Discouraged by weight loss study

Options

Replies

• fatcity66
    fatcity66 Posts: 1,544 Member
    Options
    I will say, if simply reading a study makes you give up, you will probably struggle. I mean geeze, in the real world most things (and people) will work against you. Do you just give up on life? No, you actively decide to make changes for the better, and you DO IT.
  • Buddhistflutist
    Buddhistflutist Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Don't let it discourage you; the article didn't do a good job, IMO, of explaining WHY people don't keep off the weight. It's because so many think, "oh, I'm thin now, I can eat what I want". No, you can never again just "eat what you want". You will always have to keep on top of your eating habits. You won't have to DIET, but you will have to keep on a program of MAINTENANCE. Let's say you want to weigh 100 pounds (just to make math easy). If you stay moderately active, take walks after dinner, etc., you will need to eat no more than 1500 calories per day to maintain that weight. (Or exercise more if you go over, for example). If you are good about using myfitness pal, logging your meals, and sticking to a maintenance regimen...and if you are one of the people who realizes that the ONLY way to lose AND keep the weight off is to watch calories and exercise - you will keep it off. It's a lifestyle change, but one that is NOT out of the realm of possibility for most people. Frankly, I'm addicted to myfitness pal. And I am determined to be one of the ones who keeps the weight off. Good luck. I say you can do it!
  • blankiefinder
    blankiefinder Posts: 3,599 Member
    Options
    I think instead of googling 'impossible weight loss', I'd rather google 'weight loss maintenance strategies'. Sometimes it's all in how you see things.

I see this as a lifestyle change not a diet.
  • tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,459 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    That study can only speak to the effectiveness of the behaviours of participants they tracked, and there's no indication of what those behaviours were. Odds are, at least some of them went on diets that were popular at the time data was tracked, or referred to popular knowledge about diet and weight loss within that time period - which is between 2004 and 2014.

I think conditions are slightly different today than they were in the earlier part of the study, certainly. For one thing, apps like MFP make it much, much easier to track calories than was the case in 2004. Like I can't believe how easy it is now. (I would be really interested to see research on the long-term use and impact of apps like this). Anyway, this is the kind of variable that was not addressed in the study.

Although fads still exist, obviously, and it's true that people will look for the kinds of things they want to see (so if they search for a soup diet or whatever, they'll find it), I imagine it is now slightly easier than it was in 2004 to find helpful and accurate information - or at least, people who know how to read the web somewhat critically may find it easier than they would have then to locate good information, because most sensible health/fitness info/articles tend to agree on the main points. (I admit this is probably not everyone, though.) But MFP, for example, comes up pretty regularly in popular articles about weight loss, and broader searches, as well. And there is loads of good info here.

And there is room for many more changes to the conditions people encounter - the public dialogue about weight loss is a factor; policy changes, preventative programs, delivery of particular services can make a difference, - I'm hopeful we go in directions that can support people's long-term success.

ANYWAY the point is I think we are in uncharted territory (research wise), with e.g. MFP. You can find or be pointed to everything you need to know to be successful. And, you're here! So it's up to you to see what you can do.
  • arv51862
    arv51862 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    Wow ! Nothing like looking to give yourself an excuse to give up before you even try. If you believe that it can't be done, it wont get done. One commonality among all that have succeeded, or are succeeding is that they believe that it is possible & they don't give up trying. I suggest that you not believe everything that you read, or hear & try to develop a more positive "can-do" attitude. The negative "I can't do this" stuff you can keep to yourself...
    I for one can do his !
  • DeterminedFee201426
    DeterminedFee201426 Posts: 859 Member
    Options
    Diets fail. Because people "go on" diets and then "come off" them when the weight is gone. They go back to the eating habits that caused them to gain weight in the first place and then wonder why they can't stay slim.

It's a lifestyle change. When you grasp that concept you will win.
    Exactaly what happened to me in the past when I losted weight... and was a newbie to it .. I did not know of such thing as maintain .. i not know about TEE's and deficits either at the time .. only thing i knew was to eat less to lose weight .. i did'nt count calories to lose it.. after that i went back to eating normally as in mounds of food . i did'nt know i'd gain back the weight after losing it. I was losted and confused. i thought once it was gone it was gone .. silly me = P i was.. and all the weight i had losted pilled back on with 3 months
    then I started to do lots of research on why that had happened and took it from there to fix that problem...
  • Annie_01
    Annie_01 Posts: 3,096 Member
    Options
    DataSeven wrote: »
    Those studies just annoy me... I'm sick of people telling me I'll never make it. It's my life and my choices and I'll make it if I want to. I don't know what those studies are trying to prove anyway? Do they want to make people so hopeless that they'll just continue to over-consume food that they don't need?

I think that these studies can be used as a learning tool. Too many people think if they lose the weight that is the end of if...they can eat "normally" at that point.

The success rate for keeping the weight off is low...that is a given. People need to learn that there is a next step to this process...keeping it off.

Personally...these type of reports have motivated me to think ahead...what happens next. It has also motivated me to start planning that next step...putting plans in to action even before I get there.

If you research you will find what steps those successful people have taken. You can use what they have done to start readying yourself for that stage of weight maintenance.

I don't want someone to tell me it is a piece of cake to maintain my weight loss. I would rather know up front that it is and always will be a balancing act.

But that is just me...I want ALL the information now...good or bad...that will help me succeed in the future.

• bsctov
    bsctov Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    For those that actually read my post instead of commenting on the topic alone, thanks for the replies. I didn't post the link because I'm new here and wasn't sure if linking stuff was allowed (frequently isn't on most forums).
    I think instead of googling 'impossible weight loss', I'd rather google 'weight loss maintenance strategies'. Sometimes it's all in how you see things.

Uh...I only suggested googling that because that's how you'd find the article in question without the link......but anyways....I'm still gonna try to lose weight, even though I'm now "scientifically proven" to fail lol.. you gotta wonder what they got out of publishing those results..it's almost as if they are just dying to say "your fat...and will remain fat forever..just accept it" but they can't because they have to be politically correct about it.

• blankiefinder
    blankiefinder Posts: 3,599 Member
    Options
    bsctov wrote: »
    For those that actually read my post instead of commenting on the topic alone, thanks for the replies. I didn't post the link because I'm new here and wasn't sure if linking stuff was allowed (frequently isn't on most forums).

Uh...I only suggested googling that because that's how you'd find the article in question without the link......but anyways....I'm still gonna try to lose weight, even though I'm now "scientifically proven" to fail lol.. you gotta wonder what they got out of publishing those results..it's almost as if they are just dying to say "your fat...and will remain fat forever..just accept it" but they can't because they have to be politically correct about it.

My point is that I wouldn't even read an article telling me it's impossible to maintain. And by putting that thought out there, you will discourage people from even trying, just like the smokers who say that quitting is too hard or impossible, therefore they won't try. Who knows what you can do, until you try. Is your glass half empty, or half full?
  • radicalchanges
    radicalchanges Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Generalizing a sample size that small is not generalizable to the larger population. Questions to ask yourself when you read a study summary conclusion. Sample size large (several hundred to thousand)? Representative of diversity in ethnicity, gender, age, educational preparation (does factor in), diversity of location (was it only in one city?) Diversity of occupations and income? Is the study reproducible (i.e. did they repeat the study and get same result)? Was everybody doing the same thing to lose weight or were there a variety of plans? Everyone is an individual. There are confounding variables in every study (things out of our control or unknown influencing factors) and if we draw conclusions on one study we are doing ourselves a great disservice. In short, bunk.
  • tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,459 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Generalizing a sample size that small is not generalizable to the larger population. Questions to ask yourself when you read a study summary conclusion. Sample size large (several hundred to thousand)? Representative of diversity in ethnicity, gender, age, educational preparation (does factor in), diversity of location (was it only in one city?) Diversity of occupations and income? Is the study reproducible (i.e. did they repeat the study and get same result)? Was everybody doing the same thing to lose weight or were there a variety of plans? Everyone is an individual. There are confounding variables in every study (things out of our control or unknown influencing factors) and if we draw conclusions on one study we are doing ourselves a great disservice. In short, bunk.

I think because of the sample size and data source that it's representative enough of a population of dieters and non-dieters in Britain between 2004 and 2014. But that still doesn't say anything about the effectiveness of any particular approach and it's limited to time- and place-specific conditions (eg culture, services, available tools)
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    bsctov wrote: »

Believing its impossible before you have even tried or learned how to do it correctly will only undermine your efforts in reaching your goal. Your analysis of the article is not what it actually says.
    it's almost as if they are just dying to say "your fat...and will remain fat forever..just accept it" but they can't because they have to be politically correct about it.

Nope thats you putting a spin on it that isnt really accurate and is unhelpful to you.

Losing weight is straightforward.
    You can increase your chances by learning how to form an accurate deficit, be consistent and develop a good mindset that will give you self belief and determination not a fatalistic outlook that fails you before you begin.

Its not impossible to lose weight and maintain. these boards have many people who have done just that.
    It only needs to happen to you and that will give you a 100% success rate.
    Whether that happens is 100% within your control.

If you are reading it then you can cut and paste the url of the article you are reading, which is in the address bar. That bit aside you should work on your mindset and approach if you want to improve your chances of losing.
  • goodasgoldilox165
    goodasgoldilox165 Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    Don't worry - it was a study of people who didn't use MFP to lose weight. The results could have been so different
  • williamwj2014
    williamwj2014 Posts: 750 Member
    Options
    I hate this thread. Stop believing what the media tells you. Look at the success stories on these forums. You can be discouraged by what the stupid media says or you can go after what you want for yourself.
  • JPNVZ
    JPNVZ Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Came here to post what williamwj2014 said but it's worth re-iterating. That was timely. He's got this nailed.

Ignore the media. Best thing you can do.

Media is funny/ridiculous and unfortunately it get's people off track.

One little piece of text that helped me understand was a book by Chris Aceto I picked up years ago. It's on Amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/Everything-Need-Know-About-Loss/dp/0966916867

It teaches you how to eat. It's not just about losing fat. It teaches one what happens when you eat what you do. Myfitnesspal is great but what I do not agree with are the carb recommendations. @180, recommends 400. No. Run fine with 150-200. Offset calorie requirements with adequate quality protein and fats. The "low fat" trend has made folks fatter than ever. That's the carb/sugar thing.

On supplements, don't get suckered into it. A WPI as a meal replacement is good with resistance training but solid diet is key. Fat burners are bs. Supplement industry preys on those that don't know. Drink a cup of coffee before workout. Eat clean, keep moving and be proud of it. Payoff is huge.

Don't buy that genetic rebound crap. It's a myth. Personal decision to change it what it comes down to. Heck, got fat as fvck in my 30s making $$ and partying. I think 260 was it but carry weight well with my frame. 40's happen and realized I can't do it anymore. I'm shooting for 90 before I fall off this place.

Good luck to you OP.
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Options
    Actually, I lied. I am not in that study. I am in the National Weight Loss Registry. If you qualify, you should join too.

http://www.nwcr.ws/
  • maggiemay530
    maggiemay530 Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    The reason why they fail: they used a diet program to lose weight. They didn't ADAPT to a HABITUAL change of reduced calorie intake over a LIFETIME. Math still applies. CICO is still the reason for weight gain/loss/maintenance and most people who go on a crash or fad diet AREN'T willing to quit their desired eating lifestyle before the program. Same thing happens at bootcamps for the US services year in and out.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

YEP!
  • fastforlife1
    fastforlife1 Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    "Research has shown that ≈20% of overweight individuals are successful at long-term weight loss when defined as losing at least 10% of initial body weight and maintaining the loss for at least 1 y. The National Weight Control Registry provides information about the strategies used by successful weight loss maintainers to achieve and maintain long-term weight loss. National Weight Control Registry members have lost an average of 33 kg and maintained the loss for more than 5 y. To maintain their weight loss, members report engaging in high levels of physical activity (≈1 h/d), eating a low-calorie, low-fat diet, eating breakfast regularly, self-monitoring weight, and maintaining a consistent eating pattern across weekdays and weekends. Moreover, weight loss maintenance may get easier over time; after individuals have successfully maintained their weight loss for 2–5 y, the chance of longer-term success greatly increases."
    http://ajcn.nutrition.org/content/82/1/222S.long