21 Day Fix

Options
anyone tried this?

Replies

• Patttience
    Patttience Posts: 975 Member
    Options
    Listen if you do a low calorie diet, it will rebound on you and you will regain and just get fatter. Is that what you want to achieve?

Aim for a healthy nutritious diet and a weightloss of one pound per week if you want to sustain your loss for a long time.
  • jessicah83
    jessicah83 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I don't think it's low calorie, it teaches portion control and filling up on nutritious foods.

The workouts are 30 mins and kind of boot campish, not really my style long term, but others enjoy it.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    I think, honestly, anything that gives you the false hope that you can fix weight issues in 21 days of strict regime and enter, eventually, a comfortable maintenance is designed to set you up to fail

Sorry

You would probably lose weight following any prescriptive diet and exercise regimen as they abide by the overriding precepts of calories in < calories out and move more

But will it adjust your mindset and lifestyle so that this is the final time you ever need to do this? Highly doubtful
  • ariamythe
    ariamythe Posts: 130 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    The portion control system is not CICO. It runs with the philosophy that most people overeat so much that any reduction is good reduction, and so all it does is give you 7 containers and say "This one is for meat/protein; you get to fill it three times per day, and try to fill it with healthy proteins," etc. You eat 5-6 small meals.

If someone is eating soooo poorly and soooo much that ANY control is better than no control, I can see the system helping (especially if they also do the exercises). But since you're here already, you already have a better, more precise system in place. And the exercise program is really nothing special. Save the $60.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    ariamythe wrote: »
    The portion control system is not CICO. It runs with the philosophy that most people overeat so much that any reduction is good reduction, and so all it does is give you 7 containers and say "This one is for meat/protein; you get to fill it three times per day, and try to fill it with healthy proteins," etc. You eat 5-6 small meals.

If someone is eating soooo poorly and soooo much that ANY control is better than no control, I can see the system helping (especially if they also do the exercises). But since you're here already, you already have a better, more precise system in place. And the exercise program is really nothing special. Save the $60.

Of course it's CICO ...it is estimating the calories by food type by volume is all

That's just a slightly different margin for error than weighing food
  • ariamythe
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Sorry, I should have said "measured CICO". There's no tracking of calories; just the assumption of reduction based on the terrible eating habits of the average American. Still, I bet you could find 7 similarly sized containers in any store and DIY yourself a kit without paying $60.
  • thankyou4thevenom
    thankyou4thevenom Posts: 1,581 Member
    Options
    There are a bunch of threads about this on the forum and I think there might also be a group. You're going to get the people who hate this idea. I'm on the fence about it. I like the idea of doing it for people who need the kick start, who need the proof they can do a diet for more than a week. For those of us who know it's not necessary, well it's pointless.
    If it works for you, do it. If it doesn't, don't. Simple really.
  • meulf6f
    meulf6f Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I've seen the commercial, but never tried it. I would be wedging the food items as tightly in those containers as I could. Lol. No cheating the food scale. The work outs look good though. If you like to work out that might be the selling point.
  • extacymoon
    extacymoon Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    The only thing that it helped me do was learn how much I was over eating in my portions. I was better off when I started paying attention to the CICO. If you think that it will work for you then great try it. I would suggest trying the CICO to see if that works. Log your food on here and be honest. You have all the tools you need already. Good luck.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    It says it will teach you to eat right and get enough fruit and vegetables, but what's difficult about counting and eating 1, 2, 3 pieces of fruit every day, and adding vegetables to every meal? I've read testimonies about it that says the calorie limit is enough for satiety - but there is no magic involved; any BMR/TDEE calculator will provide a number for you based on your stats. Users seem to be happy with the foods that are allowed on the program, which is a hilarious concept as you really can eat anything you want, and lose weight.

The name "21 day fix" is unfortunate, as it sounds like a quick fix but it really isn't; you are supposed to reapeat for as long as needed. It's not harmful in any way - but it's IMO an unnecessary, expensive, dumbed-down, easily overridden, and proprietary/rigid way to achieve a calorie deficit. The name is based on the idea that it takes 21 days to form a new habit. That is overly simplified, if not completely false.

The 21 day fix will do nothing that MFP (free) and a food scale ($10) can't do better. Google recipes if you want to expand your repertoire. Read about the food pyramid and plate if you lack basic information about nutrition.
  • sarahrbraun
    sarahrbraun Posts: 2,261 Member
    Options
    anyone tried this?

I'm on my 3rd round. I already knew how many calories to eat, etc. I just needed a little more guidance on the best foods to eat.

Im just using the containers. Ive been working with a trainer 2x a week (and on my own 2-3×) for 18 months now.The first round, I lost 3.6 lbs. The second round I lost 2.4 lbs

• sarahrbraun
    sarahrbraun Posts: 2,261 Member
    Options
    Patttience wrote: »
    Listen if you do a low calorie diet, it will rebound on you and you will regain and just get fatter. Is that what you want to achieve?

Aim for a healthy nutritious diet and a weightloss of one pound per week if you want to sustain your loss for a long time.

It's not low calorie. I'm in the 1800-2000 calorie bracket, and struggle to eat all my food.
  • ariamythe
    Options
    It's not harmful in any way - but it's IMO an unnecessary, expensive, dumbed-down, easily overridden, and proprietary/rigid way to achieve a calorie deficit.

^^^^ This x 1000.

That really is an apt description of every pricey "weight loss program" with a 1-800 number attached.