795 CALORIES?!!! OMG

Options

Replies

• nurseaim
    nurseaim Posts: 146
    Options
    I'm using spaghetti squash now instead of the spaghetti noodles. It's still really yummy!
  • Suziq2you
    Suziq2you Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    First, don't let it dictate the rest of your day. Feed your body and go for an extra long walk. :)
  • clarehaines
    clarehaines Posts: 49
    Options
    Just checking: how did you measure the pasta? Calories for pasta are usually listed at 2 oz DRY = about 200 calories (makes about 1 cup cooked). Same for rice, calories are measured dry.

I used the calculator on here but I weighed it cooked, have I made a mistake then?
  • JJtexasgirl
    JJtexasgirl Posts: 106 Member
    Options

haha no brainer.....smaller portion size?????

OP wasn't asking for your tactless judgement nor your "holier than thou" attitude. As I am one to walk the walk, I won't judge you either and will just assume that your attempt at lighthearted humor was lost in the cyber translation.
  • thumper44
    thumper44 Posts: 1,464 Member
    Options
    Just checking: how did you measure the pasta? Calories for pasta are usually listed at 2 oz DRY = about 200 calories (makes about 1 cup cooked). Same for rice, calories are measured dry.

I used the calculator on here but I weighed it cooked, have I made a mistake then?
    I would think that means you weighed it with extra water soaked up - Other can chime in to confirm.

Don't worry for a lot of us it was trial and error.
    If you do find yourself having a large meal (ie over 600 calories) - Split it up into two smaller meals.
  • maddymama
    maddymama Posts: 1,183 Member
    Options
    Either try Whole Wheat Spaghetti, or Spaghetti Squash. It really does look and taste almost exactly the same as Spaghetti. If you don't tell them, your kids may not even know the difference.
    THAT!!!! Or mix the two..............
  • heathersmilez
    heathersmilez Posts: 2,579 Member
    Options
    How much pasta did you add? Holy cow!

A serving size of pasta as per the box is 310 cals (85g) and you should have 75g max so that's about 270 cals puting your lunch to about 512 cals, no big deal, go easy on carbs at dinner.

EDIT: I just saw above you made 1 cup cooked pasta then weighed it. In the future, weigh before you cook. 1 cup cooked is only 3 WW points which is about 220 cals or so.
  • JJtexasgirl
    JJtexasgirl Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    What is spaghetti squash?
  • heathersmilez
    Options

OP wasn't asking for your tactless judgement nor your "holier than thou" attitude. As I am one to walk the walk, I won't judge you either and will just assume that your attempt at lighthearted humor was lost in the cyber translation.

Tactful no but I think we were all shocked when we read the op's posting to find that she stated she intended on eating about 500 cals in dry pasta alone which is about 4+ cups cooked. It was just a shock reaction, don't penalize this person for writing what most of us felt.
  • therealangd
    therealangd Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options
    If you measured cooked, you probably measured incorrectly. Most sites count pasta dry. I'd bet you should have at least half of those calories.

I typically use rice noodles in place of regular noodles. It's a bit less calories.
  • marci355
    marci355 Posts: 292
    Options

Totally agree!!! Sure are a lot of "food nazi's" on here....
  • heathersmilez
    Options
    What is spaghetti squash?

It's the big yellow oval squash found next to potatoes. You cut it in half then put it in the oven or microwave until it softens a little then scrape out the flesh with a fork. It comes out looking like spaghetti.

It does NOT taste like pasta, its ok but even with sauce and seasoning it's pretty tasteless. Mixing the 2 would be a great filler and low carb. It's about 30 cals per cup.
  • steve4580
    steve4580 Posts: 32
    Options
    Oops.
  • isabelk
    isabelk Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    Try no yolk pasta. It's in the kosher section of the supermarket.
  • rockachick1982
    Options
    The same as what a lot of people put on here - switch up the pasta for whole grain or something similar.
    Smaller portion sizes and go out for a walk or do some exercise that will allow you to burn additional calories and add some back into your day.

Good luck!

:heart:
  • shanel_h
    shanel_h Posts: 18
    Options
    where do you buy spaghetti squash?
  • its_betty
    its_betty Posts: 104 Member
    Options

It's likely that you ate fewer calories than you thought, then. When you cook pasta, it soaks in water so it is heavier. That's why it should be weighed DRY (before you cook it). : )
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    LuckyLeprechaun Posts: 6,296 Member
    Options
    stay under 1200 calories

NO. 1200 is the minimum. She should not be aiming to "stay under" that number, that is the LEAST amount she should be aiming to eat.
  • AshleyAN2011
    Options
    Don't worry about them. Just stay under 1200-1300 calories today. You can do this by eating veggies or later, have a salad with a single serving of light vinaigrette. Drink plenty of water. Also hit the gym or head out for a walk I do 2 - 3 miles a day at a brisk pace (about 3.5 mph) I just started this too and didn't realize how many calories were in certain things. You will get the hand of it in no time.
    :)
  • ambie35
    ambie35 Posts: 853 Member
    Options
    maybe do the sauce vegetarian next time?