This absolutely sucks.

Options

Replies

• ncboiler89
    ncboiler89 Posts: 2,408 Member
    Options
    It's been around one and a half weeks and I've only lost around like 0.7 pounds? I eat around 1300-1500 calories everyday and I'm currently 150lbs. Aren't I supposed to lose more? Does anyone have any tips for losing weight faster and maintaining that weight? My weight's gone up and down over the last few years and I just want to get healthy again.

You are obviously new to the weight loss ordeal. 1.5 weeks is not enough to determine anything about your weight loss.
  • zombiemusicgirl
    zombiemusicgirl Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Just keep going - and try not to be discouraged. There will always be frustrations and challenges, both physically and emotionally. Also, sometimes in an attempt to be helpful, some people can unexpectedly make things more difficult. Try to learn what works and what doesn't over time and be patient and consistent. You're new at this - keep learning and keep doing whatever works.

Great job on getting started - people are here for you!
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Nerdycurls wrote: »
    Mr_Knight wrote: »
    The best thing to do is to ignore your parents and pay attention to what YOU do.

OP already did that, and is now in a position of needing to lose weight.

The hate-on for OP's parents is a bit ridiculous since none of you have any idea at all of the context.

It's funny how you describe it as hate on when the OP has clearly stated the parents expect a 2 pound weight loss every week and then criticize the amount of exercise. Because we all know, those things are healthy expectations and are overwhelmingly conducive to weight loss.

Because we all know that hearing one extremely biased side of a story tells us all we need to know to jump to valid conclusions...

Because we all know you're actually the fly on the wall?

But...that's exactly what *you* are assuming you are. You have no idea - zero, nada - what the parents actually said, or meant.

Give us a break.

Indeed...
  • Nerdycurls
    Nerdycurls Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    The best thing to do is to ignore your parents and pay attention to what YOU do.

The hate-on for OP's parents is a bit ridiculous since none of you have any idea at all of the context.

It's funny how you describe it as hate on when the OP has clearly stated the parents expect a 2 pound weight loss every week and then criticize the amount of exercise. Because we all know, those things are healthy expectations and are overwhelmingly conducive to weight loss.

Because we all know that hearing one extremely biased side of a story tells us all we need to know to jump to valid conclusions...

Because we all know you're actually the fly on the wall?

But...that's exactly what *you* are assuming you are. You have no idea - zero, nada - what the parents actually said, or meant.

Give us a break.

Indeed...

Just about half the threads at MFP involve someone writing about their side of what's going on, whether it's about what their family says, their friends, or their significant others. Of course we hear extremely biased sides of a story. What else would it be? At any rate in all cases, we have no idea what the people actually said or meant. But I'd rather err on the side of the OP and be supportive, encouraging, and realistic...unless weight loss is meant to be something else the rest of us don't know.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    what types of foods are you eating? how much do you exercise?

Neither of these have to do with weight loss. Weight loss is calories in/calorie out to create a calorie deficit.
  • Nerdycurls
    Options
    SLLRunner wrote: »

Neither of these have to do with weight loss. Weight loss is calories in/calorie out to create a calorie deficit.

But they do have to do with health. Can't exactly eat 1,200 calories of pizza and chocolate...
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    Options

But they do have to do with health. Can't exactly eat 1,200 calories of pizza and chocolate...

Huh?

To lose weight, the only requirement for weight loss is a calorie deficit, but you can eat whatever you want that fits in your calorie goals. It might include pizza or chocolate, depends on the person.
  • Therealobi1
    Therealobi1 Posts: 3,261 Member
    Options

It's not hate it's just the usual name calling that happens on MFP.
    The parents need to be careful how they handle a child's weight loss as he/she can develop an eating disorder and self image issues. They need to handle this issue with tact.

OP talk to your parents as suggested and take it slowly. Good luck.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    I wonder what your parents have actually said to you that makes you think they expect 2lb a week weight loss

I also truly wonder if you're an adult
  • allenpriest
    allenpriest Posts: 1,102 Member
    Options
    Your parents need to shut the f- up. I'm probably older than they are. Nagging makes it worse not better. You have to do this for you not them. Their goals are unrealistic and ignorant. You do the research and learn what is realistic. And .5 per week at your height weight age is about all that makes sense.
  • allenpriest
    allenpriest Posts: 1,102 Member
    Options
    You could tell your parents you can't lose weight while pregnant just to see their priorities shift. But I really really really am not suggesting actually getting in that condition.
  • mcahoon79
    mcahoon79 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Patience is definitely the key. Currently I am 186 pounds down from 203 about 9 weeks ago. I am taking in 1200-1300 calories daily, but have a fairly sedentary lifestyle. Just recently I am adding in some exersize. I have not deviated from this calorie intake in the whole 9 weeks but have "only lost 17 pounds." There have been some weeks that I have lost nothing and one week that I gained a pound. Those weeks are the most difficult to stay with the new lifestyle. Weightless is not a linear path. I kept hearing this on the forums and honestly it was annoyed by this statement. I am human. I want things yesterday. This journey is not just about weightless but self discipline and sometimes delayed gratification. As long as you are accurately logging, honest about your activity level and do not have a medical condition it will come off. Good luck and feel free to add me to your friends list.
  • mcahoon79
    mcahoon79 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    You need to let your parents know that too. It will take time to see results. Just be honest.
  • Nerdycurls
    Options

Huh?

To lose weight, the only requirement for weight loss is a calorie deficit, but you can eat whatever you want that fits in your calorie goals. It might include pizza or chocolate, depends on the person.

What I am saying is a person cannot completely subsist off of chocolate and pizza. Is it healthy to have your entire day's worth of 1,200 cals come from pizza and chocolate? Think about the ramifications of what it does to your body. I remember Rush Limbaugh tried to "debunk" some ideas of health and weight loss by citing an anecdotal quasiexperiment someone performed on himself. The guy ate sweets and junk, while limiting his cals, and then lost weight and cited it was just about the calories. Anyone who consistently eats that way will alter their blood sugar levels, leading to insulin problems, and continued havoc on their body.
  • happyfeetrebel1
    happyfeetrebel1 Posts: 1,005 Member
    Options

Of course you can, and you can lose weight doing it. It won't be a good nutritional match for your body, but you can do it. It's not about the what you're eating, as much as it is about how much you're eating.
  • 15off
    15off Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    The hardest thing to do it stay with the program no matter what. People who "give up" have zero chance pf success. If you accept the fact that you may lose a quarter pound a week, and that DOES add up over the weeks, you'll be in it for success. If you want 2 or 3 pounds off a week, you'll either give up very fast or give up after the first few weeks because no one who is not morbidly obese loses a that rate consistently. Takes TIME...look at it this way- in 6 months you can be where you are now, be a few pounds heavier of be 8-10 pounds lighter....
  • Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Alyssa_Is_LosingIt Posts: 4,696 Member
    Options

Huh?

What I am saying is a person cannot completely subsist off of chocolate and pizza. Is it healthy to have your entire day's worth of 1,200 cals come from pizza and chocolate? Think about the ramifications of what it does to your body. I remember Rush Limbaugh tried to "debunk" some ideas of health and weight loss by citing an anecdotal quasiexperiment someone performed on himself. The guy ate sweets and junk, while limiting his cals, and then lost weight and cited it was just about the calories. Anyone who consistently eats that way will alter their blood sugar levels, leading to insulin problems, and continued havoc on their body.

The scientist who went on the Twinkie diet (which is what I believe you're referring to) was overweight when he started, lost weight and improved his blood markers, therefore actually improving his health.

No one on here advocates eating nothing but pizza and chocolate, but including pizza and chocolate in an otherwise healthy diet and active lifestyle will not harm anyone. At all.
  • billymcd
    billymcd Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I am no expert here...but I am finding weighing myself every fortnight and building up my exercise regime seems to be doing the trick (I started off with only 10 mins...but am now up to 30 mins of good cardio. So hang on in there my friend....it's a long road we travel
  • fatcity66
    fatcity66 Posts: 1,544 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Wow, everyone really wants instant gratification nowadays, don't they? I haven't lost weight in a week and a half...my god, it's the end of the wooorrrlllddd! LOL

Read your second post, and I'm sorry about your parents. They sound like jerks. Try to just tune them out as much as possible and do your own thing. Keep at it and you will see results!
  • Tahlia68
    Tahlia68 Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    I think your parent's should be ashamed with there expectation's of you. Your an adult and in charge of your own being. The slower you loose weight the better. If you loose to fast you will likely gain it back plus more. You need to sit down with your parent's and tell them to back off to put it politely. Best of luck. :smile: