction and preference are two very different things, no matter how you try to spin it. I really wish people would be honest, and say they prefer to eat a pizza than a salad but instead of taking that personal responsibility, they blame their eating habits on a mythological addiction, thus demonising certain foods in the process.
    So calorie counting didn't matter in this. Ironically enough though, I did lose weight... because I had worked out at my usual intensity throughout.

If you'd previously been eating 1500 calories a day, chowing down on burgers and chips, you'd have lost weight too. At the end of the day, your body doesn't much care where it gets its fuel from. If you've lost weight through doing this, it's more likely to be that shift of focus again, manifesting itself in more accurate weighing, measuring, and logging. Again, please don't attribute mythological properties to something so easily described by science!
    surely we understand that carbs and calories ARE NOT your enemies! Weight loss is about the maths...
    Cutting carbs to ridiculous lows is not the way to go. Carbs do provide energy.

Agreed!
    Refined carbs and empty calories are the enemies...

No, no, no they are not!

Food is not the enemy. Food is never the enemy! Please stop quoting marketing hype, and think about it for a moment; think about what happens when people start to think of some food as being bad, or to be avoided. It's a slippery slope, and one which ultimately teaches us nothing of any worth. Far better to understand that food is food is food, and what we have to do is take responsibility for what we put into our mouths.

It's perfectly OK to have a burger, or fries, or chips, or pizza, or whatever, as long as it's within our allowances. Sure, there are healthier foods out there but let's not fall into that trap of thinking that food is either healthy or not healthy; either clean or dirty.

It's up to us to learn control, and to not to blame food for making us fat. We make ourselves fat, we are responsible for what we eat, and we are responsible for our health.

~~~

Why is this in Success Stories? Should totes be in Chit-Chat, Fun, and Games.

And yep, I don't see why this is in the SS section... although I think it's a tad harsh to suggest it should be in the chit chat area. :wink:
  • galprincess
    galprincess Posts: 682 Member
    Options
    I'm going to try drinking water brown rice just why? I mean ice cream would be better?
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    Options
    Freddi_O wrote: »
    Hi Guys,

I had fallen off the clean eating wagon a couple of weeks back and maintained my exercise routine but the scale stalled and I really started seeing water weight gains (carbs, fat and sodium) and no progress... I ended up trying a 3 day brown rice detox/cleanse and it worked a treat to fix my cravings for french fries lol... Just thought I'd share in case someone else was stuck too! Good luck

Freddi,

The reason you lost weight was becauase you ate less rice than your body burned- that is assuming all you ate was rice. In other words, you created a calorie deficit. Brown rice is delicious, but it has no magic properties to cleanse or make you lose weight. Besides that, your body cleanes itself all by itself.

It sounds like you love brown rice a lot--I suggest you toss some veggies in, maybe some kind of meat (or tofu if you don't eat meat and can eat soy), some seasongings, and make wonderful dishes with it. All gluten free.

• SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    Options
    I'm going to try drinking water brown rice just why? I mean ice cream would be better?

I've tried some Rice Dream frozen deserts (like ice cream because I'm lactose intolerant), but I don't like them very well. I love the Cashew Milk and Almond Milk ice creams, though.

Don't drink 'em though, they're not as tasty. :)
  • MarleenScott
    MarleenScott Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Freddi, thanks for your thoughtful and sincere posts. Keep up the good work. You inspired me!!
  • Patttience
    Patttience Posts: 975 Member
    Options
    I'm with Freddie. Here. To me its clear what she was doing and i'm not a detox person either.

Good on you Freddie. I"m glad you found something that works for you. I might even try it myself one day if i am struggling to get back into my groove.

I wouldn't do it for detox but just to reset my appetite and i can see that this would work but I would probably find it fairly difficult.
  • Freddi_O
    Options
    Freddi, thanks for your thoughtful and sincere posts. Keep up the good work. You inspired me!!

Thanks MarleenScott :smiley: you just made this girl smile... good luck with your journey!!!
  • Freddi_O
    Options
    Patttience wrote: »
    I'm with Freddie. Here. To me its clear what she was doing and i'm not a detox person either.

Good on you Freddie. I"m glad you found something that works for you. I might even try it myself one day if i am struggling to get back into my groove.

I wouldn't do it for detox but just to reset my appetite and i can see that this would work but I would probably find it fairly difficult.

Thanks for understanding Patttience, I completely agree and maybe my wording with "detox" was inappropriate. It's more of an appetite reset :smiley:

If you do try it, let me know how you get on. I only posted it because it worked for me but it might be terrible for others :wink:

Thanks again for understanding my post
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!