Women over 40 success stories...

Options
2»

Replies

• jaxgetshealthy
    jaxgetshealthy Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    starting .. again.. but this time I'm serious.. Have 21lbs to lose - and I want to do it healthily.. slow and steady wins the race.. this time I am determined to keep it off. I am looking for friends to give and receive support so please add me if you want to buddy up. From tomorrow I will be logging daily (its the only way it works for me).. x
  • jules6669mfp
    jules6669mfp Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    I'm 56 and have chronic pain. A lot of pain in my left knee, as well as other issues. I am walking to Leslie Sansone's videos and usually I'm able to keep up. I try not to let the pain stop me. If I get swelling I tone it down. I feel so much better after completing a video both mentally and physically.
    To date, I've lost 24lbs and would like to take off between 30-50 more. The last month I've been in a slump, so I know that I need to get more exercise in and maybe reevaluate my calories needed.
    Thanks for sharing, it's all been inspiring for me.
  • hellokittyhorror
    hellokittyhorror Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    starting .. again.. but this time I'm serious.. Have 21lbs to lose - and I want to do it healthily.. slow and steady wins the race.. this time I am determined to keep it off. I am looking for friends to give and receive support so please add me if you want to buddy up. From tomorrow I will be logging daily (its the only way it works for me).. x

I am starting again as well. When I was 40-41 I lost over 30 lbs. I was eating 1200-1500 calories a day. I approximated my weight in high school, lost several dress sizes, and had that good problem of having to go shopping for clothes that didn't fall off. Now at 43 it's all come back, I'm the heaviest I've ever been, and I have this very rebellious gut! I think calorie restriction doesn't work well for all. Also I think my hormones changing has slowed my metabolism. I did go through a gourmet doughnut phase too, so that didn't help. Now I'm trying to do more body weight resistance training (also some bicep curls w/ 15 lbs). I'm kickboxing and yoga-ing 3-4 times a week. I'm also varying my carb intake. I was doing 100-150 carbs a day but am going to try to reduce to 80-100 range to see what that does (don't like that less than 50 grams ketosis thing, that made me feel weird). I've been really good for about 2 weeks and pants seem slightly less tight. Like jaxgetshealthy, I want to do it slow and steady, but am also impatient for some results!

Sorry to hear about the chronic pain, that must be tough. Feel free to MFP friend me if you want another buddy!

• deannasimon2
    deannasimon2 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I lost 120 lbs in 10 months and I am 47. I did have a trainer, but all my workouts were at home on a treadmill or with body weight. As I got smaller, I invested in home gym equipment. I agree, diet it so important. I log consistently and I meal prep every weekend. I have maintained my loss for a year. Good luck, you can add me if you want. It can be done.
  • StocksNBlondes
    StocksNBlondes Posts: 4 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Liftng4Lis wrote: »
    Don't mean to disappoint anyone, but this is very much the TRUTH:

qt17fzbbcv52.jpg

Seriously someone flagged this, because it states the truth!?

I was wondering the same thing. This is the truth, I am living proof of this concept and I don't think the person that originally posted this meant anything other than what it states. You can't out train a bad diet. FACT. Good luck OP, you can do this no matter what age. Put your mind to it and MAKE it happen!!
  • swiftyoung
    swiftyoung Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    Thanks to everyone for sharing your great results. I am 49 ( 50 in December). I am motivated by your successes. My personal goal is to lose 50 for my 50th. I am down 5 lbs. So 45 to go.
  • lavenderannie
    lavenderannie Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I'm 56 and over the past few years have lost 4 stone by cutting calories and walking.

MFP really helps to keep you motivated and think about your nutrition and exercise. I use Mapmywalk each morning when I take the dog for a walk....make sure I do a mile at least and longer walks at the weekend. I've also started doing fitness videos off Youtube.....keep trying different ones til I find one I like.

Last year I went to a gym, but I find it easier and of course less expensive, just to walk every day and do a fitness video in the evening for about an hour.

For me the most important thing of all is to keep a positive mental attitude. I used to always give in thinking I couldn't do it and what was the point :( However, every day I look at the success stories on here, I've added some very supportive friends and I've made it my priority in life to eat properly and exercise. It really does work! Once the pounds start to fall off it gives you the motivation to carry on!

Good luck! You can do it!
  • VegasFit
    VegasFit Posts: 1,232 Member
    Options
    I didn't notice any judgmental post? But to the OP it's really just math so of course you can lose weight with calorie reduction and walking/swimming as your primary exercise. I'm in better shape now than I have been in years and it's mostly cause I changed my nutrition and that's when I started to really get the results I wanted. I had always worked out but my nutrition wasn't always on point.
  • happygalah
    happygalah Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    I'm in my 50s and have lost 47lbs total. The key has been cutting calories, measuring my food, eating a lot less. For exercise, I weight train, dance, do kickboxing and yoga.
  • Nataliegetfit
    Nataliegetfit Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    You can do this, just tell yourself you are worth it, in 6 months do you want to be healthier and feel better or the same, or heavier??
    I am 46 and had been very sedentary. In January something clicked and I started logging food and doing elliptical at home some and some work out videos about a4-5 days a week. I have lost 30 lbs and still want another 20 lbs to go. I realized if I want it, I need to make it happen. You have to make yourself get up and move a little more each day, try new things, I still don't love to exercise, but I need to do it. I have actually had a horrible cough for a few days and can't exercise because I start this horrible coughing, and I feel like a total lazy bum and hate it. I can't wait to feel better quit coughing and go for a walk.
    My hobbies are sedentary, quilting, card making, things like that, but find a time make time to do active things. I saw a couple ladies at JoAnnes the other day (they were older, and looked like they had a lot of medical problems) but they were huge, were walking like zombies, and looked like they were there to pick up what they needed and weren't going to move again except when they had to. I really had this moment like, this isn't going to be me. I need to do this, make a change, be healthy, make good food choices, no one can make it happen but you. All these people are making it happen you can too. You are worth the effort.
  • 2ledbetter
    2ledbetter Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    I am 53 and have reached my 100lbs lost just this week, in 11 months. I started at 297, 5'1" and I'm now down to 197 with at least 80 more to go.

I hurt my foot probably 10 years ago and the weight just kept piling on ( but I was about 70 lbs overweight then).

I started walking on a treadmill at a 1.7 for about 10 min it was what I could do. That time and distance has increases to the best time of a 3, with a distance of 2 miles. However, my foot started hurting the next day so I gave backed off from that, at least till I lose more weight. Most days I walk 1 mile at a speed of 2.5 - 2.7. I like when my calorie burn come from real life, ex: mowing the yard, weeding, helping to remodel someone's home, deep cleaning, ext.

My blood sugar was also high, which is what really caught my attention and got me "finally" started on my way. I eat 1200 calories, mostly don't eat back my exercise ones. I try to keep my carbs between 30 - 50 a day, don't worry about the fat.

I'm always happy to add new friends, as I learn so much from each of the ones I have.
  • ArdieAgain
    ArdieAgain Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    52 and I have lost over 50 lbs as of today. :smile: I have been taking walks and sticking pretty close to MFP. I took a vacation where I ate desserts and drank wine with dinner, just smaller portions than before. Two weeks I was away and I made it up two weeks later.

I've also been in places where I wanted to curl up and die, and went over my goals with comfort food, but didn't eat a whole bag of chips like I would have before...and I got back at it the next week. Determination works, and taking things out of your house you can't control yourself around ALSO works.

I am telling myself I will start doing more exercise NOW and I've just started that, but this is 10 months down the road, so YES, you can do it with diet and just walking. Start there and then do more as you feel ready? It WILL work. I am proof.
  • Jupiter0529
    Jupiter0529 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    groovyreba wrote: »
    Unless you've suffered with chronic pain from a disease you have in your genes, you just don't get it! This is why I needed the motivation and support. Despite what the judgmental people here may think, I am not a lazy couch potato, so kindly step aside. Thanks so much to all of the others who are not judging me for my post. I appreciate very much your kind words of encouragement...

I have Rheumatoid Arthritis so I suffer from chronic pain and always will. I also deal with all of the other effects from having an autoimmune disease so I completely understand.
    When I complained about my foot pain to my doctor he referred me for bariatric surgery. Well that pissed me off and I decided to get busy and do this without surgery.
    I have a small gym where I live so I do t have to drive anywhere and most of the times I am in the only one there.
    I put my headphones in and watch movies on my HBO app. I do 45 minutes on the treadmill at 2.3 and I can only manage 15 in the elliptical right now. Sweating feels good.
    I cut down on simple carbs, increased my vegetables ALOT and drink tons of water. If I want something I eat it, just in moderation and I drink protein shakes. EAS is high protein, low calorie, low carb. My joints are already feeling better. Less pain most days.
    It's been about 5 weeks and I've lost around 15 pounds. I was 265 when I started, I'm only 5'4" and I'm 43 years old.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!