Waist Trainers - Do they really work?

Options
Ladies -
I've seen women wearing these all over social media, but do they really work? I've heard mixed reviews. If they do work, are the results only temporary?

I've also read articles written by doctors which state that they do work, but are really bad for your body because essentially you're pushing all of your organs together in an unnatural position! I was thinking about purchasing one but not sure if it's worth it. I've generally seen them for around $70. Share your experiences if you've used one!

Replies

• VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    No.

Also, you're confusing a waist trainer of the elastic Kim Kardashian kind and the steel boned variety which only causes issues when used for extreme waist training more than 4-6" below natural waist for extended periods of time.

I've did a long reply in another recent thread as this pops up all the time. It's basically hocum.
  • slaite1
    slaite1 Posts: 1,307 Member
    Options
    There are no magic fixes. Eat less and move more for weight loss. Lift weights to "tighten and tone". Make peace with your genetics. Dress appropriately for your shape.

That's it. Seriously. Short of surgery there is nothing else. Simple but not easy.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,709 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Yes they work at "wasting" your money.

You cannot change your shape by wearing an outer garment for a few hours a day. MAYBE continually without taking it off (think braces on your teeth here) over a 2 year span, but lol, I'd as people who do that to attend therapy.

It's hype. Just like the diet industry is. Look at every magazine devoted to females on the rack at the in the checkout aisle. They all have at least one article on "get that flat stomach" or "lose fat from your belly".

Women spend more money than men do when it comes to physical improvement. And the makers of these know it.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • kmccarr
    kmccarr Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the reply. I'd love to read more on people's opinions about them but couldn't find any postings on here. Where can I find this thread?
  • Whitezombiegirl
    Whitezombiegirl Posts: 1,042 Member
    Options
    As a regular steel-boned corset wearer - the results are only temporary for the time I wear the corset (5 hours max at time , maybe- for a night out. I'm a Goth - it's a popular aesthetic). You'd need to wear a steel-boned corset for 22 hours a day to get any real result. The rubber ones make you sweat around your middle. Any effect would dissapear as soon as you ate or drank anything. Save your money.
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    the search button
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options
    Forum search function. Here's the thread I replied to. There's a lot more you'll find if you search.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10210485/sweat-bands-and-waist-trainers/p1
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    Your organs are in their current place for a reason. Accept that and don't try to move them around.
  • kmccarr
    kmccarr Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Thanks! I'm new on here and trying to figure out how to navigate lol
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    NO!