Meal preping

Options
i always have a horrible time trying to figure out what to eat; and what to meal prep for week lunches. I usually go with chicken, white rice,and steamed green beans. But I'd like to eat more than just that! I just need some healthy tips! The reason I always back track on losing weight is usually because I don't know what to make. Any help would be wonderful! Thanks ☺️

Replies

• galgenstrick
    galgenstrick Posts: 2,086 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    I like to do a lot of one pot cooking or no cooking to make things quick an easy.

I make a lot of stir fry and curries.

if you're not in the mood to cook, try something like bean salads.
    Can of beans
    fully cooked lean chicken sausage
    broccoli
    bell pepper
    salsa
  • spzjlb
    spzjlb Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    I often take a salad for my lunches: toss in a heap of greens, cherry tomatoes and a quarter of an avocado. I throw on 60-100 grams of some leftover meat (canned tuna is great if I don't have anything else). I make two or three of these at time during an evening to be fast in the mornings (Of course, cucumber, peppers, onion, etc are all good, too.) Before packing the salad with meat in my lunch bag with an ice pack, I add another 100-125 g cottage cheese with salt and pepper. I find this to be a good lunch coupled with a snack, often a bit of fruit or I also usually have a few nuts or homemade power balls or protein bars (Google for recipes). It doesn't take much effort after you get used to the prepping.
  • 123sockmonkey123
    123sockmonkey123 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I make boiled eggs & powerballs(peanut butter, oats, dried fruit, nuts, dark chocolate) on Sunday. I also put different fruits & veggies in containers for lunch snacks. That way I don't forget anything & it rots. Plus I can visualize the variety I have. I also do bean salads & make up my own salad dressings.
  • 95savvy
    95savvy Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    play with different veggies and proteins.
    i like to make like a giant stirfry.
    mix in chicken and lean ground beef or turkey and throw in mushrooms, carrots, green beans..etc... then put in siracha.. just enough to taste, or if you like spicy alot.. put more in. it's really satisfying
    then of course your rice. sometimes i like to make my own chicken fried rice too, not too bad. olive oil, egg, and chicken and well veggies if you like.

• pigtoprincess
    pigtoprincess Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    All food is healthy. Eat whatever you like and log it. I put hummus on my chicken. Makes it tastey. Instead of rice, try couscous or quinoa. Use different veggies, such as sweet potato, peas, broccoli, calliflour, whatever. Boiled eggs. Peanut butter. Carrots. So much food, so little time.

That is such a great idea! The quinoa and hummus on chicken
  • galgenstrick
    galgenstrick Posts: 2,086 Member
    Options
    All food is healthy. Eat whatever you like and log it. I put hummus on my chicken. Makes it tastey. Instead of rice, try couscous or quinoa. Use different veggies, such as sweet potato, peas, broccoli, calliflour, whatever. Boiled eggs. Peanut butter. Carrots. So much food, so little time.

Lol, no. It's not that simple.
  • redperphexion
    redperphexion Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    I have had huge success with cooking chicken/ground beef with chili powder ahead of time, and portioning it into whole wheat wraps with beans, brown rice, bell peppers, salsa and a little cheese, and freezing them wrapped. A really tasty lunch that you can use for backup days where you're not motivated to prep or don't have ingredients in the house.

I also love boiled eggs! I've made hummus and cut up veggies for the week, too.
  • booboo68
    booboo68 Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    I like to mix it up. I will cook several meals at the beginning of a week and my hubby and I both take them. Examples of the meals, mix and match:
    Chicken breast, quinoa and steamed broccoli.
    Ham, green beans and potatoes made together.
    Turkey sausage with rice and peppers.
    Chili.
    Pork tenderloin with carrots and potatoes.
    Grilled steak, baked potato and grilled pineapple and onions.
    Meatballs and marinara over protein pasta or Quest pastabilities.
    Salads.
    Tuna salad, cut up veggies, fruit.
    Scrambled eggs, turkey sausage, yogurt or fruit.
    Egg muffins and fruit.
    Lettuce wraps and yogurt.
    Boiled eggs, fresh veggies and fresh fruit.
    Turkey burger then wrap it in lettuce with added veggies and mustard.

I like to find new things too!
  • Queenmunchy
    Queenmunchy Posts: 3,380 Member
    Options
    I like to cook more one pot meals and dishes - soup, stew, chili, curry, burritos, nuggets, meatballs, mini meat loves or pot pies, sauces etc but all with a lot of veggies mixed in. I freeze in portions or flash freeze on a cookie sheet.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,996 Member
    Options
    I have sandwiches a lot for week day lunches. I don't find bread made from flour especially filling, and eat Alvarado St Bakery bread, which is made from sprouted grains. I like their flax bread, which is only 50 calories per piece.
  • ashypashy7
    ashypashy7 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I throw 5-6 boneless skinless chicken breasts into the slow cooker with some stock or water and spices, turn it on low for 6-8 hours or high for four hours then shred. Takes no time, very little prep and right there you have chicken to throw on top of salad, in wraps, throw in soup, anything really. Can do the same but no water and add salsa and black beans (and corn if you like), throw it on a wrap with cheese and veg, use it for taco salads.

Its super easy to grill or cook off chicken breast, ground turkey, ect and just leave it in the fridge or freezer, add veggies, or salad, make up a huge pot of grains and you've got meals right there.

Lots of people love over night oats (hate them myself, icky texture) and pintrest has a whole wack of ideas. Even make ahead salads in jars haha.

PS meal prep was SUPER easy when I was single and kidless. I'd make a pot of soup or chilli and boom lunch ALL week long.
  • kittywrangler
    kittywrangler Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    -I hard boil a half dozen eggs for quick breakfasts and snacks.
    -Fry up some ground turkey and seasonings and add that too salads, or just another vegetable. Usually steamed broccoli for me.
    -I'll also make grilled cheese rice cakes, melt some light cheese ontop of turkey bacon on top of a rice cake.. Couple of those are filling, delicious and satisfying.
    -Boneless, skinless canned salmon with dill, mustard salt and pepper, maybe a little light mayo mixed up on top of a rice cake or Wassa cracker.
    -bbq zucchini, onions and mushrooms with "garlic plus" seasoning and little evoo in a grill basket..omg this is good.
    -Turkey kabobs.

as you can see I eat a lot of turkey